07-20-2014 10:31 PM
53 123
tools
    I crack up at how my av plays with her Windows phone...

Attachment 72363

Cortana is fun, but notification center, transparent tiles, dual volume control, and quiet hours are fantastic additions. As for facebook texting? Meh. It's something I shut down from the FB end a long time ago. Drove me nuts to constantly get texts about things were extremely low priority.

I have to wonder if this functionality is gone because FB has separated it from the FB app itself, now that they offer it as a separate app entirely. It may be FB's changes that broke that feature, not an intentional change by Microsoft.
    Yea, mine does that too, there was a promo where you could give your avatar a WP7 device a while ago, not sure if they still do it...

Agree 100% about the Xbox tile....and one thing I figured they would do was to update Xbox for Xbox one achievements and friends (what they are playing, etc) and nothing....If anything, the Games hub/Xbox live is a MAJOR step backwards... Very upset about that but, the other features of 8.1 I like so I just cant go back..
    07-18-2014 12:57 AM
    I love the functionality but hate the reliability.
    Nerdy Woman likes this.
    07-18-2014 01:16 AM
    There isn't much metro left in the os. The loss of the large font running of screen and the simplicity of use has turned me off.
    I HATE large fonts. For me, it's the same thing loud music.
    If you're seeing what*are writing small, why so big?
    If you can listen to music / TV down, why must it be loud?
    07-18-2014 02:14 AM
    No doubt 8.1 brings some nice features to the table that will appease some, but it also brings a ton of bad stuff to the table that make you wonder what Microsoft was thinking. I'm considering not upgrading and just sticking to WP8.0. I don't want to deal with 1. games cluttering up the app list, 2. loss of the ability to filter out non-Xbox games in the store, 3. the all around crappier Games Hub, 4. loss of integrated FB chat. It's a pity that Microsoft always seems to take 1 step forward 2 steps back with WP.
    07-18-2014 07:55 AM
    Another feature that I love about Windows Phone 8.1 was a UI change. In Windows Phone 8 most messsaging apps had huge contact font names.

Luckily apps optimized for Windows Phone 8.1 now use smaller name fonts, like the Stock messaging and Whatsapp app.

However some of them are being stubborn and stick to the huge contact font name, like BBM or Facebook Messenger.
    Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20140718_0002.png   wp_ss_20140718_0003.png   wp_ss_20140718_0004.png  
    07-18-2014 08:00 AM
    I really like the added features in 8.1, but ya im sad some of the GOOD stuff from 8 is gone, in addition to the buggy mess thats been happening over the past 2 weeks. I dont hate it, i like it a lot....but i expected more.
    07-18-2014 09:17 AM
    I HATE large fonts. For me, it's the same thing loud music.
    If you're seeing what*are writing small, why so big?
    If you can listen to music / TV down, why must it be loud?
    Then why not just buy a android or iPhone.
    07-18-2014 12:41 PM
    Then why not just buy a android or iPhone.
    Android = bad camera
    iPhone = I don't like iOS, I like live tiles or widgets.
    07-18-2014 04:39 PM
    Android = bad camera
    iPhone = I don't like iOS, I like live tiles or widgets.

You can't judge all Android phones like that. I agree most Android phones do not match the quality provided by the Pureview range for photography however Android does video recording better(4k, 60FPS and 120FPS).

Yeah iOS is kinda boring. Lives tiles FTW!
    07-18-2014 04:53 PM
    Quality means more than just specs. Just buy sony's lowest end point and shoot with the highest specs and compare the quality to a 2 year old top end model. You will see a vast difference.
    07-19-2014 03:29 AM
    Quality means more than just specs. Just buy sony's lowest end point and shoot with the highest specs and compare the quality to a 2 year old top end model. You will see a vast difference.

I'm not talking about only specs. Technology does advance a lot but your example is flawed.

Photography does not often move at the same pace as other hardware.

For example the high end Lumia 900 sports a weaker processor than the low-end Lumia 520, but 900 has a significantly better camera.

Lumia Pureview sensors are capable of capturing much more light and detail at the expense of speed compared to Android. However it doesn't mean Android phone cameras are bad.

There are people who record their YouTube channels using Note 3 and Galaxy S5's 4K recording.

For photos ---- > Lumia
    For Video ---- > Most Android Flagships.
    07-19-2014 08:03 AM
    I'm gonna be honest, between 8.0 and 8.1, I prefer 8.0
    To me
    I'm really missing the hubs, I like how the live tile showed me the artist I was playing, or to see my avatar playing around the games live tile, or how the photo hub and its metro design when I opened the app, right now all I have are a static headphone and a controller, and just the folders of pictures
    I really liked the fb chat into the message hub, I don't care about those silly stickers and I don't like the fact that now I need an app just for that
    I don't like my games in the app list
    Cortana is fun for a while, but is kind of a gimmick to me
    The action center lacks so much, is just gives you the notification, and soooooooo very little info, and compared to the ios and android version or action center is years behind
    I HATE the fact that if you wanna turn off the wifi from the action center, it just takes you to the settings, why can it just turn the wifi off, why the extra step of taking me to the wifi settings page
    Overall I don't feel the phone as "alive" as before
    07-19-2014 09:42 AM
    I've always considered 8.1 to be a step backwards in terms of general usability of the core OS features.

Coming from a long time Windows Phone 7 user, Windows Phone has always been known to offer a smooth and fast performance with elegant integrations. Everything loads up instantly.

Now with 8.1, we see splash screens all the time (Calendar, Music, Video, Games) Even with the built-in Xbox Music app, scrolling stutters, animation lags, and the iconic live tiles are gone too.

The Games hub and Me tile used to be functional and very useful. In fact, it was one of the core OS features that WP users brag about to our Android and iOS friends. Our games are not cluttered in the app list like Android. We have an elegant Pictures hub with panorama background images, and 8.1 have reduced it to a plain, amateur-ish photo app.

I wouldn't say I hate 8.1. It's more of a disappointment to me.

Cortana is pretty much a gimmick.

Notification center is actually useful if I can turn off Wi-Fi without being directed to the settings screen, and if it has the option to turn off data too.

3 columns of live tiles and background picture is nice.

And having a file manager is awesome too.
    stnm likes this.
    07-19-2014 01:19 PM
    A lot of the complaints you guys have listed above are so well though out, good job.

I also find it a pain that I am redirected to my WiFi settings whenever I try to turn it off, and the lack of a mobile data toggle is also a pain. You also need to unlock the phone to use a lot of those toggles.

Cortana has a lot of potential but it is limited by the OS itself, I can not make simple interactions with Cortana when the phone is locked, it always tells me to unlock it first.

The splash screen problem is also true. The Music, Video and Calendar apps were much faster on Windows Phone 8, now I have to go through splash screens before my content is shown.

Overall I really like the Windows Phone 8.1 update, it added a lot of amazing features however because of the limitations and flaws put in place by Microsoft the OS is much worse than before.
    Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk
    07-19-2014 01:48 PM
    You can't judge all Android phones like that. I agree most Android phones do not match the quality provided by the Pureview range for photography however Android does video recording better(4k, 60FPS and 120FPS).

Yeah iOS is kinda boring. Lives tiles FTW!
    I don't care about FPS and 4k. I like low-light photos. And Lumia have the best low light photos.
    I like Xperia Z2, Moto X and Nexus. But.... Moto X and Nexus have a bad battery and bad camera.
    07-19-2014 01:57 PM
    Action center, New Multitasking menu, Flick down gesture to close an app, Overhauled Marketplace, Cortana, and the Podcast app .. All came packed with the WP8.1 DP upgrade. Loved it!
    07-19-2014 02:25 PM
    I don't care about FPS and 4k. I like low-light photos. And Lumia have the best low light photos.
    I like Xperia Z2, Moto X and Nexus. But.... Moto X and Nexus have a bad battery and bad camera.

Now that you mention it, there is just one phone that could beat all Lumias at lowlight, it would be the Xperia Z2.

Xperia Z2 has a f2.0 aperture coupled with a decent sensor size and can go upto ISO 6400, compared to ISO 4000(which is max of Lumia).

However Sony follows a 6 month phone release cycle, which is something I very much despise.

Moto X and Nexus 5 we're supposed to be high-end devices priced at mid-range prices, so sacrifices had to be made.

Lumia still manages to outperform most Android phone cameras out there, especially if mounted on a tripod.

Anyways we are going off-topic, what are your thoughts on Windows Phone 8.1?
    07-19-2014 02:29 PM
    Now that you mention it, there is just one phone that could beat all Lumias at lowlight, it would be the Xperia Z2.

Xperia Z2 has a f2.0 aperture coupled with a decent sensor size and can go upto ISO 6400, compared to ISO 4000(which is max of Lumia).

However Sony follows a 6 month phone release cycle, which is something I very much despise.

Moto X and Nexus 5 we're supposed to be high-end devices priced at mid-range prices, so sacrifices had to be made.

Lumia still manages to outperform most Android phone cameras out there, especially if mounted on a tripod.

Anyways we are going off-topic, what are your thoughts on Windows Phone 8.1?
    I really liked the WP 8.1, integrations taken, I believe it was for the best.
    Now developers have the freedom to integrate the People Hub, Photos Hub.
    The problem is that the Facebook app is not good ...
    Test the app VK (social network widely used in Russia), the integration works perfectly.
    I imagine to see Instagram or 6tag integrated, or even WhatsApp.

What does not really like, are the new native apps bad ( Calendar takes to open). Well, no need to mention the Xbox and Xbox Music Video (is possible to put a subtitle? None format I tried worked, I believe is only for online videos at Xbox Video service).
    And the fact that the email app is very simple (but fast). The Windows 8 app is much better.
    In fact, why not make these universal apps?
    07-19-2014 06:02 PM
    The more I play with it, the more I don't like it. I miss the phone integration of a multitude of services and apps. It looks messy and busy, not simple and convenient.
    stnm likes this.
    07-20-2014 12:57 AM
    What does not really like, are the new native apps bad ( Calendar takes to open). Well, no need to mention the Xbox and Xbox Music Video (is possible to put a subtitle? None format I tried worked, I believe is only for online videos at Xbox Video service).
    And the fact that the email app is very simple (but fast). The Windows 8 app is much better.
    What do you mean by universal apps? Are you asking for email, music, etc on Windows 8.1 PC?
    07-20-2014 07:14 AM
    I really liked the WP 8.1, integrations taken, I believe it was for the best.
    Now developers have the freedom to integrate the People Hub, Photos Hub.
    The problem is that the Facebook app is not good ...
    Test the app VK (social network widely used in Russia), the integration works perfectly.
    I imagine to see Instagram or 6tag integrated, or even WhatsApp.

Some of the apps you've mentioned are indeed universal apps and Xbox Video for Windows Phone 8.1 does get the job done for me, albeit a bit slowly.

Have you tried the new Facebook BETA for Windows Phone? It has added quite a lot of functionality that was missing before.

Sadly I thought so too that developers had the ability to integrate their apps with the people hub, however not all of them can do this.

07-20-2014 09:10 AM
    Some of the apps you've mentioned are indeed universal apps and Xbox Video for Windows Phone 8.1 does get the job done for me, albeit a bit slowly.

Have you tried the new Facebook BETA for Windows Phone? It has added quite a lot of functionality that was missing before.

Sadly I thought so too that developers had the ability to integrate their apps with the people hub, however not all of them can do this.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/20/uvy5avyh.png
    How is it even possible that Rudy doesn't have special rights???????? I mean, he is RUDYYYYY
    07-20-2014 10:19 AM
    Personally I love 8.1 , it blows ios and droid out of the water! The best is yet to come.
    07-20-2014 10:29 AM
    I love ❤ 8.1, it's made my 620 faster than my bros canvas HD :)
    07-20-2014 10:34 AM
    Is that 8.1 on your 620 developers preview??
    07-20-2014 10:35 AM
53 123