Newbie to Windows Phone 8.1

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello friends,

So, after poll in different part of forum I decided that L930 will be my new phone for some years. Now that I come from MeeGo platform, which I like for its simplicity, I am a bit afraid to come to new platforms, because even after reading many of topics, I don't know, what I will meet in WP8.1, or better said, to what I will be pushed.
So after thinking, what I think I am going to meet and fight against, here is my list of questions. I am pretty sure most of them I can find here or on Google, but I think it will better to hear opinions from people "in field":

- how is it with integration with FB / Skype / LinkedIn accounts ?
Somewhere I read that I need to pair them with MS ID to get some notifications or feeds ?! On MeeGo, I use to just enter accounts (now I have only FB, but that's enough for example) and on News Feed screen I got all news, notifications (about messages as well), so I hope I will get something similar also on WP8.1 (although we have only DP version now). How is it with link / unlink of accounts ?
I also read about pairing Skype ID with MS ID - will I loss something on Skype for Desktop ? I.e. file transfer is must-have, but I read plenty of complaints, and does not look like MS will integrate this function anytime soon.
- how is it with cloud integration ?
OneDrive looks like good platform, but what I am afraid, is that it will automatically sync all of my stuff from phone, and I am not worrying about photos, but contacts, and I am hardly against any sync of my personal contacts to cloud - I prefer backup to my PC, so is there possibility to set, what will be synced ? Am I forced to use OneDrive or can I use DropBox instead for backup of photos and such stuff ?
- attachments to emails ?
Is it possible finally ? I was thinking if it's possible to use email via separate application which will allow attachments (?). In any case, is there on market some good email application, which you can recommend ? Mostly to work on GMail.
- USB OTG ?
I read somewhere about "ninko+WP", kind of SW with USB flash as well ? I am wondering if we can at least expect, that something like that will happen ? I am not afraid about capacity (32GB are more than enough for me), but just for curiosity.
- music integration ?
Well, on N9 I use to use native music app, but as library is grooving, native app is really messing up with covers, so sometimes I have one cover adjusted to 80% of music, which should have separate cover for each song and only deleting a resync of music will correct that (unfortunately, sometimes just for few days).
So how good is Xbox Music ? I don't own Xbox, and I read it is really poor experience to use it. Is there a good music application, so I can pull of Xbox tile and replace it ? Is Xbox messing up with media files every time, or I can deny its access ? For photos and video I expect Nokia's stuff in charge.
- some of your tips for applications ?
For YouTube I heard about Metrotube, mostly only good voices about it.
Soundcloud official app ? Or do I have to look for something separate ?
Spotify is already as official app, right ?
Timer / stop-watch app ? Browser app ? Is IE already good enough or should I look to something separate ?
- and final must-have:
Is there possiblity to set own ringtones (for whole contact list or separate contacts) ? Same applies to alarm ringtones ?

Thank you for time anybody will be willing to spend on this. As I said, I am sure most of the things are already discussed somewhere here, but better to try to get some fresh info. Feel free to send a links where I can find answers.

Bobi.

SammyD_L625

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Metromail us a pretty good email app. You can set your own ringtones using Ringtone Maker but i don't think you for alarms. There's an app called sound cloud in store but i don't know if its official. If you don't like it try music+. Spotify is an official app yes. There's no built in timer or stopwatch but there are tons of 3rd party options. IE is good enough for me. If it fails to satisfy your needs, try UC browser. Oh almost forgot, welcome to WP.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello friends,

So, after poll in different part of forum I decided that L930 will be my new phone for some years. Now that I come from MeeGo platform, which I like for its simplicity, I am a bit afraid to come to new platforms, because even after reading many of topics, I don't know, what I will meet in WP8.1, or better said, to what I will be pushed.
So after thinking, what I think I am going to meet and fight against, here is my list of questions. I am pretty sure most of them I can find here or on Google, but I think it will better to hear opinions from people "in field":

- how is it with integration with FB / Skype / LinkedIn accounts ?
Somewhere I read that I need to pair them with MS ID to get some notifications or feeds ?! On MeeGo, I use to just enter accounts (now I have only FB, but that's enough for example) and on News Feed screen I got all news, notifications (about messages as well), so I hope I will get something similar also on WP8.1 (although we have only DP version now). How is it with link / unlink of accounts ?
Integration is no longer as tightly integrated in 8.1, in exchange for updatability.
You don't need to link those accounts with your MS account, you can simply add them on the phone like any other phone.
You can, however, link them, but that's more in Windows 8.1, Outlook.com land.

I also read about pairing Skype ID with MS ID - will I loss something on Skype for Desktop ? I.e. file transfer is must-have, but I read plenty of complaints, and does not look like MS will integrate this function anytime soon.
Pairing them shouldn't make a difference whatsoever, just one less account to remember.
OneDrive looks like good platform, but what I am afraid, is that it will automatically sync all of my stuff from phone, and I am not worrying about photos, but contacts, and I am hardly against any sync of my personal contacts to cloud - I prefer backup to my PC, so is there possibility to set, what will be synced ? Am I forced to use OneDrive or can I use DropBox instead for backup of photos and such stuff ?
You won't be able to use another service, but I believe its possible, just not to the extent. (a la iCloud)
I don't think I understand fully. Could you clarify?
- attachments to emails ?
Is it possible finally ? I was thinking if it's possible to use email via separate application which will allow attachments (?). In any case, is there on market some good email application, which you can recommend ? Mostly to work on GMail.
You can always attach stuff, but its probably best to go to an app, share the object via email, then compose the email.
MetroMail, I've heard, is a good Gmail client, but I personally get by fine with the normal email app.

- USB OTG ?
I read somewhere about "ninko+WP", kind of SW with USB flash as well ? I am wondering if we can at least expect, that something like that will happen ? I am not afraid about capacity (32GB are more than enough for me), but just for curiosity.
ninko+WP appears to be its own solution/workaround, but there is no OTG on WP as of now. Unclear if it will appear.
- music integration ?
Well, on N9 I use to use native music app, but as library is grooving, native app is really messing up with covers, so sometimes I have one cover adjusted to 80% of music, which should have separate cover for each song and only deleting a resync of music will correct that (unfortunately, sometimes just for few days).
So how good is Xbox Music ? I can't speak for the service itself, but the 8.1 app is serviceable. I don't own Xbox, Not a problem. and I read it is really poor experience to use it. It was initially, but its decent now, not the same, but usable. Is there a good music application, there are a few, Nokia MixRadio, the old Music app is accessible, etc. so I can pull of Xbox tile and replace it ? Is Xbox messing up with media files every time, or I can deny its access ? For photos and video I expect Nokia's stuff in charge.
- some of your tips for applications ?
For YouTube I heard about Metrotube, mostly only good voices about it. Yup, myTube is also another fine option.
Soundcloud official app ? Or do I have to look for something separate ?
Spotify is already as official app, right ? Yes, but we aren't on 100% parity with our mobile counterparts.
Timer / stop-watch app ? Available. Browser app ? Is IE already good enough or should I look to something separate ? IE is all one would really need, if you don't like it, you could get others, but know they all use IE to render, just have different featuresets and UI.
- and final must-have:
Is there possiblity to set own ringtones (for whole contact list or separate contacts) ? Same applies to alarm ringtones ?
Individual contacts can have custom ring and text tones set. There is a normal ringtone select as well.
Alarms can be customized as well.

Thank you for time anybody will be willing to spend on this. As I said, I am sure most of the things are already discussed somewhere here, but better to try to get some fresh info. Feel free to send a links where I can find answers.

Bobi.

as my usual methodology, my input it above in bold. (apologies to app users, I'll change later)

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
xandros9 said:
Onedrive looks like good platform, but what i am afraid, is that it will automatically sync all of my stuff from phone, and i am not worrying about photos, but contacts, and i am hardly against any sync of my personal contacts to cloud - i prefer backup to my pc, so is there possibility to set, what will be synced ? Am i forced to use onedrive or can i use dropbox instead for backup of photos and such stuff ?
you won't be able to use another service, but i believe its possible, just not to the extent. (a la icloud)
i don't think i understand fully. Could you clarify?

Yes, I wrote this in messy way, so let me try to clean up my thoughts:

- I want to switch off sync to OneDrive until I get more familiar with WP itself (hope this operation will not cut me from free 7GB as part of offer of L930).
- I will look for some app for Dropbox since I don't see anything official, but there is something called "CloudSix", looks good.
- Maybe later I will decide to use OneDrive, so what I want, is shut off sync of personal contacts, and allow only media stuff.

Hope this is more clear. I am really not fan of cloud (besides of fact, that I use Dropbox for some general stuff I am not worried about).

Bobi.

SammyD_L625

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
[/b]

- I want to switch off sync to OneDrive until I get more familiar with WP itself (hope this operation will not cut me from free 7GB as part of offer of L930).
- I will look for some app for Dropbox since I don't see anything official, but there is something called "CloudSix", looks good.
- Maybe later I will decide to use OneDrive, so what I want, is shut off sync of personal contacts, and allow only media stuff.

Hope this is more clear. I am really not fan of cloud (besides of fact, that I use Dropbox for some general stuff I am not worried about).

Bobi.

Your contacts don't sync to one drive I think but to your Microsoft account. You can even sync to your google account instead

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
[/b]

Bobi.

turning off as many OneDrive features as you can will not affect your OneDrive negatively. the 7 GB baseline is normal for any account, and actually will be bumped to 15 soon.

CloudSix is the first choice, the developer has quite the reputation for filling the holes in the store with quality offerings.

contacts don't sync to OneDrive, they sync to the cloud service of your choice, whether its google, outlook.com, etc.

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello people,

So, I am starting to getting used to using WP8.1, but I do have one question:

How is possible to add phone contact without choosing Outlook or Google ?
By manual on WP site, I went to People, then Contacts and choosed to Add, but I was offered to choose "sync" to Outlook or Google.
I am not interested in this, even MeeGo offered me simply add phone number, name etc., and eventually later "merge" contacts with Skype, FB, GMail etc.

Can somebody explain this ? I still have an option to import contacts from MeeGo via Bluetooth, but I use to making contact list from scratch.

Bobi.

Sthalvo

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Is somebody willing to give me at least straight-forward answer ? I want to start to use my phone as much as possible...

Hi.
Go to the Persons app and add what ever account you want to take contacts from. It then merges all the contacts from the accounts you added and makes one list of contacts. It also merges the same person from different accounts eg. Facebook and Outlook, and stores all the info on that person under one name, so you don't have duplicates of the same person. And it does a whole lot of other great stuff to. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)