06-25-2014 01:22 AM
79 1234
tools
    In the US we are at the mercy of the carriers. Even if Microsoft release it today, we will not have the update until few months after.
    That's bad brother :(
    06-24-2014 07:59 AM
    I'm more excited about the fixed Xbox music app.
    06-24-2014 08:02 AM
    Country Variants should get it first as carriers have to add their own junk before releasing. Glad I changed my ROM from EE UK to GB CV.

We already have it, so I doubt it. It would revert us back to ordinary software instead of dev previews. I get the feeling we will continue getting dev preview updates and will always have a later version than non-dev phones. Kind of like having Firefox Beta, you're always going to have Firefox Beta from then on.
    sorry if this is a dumb question but how did you go about changing the ROM on your phone to a country varient
    06-24-2014 08:11 AM
    If not today then by mid-July Microsoft will have to release the update.
    They cant keep normal consumers waiting for 3 whole months!
    06-24-2014 08:12 AM
    Thanks anshuman for clearing our doubts
    But the good news is that we will get it this month
    What's your source, nothing says so on the onemicrosoft FB page?
    06-24-2014 08:15 AM
    Okay I went ahead and changed the WP8.1 Wikipedia page to be more accurate. See how easy that was?

Windows Phone 8.1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    David P2 and anon(7900571) like this.
    06-24-2014 08:28 AM
    Yes, and we shall particularly emphasis on the "start" part..
    06-24-2014 08:43 AM
    What's your source, nothing says so on the onemicrosoft FB page?
    Read it carefully.
    There's a line at the end
    06-24-2014 08:59 AM
    Just had this tweet from Microsoft UK...

Microsoft UK ‏@MicrosoftUK 4m
    @xxxxxxxxxxxx Great to hear your interest in 8.1. We have no news to share at the current time ....watch this space.

Might be a long wait til we actually see anything
    06-24-2014 09:45 AM
    Can't go by what shows up in Wiki. Wait on official announcements of what is to come.
    06-24-2014 10:02 AM
    Anshuman, I'm excited that you are excited about that. Me, I've given up on that one.....lol. Though your hope is admirable.
    06-24-2014 12:27 PM
    Atleast they should give the dev preview user the Cyan update. That's all we are waiting for.
    UchilHasmit and mozman68 like this.
    06-24-2014 12:31 PM
    Anshuman, I'm excited that you are excited about that. Me, I've given up on that one.....lol. Though your hope is admirable.
    I have no other option man :) since I only use my WP for listening music. I can only hope for a good app...
    06-24-2014 12:56 PM
    Click the link that is listed as a source. It links to this site. The headline says "support", and in the middle of the article it says "June 24. Thats when Microsoft has designated as the start of the lifecycle for Windows Phone 8.1. The lifecycle is the period of time for which Microsoft will provide product support."
    06-24-2014 02:02 PM
    Click the link that is listed as a source. It links to this site. The headline says "support", and in the middle of the article it says "June 24. That’s when Microsoft has designated as the start of the lifecycle for Windows Phone 8.1. The lifecycle is the period of time for which Microsoft will provide product support."
    I edited the article and replaced the line OP is talking about with a more correct statement including a link to WPC as a source.
    06-24-2014 02:46 PM
    sorry if this is a dumb question but how did you go about changing the ROM on your phone to a country varient
    Find a CV ROM for your phone and then flash it using Care Suite.....
    06-24-2014 03:41 PM
    "Windows Phone 8.1, announced at Microsoft's Build Conference in San Francisco, California, on April 2, 2014, is the current generation of Microsoft's Windows Phone mobile operating system, succeeding Windows Phone 8.[3] It was released in final form to Windows Phone developers on April 14, 2014. WP8.1 will roll out to all current Windows Phone 8 users on June 24th, pending carrier approval.[4][5][6][7][8]"
    And here is the place where its mentioned.
    Edited the Wikipedia paragraph and also included the foot note, which, BTW is from here.
    Windows Phone 8.1, announced at Microsoft's Build Conference in San Francisco, California, on April 2, 2014, is the current generation of Microsoft's Windows Phone mobile operating system, succeeding Windows Phone 8.[3] It was released in final form to Windows Phone developers on April 14, 2014. The support cycle for WP8.1 will begin June 24th and is expected to be rolled out to consumers in summer of 2014.[4]
    foot note #4 ^ Windows Phone 8.1 lifecycle support starts June 24th | Windows Phone Central
    Malay Agarwal likes this.
    06-24-2014 04:20 PM
    That would be great even tho Lithuania get the updates far away from the release date
    06-24-2014 04:22 PM
    PENDING CARRIER APPROVAL

For some of us - that may mean never.
    lol I don't have a carrier, does it mean I will get it fast?
    06-24-2014 04:23 PM
    lol I don't have a carrier, does it mean I will get it fast?
    No, those who are on carrier mostly gets the update faster
    06-24-2014 04:30 PM
    No, those who are on carrier mostly gets the update faster
    Why? This seems completely contrary to Android, where the ones with Stock Android and no carrier-lock get the updates first. Because first the manufacturers need to adjust their launchers for the devices and then the carriers put their stamp on it too. So, lets say someone with a carrier-locked Samsung Galaxy S4, will get the newest Android update a lot later than someone with a Nexus 5 (or any other unlocked phone running stock Android).

How does this work on Windows Phone?
    06-24-2014 04:43 PM
    I've only ever had a factory unlocked Windows Phone but it would be similar - updates for the CV handsets don't need carrier approval because they are factory unlocked so have never been locked to a single carrier.
    06-24-2014 04:47 PM
    Why? This seems completely contrary to Android, where the ones with Stock Android and no carrier-lock get the updates first. Because first the manufacturers need to adjust their launchers for the devices and then the carriers put their stamp on it too. So, lets say someone with a carrier-locked Samsung Galaxy S4, will get the newest Android update a lot later than someone with a Nexus 5 (or any other unlocked phone running stock Android).

Before the updates I was tracking which phones gets the update faster those who are worth
    with carriers or not and I noticed that phones who are with carriers mostly gets the update faster.
    06-24-2014 04:50 PM
    Before the updates I was tracking which phones gets the update faster those who are worth
    with carriers or not and I noticed that phones who are with carriers mostly gets the update faster.
    Does this refer to all carriers or only a few from a certain country?
    06-24-2014 04:52 PM

My 920 was a CV Version and I got the last update (Lumia Black) last :(
    My current 1020 from AT&T gets all the stuff way before the CV... :)

Guess depends how dedicated your carrier is.
    06-24-2014 10:42 PM
79 1234