Lumia Cyan update. But why?

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I've got just one question to everybody screaming for the Cyan update:

What is wrong with you and your phone?

I've got an Nokia 1320 with DP 8.1 for one week and its perfect. It's 65% cheaper than the iPhone so I do expect less.

So why is everybody screaming about that update? Really. It works flawlessly here and I don't even get what that update of firmware should make better.

josh715m

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I've got just one question to everybody screaming for the Cyan update:

What is wrong with you and your phone?

I've got an Nokia 1320 with DP 8.1 for one week and its perfect. It's 65% cheaper than the iPhone so I do expect less.

So why is everybody screaming about that update? Really. It works flawlessly here and I don't even get what that update of firmware should make better.

Better battery life. I don't really believe that would happen, but one can hope.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
For some of us the 8.1DP doesn't work perfectly and driver updates in the Cyan Firmware should fix the issues. Cyan also brings the drivers for BT4.0 which many of us want so that developers can target our phones for things like FitBit syncing, new heart rate monitors, and other fitness related devices. Cyan also brings camera tweaks to most Lumias and double tap to wake to the Icon. Sure it seems like many are complaining but we are running a beta and all it takes is Cyan to make it not beta and hopefully go back to working flawlessly.

tacroy

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
For me specifically it is a few issues:
1. My phone will randomly hang when I press the power button and take 5-10 seconds to turn on.
2. My Wifi drops CONSTANTLY and without warning
3. My compass will not stay calibrated, making map based programs hard to use.
4. Battery life is poor.

I've been told that all these are firmware issues that Cyan should help address.
There are also a few new features
1. Sensor core - This will let me use my phone as a "Fitbit" instead of having to wear my actual fitbit that broke.
2. Double tap to wake will be hugely helpful with how my phone works in my car. (The power button is not easily accessible.

So, there are my reasons.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
This is such a stupid thread. Updates are released for a reason, especially a firmware update... because the firmware needs updating. If it didn't, they wouldn't. It isn't rocket science. Just because your phone is working flawlessly doesn't mean others are (I have a few problems from 8.1 DP). There probably are problems but you just don't notice it.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
This is such a stupid thread. Updates are released for a reason, especially a firmware update... because the firmware needs updating. If it didn't, they wouldn't. It isn't rocket science. Just because your phone is working flawlessly doesn't mean others are (I have a few problems from 8.1 DP). There probably are problems but you just don't notice it.

+10000 lol

ushodax

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
the only thing that keep me wanting the lumia cyan update, was the new camera algorithms... but now that i know that my lumia 920 would not receive them... i'm pretty much disappointed.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for your comment.

I'm sorry that my thread sounds stupid. I've just gone from Apple to Windows Phone and I never ever had somebody asking at Apple forums what the firmware did. Because it just worked out of the box. Also if my phone didn't work good on the DP of 8.1 I'd move back to 8.0 which sounds logic to me. I won't go screaming at Microsoft because I believe that doesn't make sense. That's why I've became curious what this Cyan update brings. Appears that's a stupid question ..... fine.

I think I just got my welcome to Windows Phone users.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing you find in many WP posts. People always complain. Though the Cyan update is looked at as a plethora of all things WP, I don't think it'll solve some issues many now have on there phones. Usually, a complete reinstall will help. As for the DP, because it's a preview, which early adopters have taken, they just want to stay ahead in the game, Cyan.

Last edited:

seq1

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your comment.

I'm sorry that my thread sounds stupid. I've just gone from Apple to Windows Phone and I never ever had somebody asking at Apple forums what the firmware did. Because it just worked out of the box. Also if my phone didn't work good on the DP of 8.1 I'd move back to 8.0 which sounds logic to me. I won't go screaming at Microsoft because I believe that doesn't make sense. That's why I've became curious what this Cyan update brings. Appears that's a stupid question ..... fine.

I think I just got my welcome to Windows Phone users.

I agree with you. If the phone is not working properly with the WP 8.1 dev preview, roll back to WP8 instead of complaining.

Lu520

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I Partially agree with the thread author.

Seeking for new features and hoping that existing issues will fix if the updates come and waiting for new updates is not at a SIN.

Some people will adjust with the existing things some people wont.

Welcome to WP stephen :)

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Cyan...

...because this is a forum and by nature it is populated with early adapters.
...because some features of 8.1 only work with Cyan firmware.
...because of improved low-light photography.
...because after we get it we can post that our phone seems faster.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Cyan...

And people will finally stop with the incessant "when will it be released in <insert country>".

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Cyan...

ONLY because your phone will be faster - a complete re-install will do that.

People are waiting (begging ?) for Lumia Cyan because (as mentioned) the firmware update will make the device run smoother. Some issues will be resolved, others exposed as hardware, app conflicts, etc. Certain features will come with the Cyan update ... It's where the phone should be.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Cyan...

These things. Also, us Nokia Lumia Icon users currently do not have Double Tap to Wake. Hoping Cyan activates it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz