Is Microsoft kidding me!? Do they test their own software before they seed it to the world?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
As Daniel Rubino, Tom Warren and Joe Belfiore have said 1000000times. The Dev Preview is not a flipping BETA. Jesus Christ man, it is ahead of the 630's original release for crying out loud

To add to that the Lumia 930 is running the same o/s build as the dev preview,

As I noted yesterday in our unboxing and walkthrough video, the Lumia 930 ships with build 12397 of the Windows Phone 8.1-operating system . For those keeping track, build 12397 is the same version as the current Preview for Developers, which, of course, means that what you have is not a beta release. The only difference is the Lumia Cyan firmware, which is tailored specifically for each model of Windows Phone. Firmware is super important as anyone who has updated a PC knows as it can allow certain drivers to work, optimize performance and enable certain functions.

quoted from this article:
Lumia Cyan and what it brings to Windows Phone 8.1 and the Lumia 930 | Windows Phone Central

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Xbox Music is a separate app now and it'll be updated very frequently and it's much better at the moment unlike it came with dev preview. I would love to see more 3rd party apps providing better music experience. OneMusic is doing a great job.

For Games Hub, I heard MS is planning to bring it back, is it correct ?

Browsing experience was always poor and it's not better.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't seem like that, otherwise they have not created Action Center, Cortana, Universal Apps, Awesome Storage Sense which let you install apps on SD card, Background Images, Awesome Lock Screen customization, Files, etc.... in WP 8.1, would love to see further improvements in Xbox Music and Store apps. Don't underestimate Windows Phone.

sisqo88

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Xbox Music is a separate app now and it'll be updated very frequently and it's much better at the moment unlike it came with dev preview. I would love to see more 3rd party apps providing better music experience. OneMusic is doing a great job.

For Games Hub, I heard MS is planning to bring it back, is it correct ?

Browsing experience was always poor and it's not better.

It would be great if they pack it back to the os or bring the old one back

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
it seems that MS don't want to compete IOS and Android
For the record, IDC rankings says otherwise. Windows Phone is 4 spots above WM, Symbian, Linux and Blackberry in just over 2 years to 3rd position behind IOS and android OS and growing for cell phones. It at least looks as if its competing to me. Now weather the new CEO Nadella has the spine and ring general-ship not just to compete but to win is still up in the air. I don't expect to see changes from him immediately but we'll all know for sure real soon.

I do know Balmer's management style was as tough as they come and we have what we have today because of Balmer's leadership. He was deeply invested in the success of Windows Phone and I hope the board that chose Nadella didn't select a garden variety, run-of-the-mill, you've seen one, you've seen them all policy wonk without a vision for all things Microsoft including Windows Phone.
Because if I'm wrong and your right, we've all been sold out by Nadella and we should about petitioning the shareholders to replace him with a quickness. Windows phone is as real as it gets for a lot of us. We didn't come on board only to be cast into the lake like chum by some dude from Hyderabad, who got lucky in an interview. Its not about him, it is about Windows Phone.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
It would be great if they pack it back to the os or bring the old one back

If they pack it back to the OS, Xbox Music won't get twice a week update. Old one was a core app, I believe they created this separate app for starters and then they'll update it eventually. And they're updating it. I would have an app with constant updates, core apps will be updated only during system updates which we don't get frequently.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

altafmahmood

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
There has been plenty of changes in the most recent update and as it is always there in software that some bugs do pass the testers. When you signed up for the developer's preview you were actually taking part in the beta phase of software release, bugs are but natural. So if you encounter any bugs you should report it in their user forum. Surely they are hearing us. They will hopefully fix it in their next update.
As for the system apps. Yes they are crap( not as much as they were before). Microsoft is always late but when they arrive they do make staggering products.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
WTF is happening with the games hub, the first time I receive a notification but I can't open it because it crushed down each time I open that notification.
Stupid MS with stupid app, sorry MS but that is the truth new update with new crab.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Op is it the Dev Preview that you have? Dalydose said/ thinks so your original post doesn't mention it. You might want to wait a bit longer for the fixes. MS like many other providers have a tendency to not keep the customers in the loop and make it look like they are ignoring you while in the background some poor IT expert is working his **** off burning the midnight oil to give you a fix.

Somewhere in the fine print the T &C would have mentioned it that "not all users will get a response but .... be rest assured we are not ignoring you :p"

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, well WP can be frustrating from time to time.
I agree some things could be better, but I'm sure that MS will get there in the end!!!!

Hope you get the problems sorted...
Time for a HUG Seeing that water is under the bridge that the Mod was trying to build ;)

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
For the record, IDC rankings says otherwise. Windows Phone is 4 spots above WM, Symbian, Linux and Blackberry in just over 2 years to 3rd position behind IOS and android OS and growing for cell phones. It at least looks as if its competing to me. Now weather the new CEO Nadella has the spine and ring general-ship not just to compete but to win is still up in the air. I don't expect to see changes from him immediately but we'll all know for sure real soon.

I do know Balmer's management style was as tough as they come and we have what we have today because of Balmer's leadership. He was deeply invested in the success of Windows Phone and I hope the board that chose Nadella didn't select a garden variety, run-of-the-mill, you've seen one, you've seen them all policy wonk without a vision for all things Microsoft including Windows Phone.
Because if I'm wrong and your right, we've all been sold out by Nadella and we should about petitioning the shareholders to replace him with a quickness. Windows phone is as real as it gets for a lot of us. We didn't come on board only to be cast into the lake like chum by some dude from Hyderabad, who got lucky in an interview. Its not about him, it is about Windows Phone.

This might be of interest to you Sir Jazmac
http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-07-11/news/51354918_1_microsoft-ceo-satya-nadella-software-company-memo

Most noticeably he described Microsoft as a "productivity and platform company" focused on mobile and cloud computing, a subtle advance on Ballmer's reinvention of Microsoft as a "devices and services" company, which could signal less emphasis on manufacturing devices.

:amaze: Were you in the race to be CEO against this "Dude from Hyderabad" Why do you call him lucky. If he is lucky are the members of the Microsoft Board Numbnuts to have appointed him or the ex CEO who in 13 years couldn't care less to train someone up in the name of progression of the company? :amaze: http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/04/technology/enterprise/satya-nadella-microsoft/

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This might be of interest to you Sir Jazmac
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella signals changes, defers talk on job cuts - Economic Times

Most noticeably he described Microsoft as a "productivity and platform company" focused on mobile and cloud computing, a subtle advance on Ballmer's reinvention of Microsoft as a "devices and services" company, which could signal less emphasis on manufacturing devices.

:amaze: Were you in the race to be CEO against this "Dude from Hyderabad" Why do you call him lucky. If he is lucky are the members of the Microsoft Board Numbnuts to have appointed him or the ex CEO who in 13 years couldn't care less to train someone up in the name of progression of the company? :amaze: Microsoft names Nadella CEO, Gates out as chairman - Feb. 4, 2014

We shall see what this dude from Hyderabad does with this company. I already said, I'll give him time to see what happens.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
We shall see what this dude from Hyderabad does with this company. I already said, I'll give him time to see what happens.

Likewise, I am also waiting to see what happens and the fact he said "nothing was off the table" has put a niggling twitch in the back of my mind which is refusing to go away. That is he serious in considering in running android apps on windows phone or is serious in making an android lumia?.. Plus is he thinking of putting Cortana on other platforms?

Both are suicidal in terms of marketing and it sends a very conflicting message.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
That is he serious in considering in running android apps on windows phone or is serious in making an android lumia?.. Plus is he thinking of putting Cortana on other platforms?

Both are suicidal in terms of marketing and it sends a very conflicting message.

My 2 Bobs worth to your concern. Imagine if you have WP8.X on many devices instead of having selected few brands wouldn't that increase MS customer base? Granted it may not have that exclusive feel to a Nokia but if you have an inclusive OS many people will choose it as they don't have to worry about things like compatibility issues between devices. From business POV it means more for the shareholders, The more you have of the market share the less you have to share with other players like Apple. What is the twitch in the back of your mind? Is it the company's prosperity or it being small and exclusive?

I am sure many phone users agree that they know "that feeling when Apple first started getting all the attention" and Nokia users on Symbian could feel the exclusion as they didnt have apps written for Symbian even if it had a large share in the market. Why did this happen? Company not encouraging developers to use their platform? Company not using its resources in the right area of developing the platform which discourages developers? or a combination of both causes and any other if I haven't thought of. Regardless they were all reasons why the market would also switch to other platform like IOS. Isnt it like MS must become a big player if not the only player from CEO POV. Isnt that what he is appointed for?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077