06-27-2014 05:34 AM
29 12
tools
    Will those of us who already have 8.1 get a new update when the official release comes out?
    06-25-2014 04:38 AM
    Will those of us who already have 8.1 get a new update when the official release comes out?
    We'll get Lumia Cyan when our carriers decide to release it to us.
    06-25-2014 04:47 AM
    Great. Knowing Verizon it will be in a year.
    06-25-2014 04:56 AM
    AT&T is even worse.
    06-25-2014 04:58 AM
    Not really... Lumia black was released within a week so hoping that cyan will have the same result... In the mean time this latest developers preview kicks ***
    06-25-2014 05:05 AM
    What about for htc 8x and 8s phones? Is there a release window for them? People always seem to forget about the other brands.
    06-25-2014 05:31 AM
    What about for htc 8x and 8s phones? Is there a release window for them? People always seem to forget about the other brands.
    Right now there are about 1 million other brands 😁. Thought HTC said something about summer though
    06-25-2014 05:44 AM
    We'll get Lumia Cyan when our carriers decide to release it to us.
    Well, we'll get the manufacturer firmware when carriers decide to release it unless you have a SIM free device. Lumia Cyan, as you know, is exclusive to Nokia/Microsoft Mobile Oy devices.
    06-25-2014 05:53 AM
    Right now there are about 1 million other brands . Thought HTC said something about summer though
    That's still a significant number though, I just don't know why people forget that Samsung, HTC and Huawai even exist!!!
    06-25-2014 05:55 AM
    That's still a significant number though, I just don't know why people forget that Samsung, HTC and Huawai even exist!!!
    Well lets see, Have HTC, Samsung or Huawei announced any 8.1 device? Well then
    06-25-2014 05:58 AM
    Well lets see, Have HTC, Samsung or Huawei announced any 8.1 device? Well then
    Not yet, but they aren't all like Nokia who announce a new phone each week. There is a rumour about a HTC One M8 variant coming in the W8 but Huawai and Samsung haven't announced anything yet, but that doesn't mean they have nothing in the pipeline though.

Even so 1m in sales of other brands, as I already said, is still a significant number and should be respected.
    06-25-2014 06:07 AM
    Well, we'll get the manufacturer firmware when carriers decide to release it unless you have a SIM free device. Lumia Cyan, as you know, is exclusive to Nokia/Microsoft Mobile Oy devices.
    If you want to add other manufacturers and the firmware they'll get, go ahead. But we, the public, will get Lumia Cyan when our carriers decide to release it to us, as I said. It's taken for granted that you'll need to own a Lumia to get it. It's in the name "Lumia Cyan".
    06-25-2014 06:19 AM
    If you want to add other manufacturers and the firmware they'll get, go ahead. But we, the public, will get Lumia Cyan when our carriers decide to release it to us, as I said. It's taken for granted that you'll need to own a Lumia to get it. It's in the name "Lumia Cyan".
    How do you know what phone the OP has, for all you know they might have an iPhone 5s?
    06-25-2014 06:29 AM
    Guys. An entry on someone's profile doesn't necessarily mean that the person actually owns a particular device (or still owns it if it's been replaced by something else).

The OP implies ownership of a WP8.x device or is using "us" in the context of fellow community members. There's no need to get siderailed by the iPhone issue.

The actual answer is that people running 8.1 DP will get the final customer build when it's released, at which point they will be on the same update cycle as everyone else (develop preview will not enable you to get any other updates earlier than anyone else until WP8.2).

The Cyan update is only applicable to Lumia branded handsets. Other manufacturers will release accompanying firmware along with the public release of WP8.1
    06-25-2014 07:38 AM
    Thanks but a simple yes would have been good enough for me. :)
    mary beth hale and Pete like this.
    06-25-2014 09:31 AM
    [WARN]
    Thread cleaned.
    No more arguing please...
    [/WARN]
    anon(7900571) and mmsea like this.
    06-25-2014 10:48 AM
    The release on all devices is carrier dependent unless you have an unlocked device non carrier branded in which case MS will release whenever
    06-25-2014 11:03 AM
    The HTC phones will get the update earlier than most Nokias. My 8S received all updates within a week with the HTC part.
    Yunzip likes this.
    06-26-2014 06:05 AM
    06-26-2014 06:30 AM
    How come iPhone users can all know exactly when iOS is going to be available for download?
    Why can they download it on Day 1 instead of this carrier BS that Windows Phone users have to suffer with?
    06-26-2014 08:41 AM
    How come iPhone users can all know exactly when iOS is going to be available for download?
    Why can they download it on Day 1 instead of this carrier BS that Windows Phone users have to suffer with?
    There are many reasons, but in a nutshell, it is because Apple has made legal arrangements with carriers. If carriers want to have the iPhone on offer, they must accept that Apple dictates the release date.

In contrast, MS isn't even the company selling WP devices to carriers, so they aren't even in the room for those negotiations.
    06-26-2014 08:52 AM
    I've often wondered this myself, it's a similar situation for Android too. I can only assume that Apple are in a position to tell the carriers how they want things to go and if the carriers don't agree then my guess would be Apple would tell them they aren't going to be getting iPhones to sell. With iPhones being attached to only the premium contracts I would suspect the carriers have no other choice than to do what Apple says for fear of losing such a profitable device.

<edit>

How to Geek have a great article about exactly this... Pretty much what I assume, Apple were smart enough to tell carriers how the updates were going to go.

Why Do Carriers Delay Updates for Android But Not iPhone?

</edit>
    06-26-2014 08:53 AM
    I've often wondered this myself, it's a similar situation for Android too. I can only assume that Apple are in a position to tell the carriers how they want things to go and if the carriers don't agree then my guess would be Apple would tell them they aren't going to be getting iPhones to sell. With iPhones being attached to only the premium contracts I would suspect the carriers have no other choice than to do what Apple says for fear of losing such a profitable device.

<edit>

How to Geek have a great article about exactly this... Pretty much what I assume, Apple were smart enough to tell carriers how the updates were going to go.

Why Do Carriers Delay Updates for Android But Not iPhone?

</edit>
    Same situation with Windows Phone.
    06-26-2014 02:28 PM
    The article glosses over a few things, particularly in the segment about WP. That WP is in the same boat as Android isn't correct. The fact that carriers have no direct influence on the OS is one huge difference, or that the OS, just as with iPhone, is the same for every WP device in the world (not 100% true, but for all practical purposes it is). That is entirely different from Android.

It's also not strictly correct that carriers don't test iPhones. They do, but they have strict deadlines to submit feedback to Apple and Apple decides if they want to care about it.
    06-26-2014 02:59 PM
    Guys, I'm here with a happy news for Indian users. The long awaited Lumia cyan update will rollout In India in august onwards. I got this information from an Indian newspaper confirmed by a Microsoft employee.
    06-26-2014 10:21 PM
29 12