Lumia Cyan update. But why?

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Don't forget that the Dev Preview is still on less than 10% of Windows phones...There are probably many in this forum that weren't comfortable downloading the Dev Preview for whatever reason.

Cyan brings them WP8.1 finally...I'm sure some of them are a little happy about it.

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
nothing has to be wrong for them to update your phone with new firmware, firmware also brings/enables new features.
Such as surround sound recording, live image etc. etc. etc. I hope you get the point...

firmware != bug fixes "only"

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
on the side note, any news on better Skype, better Facebook app that they promised?...the one Belfiore said they were using internally? I seriously hope it's the one we have right now....

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Again, no personal attack meant. Just explaining why people react this way. :wink: I'm glad your device works great - I have a Lumia 1320 myself and I too find no real problems. My buddy has a NL928 and its become real sluggish, burns through its battery in six hours. So I hope that the cyan updates solves at least a few of these issues people have been complaining about.

It's fine to use words, I've understood the mood of your message thanks to emotions. It's good to read your comment because you've cleared some things up. I'm totally new to the smartphone-era except the iPhone. Yes there were firmware updates on my iOS device or Mac and I've understood where they stood for. But I just didn't understand this: "OS upgrade means firmware update" , I'm glad you've explained.

You see why Cyan is so critical for the masses?

Yes. Thanks. :)
Same counts for what I said above.

Oh poor little sensitive you. When you ask "What is wrong with you and your phone?" you get the same back. Don't be disingenuous and pretend you just asked something, you came out with hostility and will be met with the same.

Perhaps I should re-write this. Because you read it differently than I wanted to say. I wanted to question why there so many people asking for the Cyan update. And I mean that there topics popping up (yes, like this one I'll admit) questioning the same. So therefor I wanted to say "What's wrong with you and your phone" and I should have said "What's wrong with your phone, there's nothing wrong now or is it you" - and I mean by that last word that any user in the world uses his or her phone differently. I've got a phone which works but that doesn't mean I use it correctly.

There's no reason to offend people. If I did, that wasn't my intention. I hope that's clear.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Think of this like your brand new PC you picked up on release day. Windows is one thing but, the hardware on the motherboard, battery, video card all need updating. The system board gets updated via a OEM firmware, this should address chipset, battery life and performance based issues.

On the phone, you have almost the same thing, it IS a mini computer, it has a full chipset, CPU, video card, etc. The DP update is just that, SOFTWARE like Windows on the PC but, you can not manually update drivers, like you can on a PC (Windows update anyone ?).

With the Cyan update/Firmware this should optimize the battery, CPU, display for the device you have, not just a package of software over the OS. Never mind, in my case with the ICON, it will update drivers for Bluetooth 4.0 and other tracking features.

So, as DP works fine for the most part for me, I would love to see them "tweak" the battery a little (though I can get through a day for the most part but, there are some cases where I need to charge the phone by 7pm some days) and CPU, as when doing stuff on the phone for 5-10 min, the phone gets really hot, this type of stuff can ONLY be addressed by a Firmware update.

So, yes, you want the firmware, it's not about people complaining (then again, people here will complain about everything) but, it's about optimizing the device for Windows Phone 8.1 and for that, I cant freaking wait....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa