Does anyone actually use the notifications center?

Anudeep Reddy

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I've read people saying that Live Tiles are just as good and all. But they're only really useful when they're pinned to the Start Screen. And pinning all of the apps is ridiculous.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
First off, just because your experience with it has you thinking it's lacking doesn't make it a universal truth. To me it does exactly what it's supposed to do - notifies me. It tells me that there is an email from amazon but doesn't give me details - so I choose not to unlock my phone to read it - it's not important enough for me to do so. Thus it's a "Notification Center" - not a "Shortcut to opening my emails without unlocking my phone Center"

But if it doesn't work for you - that's cool too. It sounds like you are unhappy with the WP experience; which is also fine - it's not made for everyone. And it sounds like you really enjoy the Android experience - maybe you should go back to it.

Sorry Crystal, where is that i wrote that my opinion was an universal truth? I can't remember saying anything like that. This is a thread where people express their opinions. I am happy to you does what you want it to do. Just leave some room for those who don't think it works properly compared to alternative solutions.

As to this "which is also fine - it's not made for everyone. And it sounds like you really enjoy the Android experience - maybe you should go back to it."
You must have missed some of my posts. Let me brush up:
A) I am already on Android. I bought a 1520 out of the need to remove Google from my life and didn't manage because WP is lacking. For most tasks i use a Galaxy Note II.
B) When you say "It's not for everyone" you seem to be hinting at some sort of exclusivity for a few expert connoisseurs. I respect that opinion of course. However such "exclusivity" (for me limitations and not surely due to the exclusive originality of the concept) are relegating the system to a marginal role in the market, and that market share keeps shrinking in some key markets, like Asia. When implementing OS for people to be sold globally, you not only focus on "originality" of concept. You also need to focus on usability, ease of use and a series of other things (just two or three things).
I am sure there are reasons for all this. And as an user of both Android and WP i bet most users are tired of subpar functionalities hidden behind the leaf of "originality and diversity".

In the case of the notification center, for you it works as expected, for others (and there is plenty comments on the net) it's just the nth subpar element that goes to pile up with all the other subpar elements that compose the WP ecosystem (from the terrible browser, to the lack of keyboard inputs, to the horrible maps lacking tons of information, the total lack of integration between different elements that make Android/Apple enjoyable etc.). 5 keys (to be selected into a submenu rather than drag/dropped from an integrated menu inside the same action center as others do), not scrollable, and not integrated with tons of apps, whereas Android is, excellently i'd say. Should i take a screenshot of an old Galaxy Note II and one of the 1520 (one of the few supporting 5 buttons since the others support 4 if i am not wrong) to show you where the limitations are? With comments of course?
From the way you appear to be irritated, i get the strong feeling it's you trying to impose a view of your world to me. But i could be wrong of course. I am happy the OS and the action center fulfill your expectations. Just don't expect it to be the same for the other billions of users out there. Market share speaks tons on how users perceive the WP OS, more than your rage about others' opinions. Those numbers don't lie.

Have a nice day :)

JobSteves

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm amazed at how much WP users like the notification center, considering it's a blatant copy of Android. Microsoft didn't even try to disguise it!
The notification shade in android L though looks nothing like it did before though.

Anudeep Reddy

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
The notification shade in android L though looks nothing like it did before though.

Blatant copy?? Try adding Camera to the notifications bar in Lagdroid, try changing the order of buttons to suit your use or try opening it half way down. And your saying its a blatant copy. What's a blatant copy is Google's new modern design. They've come to modern design after calling it 'Airport Lavatory Signage'. Speaks volumes about Google's innovativeness.
P.S. If you are Android users please stay put of our discussions , since you know nothing about Windows Phone.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
P.S. If you are Android users please stay put of our discussions , since you know nothing about Windows Phone.

I think anyone can have an opinion whether you like it or not. Functionality aside, it was still Android who had this feature first. Regardless how you feel about it.
Keeping in mind that the people crying loudest for this were ex Android users.
As for the constant Lagdroid, my WP has lag and hangs all the time. I have several other issues with it. My Android tablet on the other hand works flawlessly and no lag.

To me, whatever works for you. You like WP. Great, glad you do. Others like other OS. So what?

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Blatant copy?? Try adding Camera to the notifications bar in Lagdroid, try changing the order of buttons to suit your use or try opening it half way down. And your saying its a blatant copy. What's a blatant copy is Google's new modern design. They've come to modern design after calling it 'Airport Lavatory Signage'. Speaks volumes about Google's innovativeness.

LOL!
Look like you are pretty much hurt.

But you should accept the reality now.
WP copied WP users all time beloved manufacturer Samsung Galaxy notification.

Anudeep Reddy

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I think anyone can have an opinion whether you like it or not. Functionality aside, it was still Android who had this feature first. Regardless how you feel about it.

As for the constant Lagdroid, my WP has lag and hangs all the time. I have several other issues with it. My Android tablet on the other hand works flawlessly and no lag.

To me, whatever works for you. You like WP. Great, glad you do. Others like other OS. So what?

There's no bigger advocate for people having their opinions and their own OS tastes than me. I just made my point clear to people really.....
P.S. WP doesn't have nearly as much lag as Android. As somebody who's used both the Galaxy S3 & S4, I'm qualified to comment.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The Action Centre is something that is in WP to collect toasts, in case they are missed. used in conjunction with the superb Live Tiles, it IS useful. Obviously not up to the highly evolved Android and iOS versions, but Windows Phone's version is certainly not lacking. On the other 2 OS their versions are basically the centre for most, if not all, notifications.
On WP the Live Tiles ARE the Notification Centre and the Action Centre is an extension of the Live Tiles.

Best of both worlds for me, but Live Tiles are still the main focus for my use.......

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
To use your analogy, Microsoft is not trying build a plane. They are trying to build a better car. They need power steering, four wheels, and a sun roof. WP's notification center is four wheels with the brakes dragging, or a sun roof that doesn't open.

You didn't understand the analogy.

Androids notification centre, or more precisely, the ideas on which it is based, are not a good fit for WP. Why? Because WP does not function in the same way as Android, or at least it wasn't originally intended to (maybe it is now, I don't know).

The problems WP has, are/were related to potentially missing toasts, or missing notifications for apps that are not pinned to the start screen. Elegantly and simply solving those two issues, without requiring me to configure anything, is what I equated to flying. Android has a completely different set of problems to deal with in regard to notifications, and however Google solves them, they need to focus on more than just those two things. I equate that to driving.

IMHO MS just parked a variation of Android's car in the hanger.

What's wrong with taking tips from the leader?

If I want a plane, then I don't care about the car the leader is building. That is what is wrong, at least for me.

I'm just pointing out that not everyone here is a hypocrite, and that not everyone here thinks that integrating even more Android like features would make it any better. What would make it better, is addressing those two issues WP actually has with notifications, without forcing me to constantly fiddle around with notification configurations. That is exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to get away from by not using Android, but apparently many are happy enough with this.

I consider this a mediocre solution, but that many like it is the silver lining for me, and that is worth something too.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]We welcome people who use different devices and have differences of opinion, provided the discussion is civil and polite. Discuss the topic, not each other. Telling people to leave is not acceptable.

If this warning to everyone is not heeded, then infractions will be issued.[/WARN]

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
What? Hell yes!

It changed how I use my start screen. Previously I had calendar, tasks, westher and most of the messaging apps as big tiles for the info.

Now messaging etc things are fine with the smallest. Weather calendar tasks etc tiles that have info all the time, are the only ones I keep as big ones now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)