L1020 freezing on Windows Phone 8.1!

BeornSV

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
After updating my lumia 1020 phone on windows 8.1 preview for developers, my phone nearly every day freeze in working independently of the application which i use. The only solution then is hard reset. Why is this happening, whether anybody had similar experiences ?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
There's a whole thread full of 'bugs' for WP8.1 DP.

Hard reset usually fixes most issues. Some require a re-installing of the firmware and then an update to WP8.1 DP. That's what I did to try to fix my issues with L920. Didn't fully work unfortunately for me.

Hopefully once we get the Cyan update these things will be fixed.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Just perform a soft reset by holding volume down + lock button at the same time until your phone vibrates and reboot itself (ignore the black screen to power off the device ). This shouldn't erase any of your personal data. This is happening because your phone lacks a firmware update from nokia (cyan update ) which should solve such issues. If you are not satisfied with windows phone 8.1 you can easily downgrade it windows phone 8.0 via nokia recovery tool.(backup all your important data before doing this as this would revert your phone to windows phone 8.0 factory settings ).

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Your memory isn't critically low os ot? (the reason I ask is my wife's 1020 starts screwing up bad because she lets the photos and videos she takes take up almost the complete space on memory. Maybe something went wrong with the install. Male sure under backup settings that apps and such set to backup. Make sure WiFi is on so it does. Then later do a hard reset and it should reinstall and come back almost as it was (tiles set up as they are ECT. Good luck.

BeornSV

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Friends Thanks for your answers ! I make mistake in my post, when phone freeze i perform soft reset (holding volume down + lock button + home at the same ).
I will try some of your advice.

Mahesh B Hiremath

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Some times it happens because of not correctly updating live tile apps, for example "clock hub", after uninstalling this my 1520 is now not Freezing, check for similar apps if you have installed which apps "live tile" is not updating properly....

KSilcox

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
If you have a cortana live tile on your home screen it can cause some issues that require a soft reboot. After removing it from my homescreen all of my 'loading data...' and resetting problems went away. Worth a try.

arzoo

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
My 925 was rock solid until 8.1 DP. At first it started freezing occasionally, mostly at night while charging. The freeze ups continued to increase until I was soft resetting the phone every morning and a few times a day. That's when I decided it was time for a hard-reset. At first that seemed to solve the problem - it went for about three days without a freeze up. But then it happened, and then again, and eventually it was back to freezing every night.

My next plan was to start uninstalling apps, one each day to see if I could identify the culprit. Since the problem seemed to mostly occur at night while charging, I though I would start with the Battery app. But that got me thinking - what was different about the phone settings at night. For one, the phone was in Quite Mode. Also, the glance screen turned green. Then it hit me, the Glance screen! I always knew the exact time the phone froze because the glance screen showed the time. And occasionally, the numbers would only be half displayed (clipped) - so the problem occurred while the screen was updating. Plus, the glance screen was set to always stay on while charging which explained why it didn't happen as often during the day (I have a charging stand at work also).

So - I changed the Glance setting to not stay on while charging and poof - no more phone freezing!

My guess is the problem has something to do with the video memory. Hopefully the Nokia Cyan firmware update will fix this, but knowing AT&T, it could be months before they release Cyan.

[Update]: The phone still occasionally freezes.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire