Windows Phone 8.1 update releasing tomorrow? (says the wikipedia page)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jangir Amit

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
susu8y6y.png
nu7amuzy.png

Every website say 24th June are official release date. And wiki says start rolling out from 24th.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
If it's a factory unlocked handset then there is no carrier intervention, else the ROM needs to be flashed to a Country Variant version or you will be stuck waiting until the phone's original network releases their update.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
If I am using an unlocked 1520 on T-Mobile, there is no carrier approval, is there? Plus I already have the dev preview

You'll not have to wait for any carrier approvals and should get the update as soon as it lands on Microsoft servers. I have the preview as well, but as a 1520 user I'm really keen to see what Nokia cyan brings to the table in terms of improvements. I wonder if the official 8.1 version will see any improvements over the preview version.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Country Variants should get it first as carriers have to add their own junk before releasing. Glad I changed my ROM from EE UK to GB CV.

One question. Will official 8.1 be available through developer preview?

We already have it, so I doubt it. It would revert us back to ordinary software instead of dev previews. I get the feeling we will continue getting dev preview updates and will always have a later version than non-dev phones. Kind of like having Firefox Beta, you're always going to have Firefox Beta from then on.

Georgi Ivanov3

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't 24th of June the start date of WP 8.1 lifecycle, NOT the mass release of the update? I haven't seen anywhere a serious news source to claim that MS would release it today..
The way I see things with the release is that the update itself is ready, but they are waiting for Cortana team to launch all the features, planned for the release, since Cortana is in the core of the whole WP 8.1 and WP 9 experience for the future. Imagine they launch 8.1 today, without Cortana even showing your local news feed, temperature in Fahrenheit only, 10 jokes in total, and limited chit-chat.. that would be a disaster for a start.. launching an incomplete piece of software that is not 100% sure that will do what it is supposed to, would ruin everything, even though we all know what the plan is and how great Cortana will be..
Another thing to consider is that the official WP 8.1 SHOULD update Skype, as it is also a core product of the OS. There were news that Skype for 8.1 would be very different from what we have now.. I am not sure if Skype would be ready..

I am afraid if they launch the 8.1 before they are ready with Cortana and other details, they would ruin the whole OS. We, here that tested the new OS really don't care so much of the bugs or incompleteness of some software or missing one, but try to give feedback and work to make the OS better. Out there are many people that will not give Windows a second or third chance if they mess things this time..

SoullessOnyx

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
"PENDING CARRIER APPROVAL" ....

Great, looks like I will be waiting around 27 and a half years seeing as EE take there time, hell they don't even support there App anymore.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
the chart kinda indicated the update will be on the 26, not the 24. soooo im not sure what is going on with everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234