Using Windows defender as a primary antivirus

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I think Avast make my w8.1 slow, so I need your help with this:
Can I use Windows defender only? And is there any recommended antivirus?
Thanks

Connor Price

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I use Avast with W8.1 and I've not noticed any slow downs. Avira is low on resources so it shouldn't cause any slow downs. However, I know at some stage they would bombard you with adverts to buy their full version. I have no idea if they still do. Honestly, I would say you'll be just fine with Windows Defender.

yarvelling

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Defender is OK, but even Microsoft have stated that it's a very basic AV system.....
In the past, I've used defender and also had the Malwarebytes anti-malware software as a back-up; you'd be surprised by what it'll catch that Defender misses!
With those two together, you have a reasonable level of protection :)

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
i have a PC and laptop that just uses MS SECURITY ESSENTIALS [DEFENDER] and had been safe so far after 2 years.. no issues anywhere and no lags :)

lSsantos

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Actually Windows Defender is the W8/8.1 version of Ms Security Essentials (just a different name), it's different from the early versions of Windows Defender. I'm using it as primary antivirus, I was using Norton but it didn't work properly on W8.1.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Same here. When AVG became bloated I switched to Security Essentials. This was years ago and have not had any problems nor any nasties sneak onto my system.

As others said, Windows Defender in 8/8.1 is Security Essentials just a different name.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Defender is OK, but even Microsoft have stated that it's a very basic AV system.....
In the past, I've used defender and also had the Malwarebytes anti-malware software as a back-up; you'd be surprised by what it'll catch that Defender misses!

Yeah this what I do at the moment and haven't run into any issues.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
This is what I use and I also run full scans through the web based scanners or free trial software.

Defender catches everything I've encountered as far as I know. The rest are there for backup.

timppa_k

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
In the address http://www.av-comparatives.org/ is information about several antivirus programmes. The laboratorio is independent. You get also information how heavy the programmes are. Microsoft is not on the list because is not pure antivirus Company.

From other sourse I have heard the protection procent of Microsoft antivirus is about 60%, not very secur!

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
what could possibly be better to protect Windows than a Windows product. If you had a Ford truck would you put a chevy carburetor on it?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Defender and the built in firewall on 8.1. They both work really well. Has picked up all threats. No viruses or nasties have yet got through, and they are both light on system resources. Impressive stuff from MS!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077