Do you people want android apps on windows phone?

anon(8860722)

May 16, 2014
Visit site
LMAO! Even non-smartphones come with the "basic" stuff, so I guess dumb phones = apps too?

Even Symbian was a smartphone and so was blackberry before ios and android, and there were no apps and games (as they are today i.e. in plenty )that days neither were any app stores so apps != games. apps is definitely not equal to smartphones, apps don't define a smartphone, there are many other things... most important is the internet connectivity, mail, etc.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Hell no I don't want android apps on WP. Per.ission are different. It would be a bad experience and take away for the profits of developer that are actually investing in WP. Later to the post, but that's how I feel. Microsoft needs to kill this idea and just continue the push and grow. The apps will come with time.

anon(8860722)

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I think android apps on windows phone is a terrible thing, I feel so bad about it, I hope this don't happen. Why would Microsoft want to put competing platforms os/apps/kernel into their own os. They have an android fork, that is enough.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Why not? I used to jump through hoops to convert Android Apps so that they would run on my Blackberries, which Blackberry accommodated, and then finally made it easy to sideload Android onto Blackberry devices. So I have about 90% BB10 native and "Built for Blackberry" apps and 10% sideloaded Android Apps running on my Z30. The BB10 apps are generally better on the device, but not materially so. There just happen to be 2 Android Apps that I need that there are no BB10 counterparts for, owing to corporate gamesmanship between the manufacturers or developers, and the sideload option makes it an absolute non-issue for me individually. Every once in awhile there's some interesting release on Android that I will dabble in, but all of what I need is already there and working. At no point over the years I have been running sideloaded apps was I tempted to migrate over to an Android device. In fact, the slight UI differences and feel tended instead to confirm my preference for BB10. I expect the same would be true for WP users.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
At no point over the years I have been running sideloaded apps was I tempted to migrate over to an Android device. In fact, the slight UI differences and feel tended instead to confirm my preference for BB10. I expect the same would be true for WP users.

I said this in another thread, but people like you are the minority. Hell, every one of us using WP is the minority. Most people don't care about windows phone and all this will do is allow current users to use Android apps. There aren't millions of people who are waiting to use WP because of the lack of apps. Are there some? Absolutely, but most people are not going to switch to WP because of this. However, this will kill native app development. Period. While you weren't tempted to switch platforms, there will be tons of people who will switch because it will be a better cohesive experience. MS needs to focus on making their OS the tits. The switch from WP 7 to WP 8 killed them. I'm beginning to think they have just messed up too many times

ULOP3Z

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Even Symbian was a smartphone and so was blackberry before ios and android, and there were no apps and games (as they are today i.e. in plenty )that days neither were any app stores so apps != games. apps is definitely not equal to smartphones, apps don't define a smartphone, there are many other things... most important is the internet connectivity, mail, etc.
I know that's what we tried to tell him

ULOP3Z

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
It's all inter-connected. :)
Did you see the article about Bungie (the developers of Destiny) not having any plans to release their companion app on Windows Phone? Do you guys see the problem now? This is why the WinStore will not grow any faster, devs just don't want to support WP

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Did you see the article about Bungie (the developers of Destiny) not having any plans to release their companion app on Windows Phone? Do you guys see the problem now? This is why the WinStore will not grow any faster, devs just don't want to support WP

You should read this article from Ars Technica. The android we would get on WP would definitely not be the Google hybrid, so even if you can install Android apps, it may not be the same as it would be on a Google-ized Android device.

Android apps on Windows Phone would be an ugly capitulation | Ars Technica

As for devs not wanting to support WP... I can appreciate the fact they don't think the ROI is there to make it worth the effort.
They might want to take a lesson from Apple. Apple wasn't the first smartphone, but they got more and better publicity before there was a huge market for smartphones. WP Devs need to seize the opportunity to be here earlier. PCMag says that overall, WP users are more involved in online communities about their phones. So a good app or game can get publicity here on WPC and on WMPU, allowing them to establish a beach head before the market - which IS growing - becomes saturated.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ As an ex-developer I think that is excellent advice, but only if MS doesn't open the back door and let all the Android apps in to the party. That would likely kill opportunities for WP apps to create that beach head.

I fear MS is now once again failing in the communications department. I think strategic shifts like this should be publicised well in advance, or quickly swatted down as baseless rumours, just out of respect to the developers that are already supporting the WP platform by investing time and resources into WP app development. They deserve to know if their current projects will suddenly be facing Android based competition.

rluka

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

Svoboda

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Throw another "thanks, but no thanks" on the pile.I want NATIVE Windows Phone apps. I don't like, want or care for half-baked wrapped apps (see Key Bank's app for example) so I certainly don't want apps designed for another OS/UI experience.

Microsoft was set to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on Xbox Entertainment Studios so if SN's vision really is mobile, how about taking some of that earmarked money and start subsidizing major apps that would draw customers to Windows Phone? You know where I start... follow the money. Take a look at the Top 50 or 100 banks by deposits in the US and make sure a large majority of them have native Windows Phone apps. Everything starts and ends in my wallet so this would be a big plus to have the banks I deal with easily accessible on my phone. I'm sure MS has a group of coders that could have a banking app framework done in less than a couple weeks and a majority of the banks use the same backend from what I understand.

Hammer the basics.

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
No!!!! I don't even use most of official apps on my 925 since there is much better 3rd party apps... 6tag, Mehdoh, myTube... All of them are way better then "originals"! :)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre