How to enable only MMS (without paying for mobile data connection)

nyolc8

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
So I just realized yesterday that my phone (L520 WP8) can't send or receive MMS without turning Data Connection on. I don't have any mobile data plan so when I turned it on, my phone randomly accessed the internet and I had to pay much for it. But I found (okay maybe many of you already know this, or thought about this) a way to allow only MMS to work without the fear to paying for unwanted mobile data traffic.

So here's how to allow only MMS:

1. Go into Settings -> Access Point
2. Create new
3. Name it something (for example "Only MMS")
4. Then in the "internet APN" section, you need to use random fake things. For example:
  • access point name: ijustwantmms
  • username: aaa
  • password: bbb
  • proxy address: 127.0.0.1
  • proxy port: 8888
  • (leave the rest default)
5. Then you need to fill out the "MMS APN" section with your correct carrier's MMS APN settings.
6. Save it and select it to make it "active".
7. Go into Settings -> Cellular
8. Enable "Data connection"

From now MMS will be received but you won't have to pay for random mobile data traffic.

If MMS still not working:
9. Go into Settings -> Cellular -> add mms apn
10. Fill it with correct MMS APN settings by your carrier.

(Note: I do not take responsibility if you still need to pay for something, I tested this method on my own phone - Nokia Lumia 520 T-Mobile(Telekom) Hungary - and it worked nicely.)

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
thats helpful. good. i will try it.
anyways, i wonder, who uses MMS anymore? when lots of msgs apps like Whatsapp and Hike, why to spend on MMS?

nyolc8

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday someone wanted to send me an MMS, and then I realized it's not working. And I just thought I share this trick for others. But you're right, almost nobody uses MMS these days :)

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
In the US MMS is still used. Most plans come with unlimited texting. SMS is still the preferred way of messaging.
I use MMS sending pics to non-iPhone users

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs