Emoji And The WP 8.1 Keyboard.

nightspark

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Now that emoji are integrated with the keyboard, do they work properly? Are they suppose to replace the word they represent? I have to press space bar in order to get to emoji to appear. I always thought that didn't make any sense because it just adds characters. SwiftKey, on my nexus 7, has the emoji appear with out having to press space and when you select them, they replace the word they represent. Which way is the right way? I like SwiftKey's method more.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
What app or feature are you using the emojis?

I don't need to press the space key. I piers the key that looks like a smiley face to get emojis. Yes, they work. 😊 👍
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
gyme4ymy.png

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Laura, the OP meant that the moment :) is pressed on the keyboard the should appear but instead he/she has to press the space bar for it to show as an emoji unlike his/her Nexus where the emoji shows up the moment the characters for the emoji are typed

@OP: the space is for the delimitter so that the keyboard understands that the word was meant to be a smiley and not some random math formula

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

nightspark

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Laura, the OP meant that the moment :) is pressed on the keyboard the should appear but instead he/she has to press the space bar for it to show as an emoji unlike his/her Nexus where the emoji shows up the moment the characters for the emoji are typed

@OP: the space is for the delimitter so that the keyboard understands that the word was meant to be a smiley and not some random math formula

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk
The issue isn't having emoji replace things like :), it's when they are used to represent words. Like 😊 🎂, 🌃, 🍀, 😡 , 😔. WP gives me the emoji replacement after I type the word and press space. I end up having to use the word and the emoji together or press backspace to replace the word. SwiftKey gives me the suggestion as I'm typing and can replace the word just be picking the emoji that represents the word (no need to backspace).

Since I always thought emoji were suppose to replace words (not all the time), it's extra keystrokes that don't need to be made IMO. That's why I was wondering which implementation is the correct one, SwiftKey or WP's? Oh, and I'm usually texting when I'm using them.

Brandon McLean

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I have found that if I choose the suggested emoji before I hit the space bar then it replaces the typed word.

That's only if you type the word, press the emoji symbol and use the emoji suggested after going into the emoji section. I think the OP is talking about the emoji suggested directly after typing the word.

For example if you swipe type "smile", the 😊 emoji appears in the word flow suggestions, but when you press the emoji, it is simply placed after the word smile instead of replacing it.

@OP I always thought it was weird too. What I do though, is tap the word I typed (to highlight it) and tap the emoji. it's an extra gesture but it's the fastest way, afaik.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte