Help: No customization bar in start screen!

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Ever since update 1, the customization bar at the bottom that you get when you right click on a start screen tile is no where to be found.

I can still move around the existing tiles, but it is not possible for me to resize or remove the tile.

I cannot find the customization bar at the bottom like in this picture. windows81-start-screen.jpg

All I can get is a check mark on the upper right corner of the tile when I right click, but no customization bar at the bottom.

What can I do to get the full customization back?

Anyone else with this issue?

Thank you so much!

vassilis1924

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey there!
By Update 1, you mean Windows 8.1 Update 1?
If so, you are supposed to get a drop down menu (which sports the same settings as the customization bar) when you right click a tile. Like this:
Screenshot.jpg
Is that what you get?

P.S. The language of my Windows is Greek. Sorry about that. But I think you'll get the point.

vassilis1924

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
(EDIT: I found out that if you select a tile and press "WINDOWS LOGO + Z" brings up the customization bar.
I'm still working on it)
Not a proper solution, but to only get a checkmark you should press ctrl+right click. Maybe for some reason this is reversed for you.

PS: Do you use a mouse or the laptop's touchpad? Maybe it's a driver's thing.

PPS: I will do some research and come back if/when I find a certain solution for you!

Last edited:

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
(EDIT: I found out that if you select a tile and press "WINDOWS LOGO + Z" brings up the customization bar.
I'm still working on it)
Not a proper solution, but to only get a checkmark you should press ctrl+right click. Maybe for some reason this is reversed for you.

PS: Do you use a mouse or the laptop's touchpad? Maybe it's a driver's thing.

PPS: I will do some research and come back if/when I find a certain solution for you!

Oh YES, Windows logo + Z works!

This should be fine since I rarely ever change my start screen, but I had to switch now.

I am using a laptop touchpad, I will certainly check the drivers.

Thank you again for your help!

vassilis1924

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Oh YES, Windows logo + Z works!

This should be fine since I rarely ever change my start screen, but I had to switch now.

I am using a laptop touchpad, I will certainly check the drivers.

Thank you again for your help!

You are very welcome!

Sadly, I couldn't find any additional info.
But I'm glad I could help even with that little!!

In conclusion, yes check the drivers.
From what i have read, Windows behaves differently with a mouse than it does with a touch screen.
So in your situation, maybe it confuses your touchpad with a touch screen, so it expects you to use touch gestures instead of mouse clicks. (like touch & hold a tile instead right-clicking on it).

Just speculating though. :)

Please inform me if you find the solution :)

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Okay, just for future reference.

I just found that after I right click a tile and then, swipe down on my touchpad (from top edge to bottom edge), I get a customization bar at the bottom of the screen. But nothing happens if I just right click on a tile.

Anyways, swiping down on the touchpad is not that big a deal, and I don't change the start screen that often, so it is that big a deal.

But it is just weird that others are not having this issue.

vassilis1924

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
It's really strange. Who knows...
Have you tried updating the touchpad's drivers?
But straight from the touchpad's manufacturer (e.g. Synaptics)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb