Outlook email account exists but can't be seen

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
My MS ID is (removed). So I created an email account in WP8 using the POP mail type account. Later, I added an alias, (Removed), to the MS ID above. Then I added another email account in WP8 using the Outlook type for this alias. Afterwards, I could see email going first to my POP email tile, then going to the Outlook tile. When I tap the POP mail tile, there aren't any emails as everything has gone over to the Outlook mail account.

So, I thought, if the POP mail account gets email first, why do I need the Outlook account? So I tried to delete the Outlook account on the phone but couldn't find a delete button. So then I just unchecked the sync box to "disable" the Outlook account.

And that's when the trouble began. The POP mail account still receives email, but continues to be cleared out. On my W8.1 laptop, I continue to receive email so I know there's incoming mail. HOWEVER, the (Removed) email account isn't visible in my app list. If I try to add it, the phone says the account already exists in my app list.

Anybody know of this or how to fix this short of a full reset? TIA

Last edited by a moderator:

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Mainly because I thought Exchange Active Sync requires an Exchange server and John@JohnsDomain.com is a POP mail account. John@outlook.com was setup with the default WP8 outlook wizard. If my understanding is wrong, which is usually the case, please advise what I need to do here. Thanks!

BTW, I've just Binged "what is exchange ActiveSync" and my understanding isn't any clearer

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like there's a few issues going on.
Starting with the alias(es) created for your Outlook.com account - IIRC they, by default, get delivered to a subfolder of your Inbox. I suspect that might be why some of the mails "appear" then "disappear". Leave the phone to one side for the moment, and (assuming this is what you want to achieve) go to Outlook.com and find the setting to have mails for your alias delivered to your Inbox folder. I've just tried looking for this setting again, but can't find it - it must be in there somewhere though, apologies I can't tell you exactly where.
Once the Outlook.com side of stuff is delivering mail (aliased or not) to one folder it's time to take a look at the phone.
I'd be removing both accounts and just setting up one. Forget POP, let Windows Phone find the account type itself. Enter the primary email address (or alias - remembering that the display name for the account may show as whichever one you enter) and follow it through.
If it wants details to be entered manually, yes, anything other than POP. Use IMAP, Exchange ActiveSync or anything else really.

Edit: this is one way of having aliased mail delivered to a single folder http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-from-my/309b3d68-dbdb-42e4-85b3-afe8293fd6f2

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Starting with the alias(es) created for your Outlook.com account - IIRC they, by default, get delivered to a subfolder of your Inbox. I suspect that might be why some of the mails "appear" then "disappear". Leave the phone to one side for the moment, and (assuming this is what you want to achieve) go to Outlook.com and find the setting to have mails for your alias delivered to your Inbox folder.

No, there are no subfolders with the missing emails in either the primary ID or the alias. Email on a W8 synced laptop reflects my desired state - Primary ID and alias email go to the inbox. The POP type account I can just ignore and endure the slight delay of mail going to the Outlook type account. The PROBLEM is the Outlook type account on the phone is invisible. I can't see it but WP says it already exists.

Once the Outlook.com side of stuff is delivering mail (aliased or not) to one folder it's time to take a look at the phone.
I'd be removing both accounts and just setting up one.

Show me how to remove a mail account on WP8. I can't find a way.

Forget POP, let Windows Phone find the account type itself. Enter the primary email address (or alias - remembering that the display name for the account may show as whichever one you enter) and follow it through.
If it wants details to be entered manually, yes, anything other than POP. Use IMAP, Exchange ActiveSync or anything else really.

Thanks for this tip. I'll try it as soon as I can figure out how to remove those 2 accounts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos