For current 8.1 developers and the roll out

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
How come iPhone users can all know exactly when iOS is going to be available for download?
Why can they download it on Day 1 instead of this carrier BS that Windows Phone users have to suffer with?

There are many reasons, but in a nutshell, it is because Apple has made legal arrangements with carriers. If carriers want to have the iPhone on offer, they must accept that Apple dictates the release date.

In contrast, MS isn't even the company selling WP devices to carriers, so they aren't even in the room for those negotiations.

raptr569

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
How come iPhone users can all know exactly when iOS is going to be available for download?
Why can they download it on Day 1 instead of this carrier BS that Windows Phone users have to suffer with?

I've often wondered this myself, it's a similar situation for Android too. I can only assume that Apple are in a position to tell the carriers how they want things to go and if the carriers don't agree then my guess would be Apple would tell them they aren't going to be getting iPhones to sell. With iPhones being attached to only the premium contracts I would suspect the carriers have no other choice than to do what Apple says for fear of losing such a profitable device.

<edit>

How to Geek have a great article about exactly this... Pretty much what I assume, Apple were smart enough to tell carriers how the updates were going to go.

Why Do Carriers Delay Updates for Android But Not iPhone?

</edit>

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I've often wondered this myself, it's a similar situation for Android too. I can only assume that Apple are in a position to tell the carriers how they want things to go and if the carriers don't agree then my guess would be Apple would tell them they aren't going to be getting iPhones to sell. With iPhones being attached to only the premium contracts I would suspect the carriers have no other choice than to do what Apple says for fear of losing such a profitable device.

<edit>

How to Geek have a great article about exactly this... Pretty much what I assume, Apple were smart enough to tell carriers how the updates were going to go.

Why Do Carriers Delay Updates for Android But Not iPhone?

</edit>

Same situation with Windows Phone.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

The article glosses over a few things, particularly in the segment about WP. That WP is in the same boat as Android isn't correct. The fact that carriers have no direct influence on the OS is one huge difference, or that the OS, just as with iPhone, is the same for every WP device in the world (not 100% true, but for all practical purposes it is). That is entirely different from Android.

It's also not strictly correct that carriers don't test iPhones. They do, but they have strict deadlines to submit feedback to Apple and Apple decides if they want to care about it.

Arshad Ismail

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I'm here with a happy news for Indian users. The long awaited Lumia cyan update will rollout In India in august onwards. I got this information from an Indian newspaper confirmed by a Microsoft employee.

guri21

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I'm here with a happy news for Indian users. The long awaited Lumia cyan update will rollout In India in august onwards. I got this information from an Indian newspaper confirmed by a Microsoft employee.

Ohhh is that a good news???
Btw which newspaper??
No such news on TOI...

mukulagarwal

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
How can this be true?generally lerning from previous release of update I think ,same models almost get update together in various countries.
Do u have any evidence??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99