Windows Phone 8.1 update releasing tomorrow? (says the wikipedia page)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Click the link that is listed as a source. It links to this site. The headline says "support", and in the middle of the article it says "June 24. That?s when Microsoft has designated as the start of the lifecycle for Windows Phone 8.1. The lifecycle is the period of time for which Microsoft will provide product support."

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Click the link that is listed as a source. It links to this site. The headline says "support", and in the middle of the article it says "June 24. That’s when Microsoft has designated as the start of the lifecycle for Windows Phone 8.1. The lifecycle is the period of time for which Microsoft will provide product support."

I edited the article and replaced the line OP is talking about with a more correct statement including a link to WPC as a source.

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
"Windows Phone 8.1, announced at Microsoft's Build Conference in San Francisco, California, on April 2, 2014, is the current generation of Microsoft's Windows Phone mobile operating system, succeeding Windows Phone 8.[3] It was released in final form to Windows Phone developers on April 14, 2014. WP8.1 will roll out to all current Windows Phone 8 users on June 24th, pending carrier approval.[4][5][6][7][8]"
And here is the place where its mentioned.

Edited the Wikipedia paragraph and also included the foot note, which, BTW is from here.
Windows Phone 8.1, announced at Microsoft's Build Conference in San Francisco, California, on April 2, 2014, is the current generation of Microsoft's Windows Phone mobile operating system, succeeding Windows Phone 8.[3] It was released in final form to Windows Phone developers on April 14, 2014. The support cycle for WP8.1 will begin June 24th and is expected to be rolled out to consumers in summer of 2014.[4]
foot note #4 ^ Windows Phone 8.1 lifecycle support starts June 24th | Windows Phone Central

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
No, those who are on carrier mostly gets the update faster

Why? This seems completely contrary to Android, where the ones with Stock Android and no carrier-lock get the updates first. Because first the manufacturers need to adjust their launchers for the devices and then the carriers put their stamp on it too. So, lets say someone with a carrier-locked Samsung Galaxy S4, will get the newest Android update a lot later than someone with a Nexus 5 (or any other unlocked phone running stock Android).

How does this work on Windows Phone?

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I've only ever had a factory unlocked Windows Phone but it would be similar - updates for the CV handsets don't need carrier approval because they are factory unlocked so have never been locked to a single carrier.

saras112

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Why? This seems completely contrary to Android, where the ones with Stock Android and no carrier-lock get the updates first. Because first the manufacturers need to adjust their launchers for the devices and then the carriers put their stamp on it too. So, lets say someone with a carrier-locked Samsung Galaxy S4, will get the newest Android update a lot later than someone with a Nexus 5 (or any other unlocked phone running stock Android).

Before the updates I was tracking which phones gets the update faster those who are worth
with carriers or not and I noticed that phones who are with carriers mostly gets the update faster.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Before the updates I was tracking which phones gets the update faster those who are worth
with carriers or not and I noticed that phones who are with carriers mostly gets the update faster.

Does this refer to all carriers or only a few from a certain country?

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

My 920 was a CV Version and I got the last update (Lumia Black) last :(
My current 1020 from AT&T gets all the stuff way before the CV... :)

Guess depends how dedicated your carrier is.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Today and many more days ago I found many headlines (not on WP Central) saying that WP8.1 global rollout is set for 24th June (Yup, tomorrow). Even Wikipedia says so. I just wanted to confirm this?
Is it true?
24th June is the date when the support-cycle of windows phone 8.1 starts!
Its not the release date!

anon(2701007)

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Wait. You mean to tell me that I got deal with a freaking carrier approval crap? I had to deal with when I used Android WTH???

I know I'm using Android terms here next but you'll get what I mean:

Is there a way to root the phone and flash it with a custom ROM or something? I thought WP devices were like iPhones, you get the updates without the carrier B.S. Part.

rick98761

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Wait. You mean to tell me that I got deal with a freaking carrier approval crap? I had to deal with when I used Android WTH???

I know I'm using Android terms here next but you'll get what I mean:

Is there a way to root the phone and flash it with a custom ROM or something? I thought WP devices were like iPhones, you get the updates without the carrier B.S. Part.

Nothing you can really do. Install the dev preview though. It is 99% of what the update you will get, and it will always keep you up to date with the windows portion. Carriers control firmware updates though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077