Does anyone actually use the notifications center?

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
One of the biggest new features of WP8.1 that I see everyone touting is the notification center; however, I have to confess that the only way I have ever used it is the quick-access buttons at the top. I don't use any social media, which may help with this, but even when I used an iPhone I never found myself using the notification center. In fact when I moved to WP8, the live tiles were more than enough to fulfill those needs of mine. Even for the access buttons, I thought (pre dev release) it would be cool to pin a setting to the Start Menu in the form of a tile, and activate it simply by pressing; without having to go into the actual setting menu like the 3rd party apps had you do. And even if I used social media, I figure the people hub integration would fulfill that for me anyway. So how extensively do y'all actually use it, and why is it more useful than the live tiles? Is there any advantage to it I might ought to try?

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I prefer to keep my home screen uncluttered and in a single page. I've grouped a couple of apps in a folder as well. With this the notification center becomes important for me so I can just swipe down and see if I've missed anything

Alexis-1991

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I use it to turn on Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and location daily. It's pretty useful to have rotation lock up there when I'm browsing the web and I want to change the view without going to the settings.

lizziej

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I use it all the time. WiFi n Bluetooth, rotation lock n quiet hours along the top. Live tiles are great of you only have one email/message waiting but for multiple messages the notification center is super quick and easy.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone actually use the notifications center?

Yes...
Calendar
App catalog updates

I really didn't care much when reading about this coming in "ate one"...:smile:
Now it's an hourly tap on the shoulder.
Love the banners.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
All the time. Truthfully I couldn't go back to not having it. For someone who receives a lot of messages/notifications... The quick slide down and glance is the best thing that happened to the OS

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Use it every day! I'll hear a text or call when my phone is in my pocket.. Can't always get to it. Just pull out my phone real quick, power button and swipe down to see all I missed in one place! I for one needed this badly...

osoalex

May 24, 2013
Visit site
All the time. Truthfully I couldn't go back to not having it. For someone who receives a lot of messages/notifications... The quick slide down and glance is the best thing that happened to the OS

Totally agree. I think it's a great addition to the WP philosophy of glanceable information.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
One of the biggest new features of WP8.1 that I see everyone touting is the notification center; however, I have to confess that the only way I have ever used it is the quick-access buttons at the top.

That's how I use it as well. Quick actions really makes things much easier. I never had a problem with using the glance screen, lock screen, and live tiles so the notification part of the action center just seems redundant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos