How Many of You Use Bluetooth Sharing on Windows Phone 8.1?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
One of the lesser known features of Windows Phone is it's ability to send files via Bluetooth. Though this feature was also present in Windows Phone 8, I am posting this here because in Windows Phone 8.1 you can truly share anything via the Files app.

qumaturu.png

Bluetooth sharing is a really great feature as it allows you to send files of any kind, be it music, video or even a Word document!

uma8apaz.png

Lastly the best part about it is that you can even share files to PC or Android.

u2y5y6ab.png

How many of you use this feature and how many of you just found out about this?

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I use it, but it's incomplete.
for example, if I receive a zip file, I can't save it. or if I receive a pdf file, it will go to PDF Reader's internal storage, while it should be saved in Downloads folder or somewhere like that.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I use it, but it's incomplete.
for example, if I receive a zip file, I can't save it. or if I receive a pdf file, it will go to PDF Reader's internal storage, while it should be saved in Downloads folder or somewhere like that.

What version of Windows Phone are you on?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I think you can combine this with NFC for even faster sharing.
Can anyone confirm that it works with iOS?

Last I checked iOS did not support universal Bluetooth transfer of any kind.

This is why I say, despite iOS asserting dominance over Windows Phone there are a lot of things Windows Phone just simply does a lot better. 😉

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
How Many of You Use Bluetooth Sharing on Windows Phone 8.1?

I could never get this to work from the phone to the Surface RT :angry:

The Surface talks to my Venue...the Venue talks to the Surface.
My BT headphones or keyboards talk to the RT and the Venue.
The headphones do work with the phone.

Neither of my phones will pair and stay connected to either tablet or each other (521+925.)
I gave up...

Maybe one of the OS updates fixed it...I'll have to mess with it later.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^for sharing to work on full Windows 8.1, before you initiate a file transfer on your WP, you have to go to the desktop, then right click the Bluetooth icon in the notification area of the taskbar, select "receive file" then you can start sharing on your phone. this of course assumes that you've already paired your phone and tablet with Bluetooth first.
I'm not sure about RT.

kvrbrijith

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Bluetooth sharing in windows phone is better than that of iPhone. But it is not complete. There is no dedicated folder for Bluetooth file sharing. The pictures and videos are saved in "saved picture" gallery, pdf files are saved in the local storage of installed pdf reader app and like that. The problem is, if the app is installed in phone memory, it consumes lot of phone memory-which is not much comfortable for a low memory device(520/620). Next is, the sent file is not appearing in action centre. So, after receiving file, you should have to click the banner notification before it disappears-otherwise the file gets lost. Another one is, if a non recognised file(say-.pdb file) are sent, it can't be saved in the phone.
The app-"easy transfer" is very much helpful for transferring big memory files as it uses Wi-Fi direct method for file sharing-although it is not much users friendly..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb