Am I the only one who hates WP8.1 ?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Am I the only one who hates 8.1 ?

This is my biggest problem too. It's the reason I got Windows Phone to begin with cos I loved the integration. It's even quite a deal breaker for me, but since there really is no better alternative and I'm very invested in the MS-ecosystem, I'll just have to bite the dust on this "issue".

Sure, it didnt always work properly and was very limited in functionality, but for most one-on-one chatting it beats opening a seperate app every time.
The facebook integration into the text messaging isn't gone permanently. They seperated it from internal integration and made it up to the app writer to integrate to prevent ms having to fix it everytime facebook changed. And now any social app can tie in. Its up to the app writers to update their apps to do it now.

anon8091350

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
i prefer 8.0 over 8.1 after using developer preview on 920, have reinstalled 8.0 and will
stay with it, my Lumia 800 on 7.5 still works ok now used as a back up,
the last Windows phones for me, as Microsoft will ruin all Nokia's good work that made
Windows phone worth trying.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

The firmware Cyan update is meant to adress most if not all of those issues (wishful thinking). If you don't have cyan yet, consider rolling back to 8.0 GDR3 until the official release for your phone. You'll get to enjoy it a while longer; not like Nokia or MS release anything in a timely manner.

I crack up at how my av plays with her Windows phone...

wp_ss_20140717_0001.png

Cortana is fun, but notification center, transparent tiles, dual volume control, and quiet hours are fantastic additions. As for facebook texting? Meh. It's something I shut down from the FB end a long time ago. Drove me nuts to constantly get texts about things were extremely low priority.

I have to wonder if this functionality is gone because FB has separated it from the FB app itself, now that they offer it as a separate app entirely. It may be FB's changes that broke that feature, not an intentional change by Microsoft.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I crack up at how my av plays with her Windows phone...

View attachment 72363

Cortana is fun, but notification center, transparent tiles, dual volume control, and quiet hours are fantastic additions. As for facebook texting? Meh. It's something I shut down from the FB end a long time ago. Drove me nuts to constantly get texts about things were extremely low priority.

I have to wonder if this functionality is gone because FB has separated it from the FB app itself, now that they offer it as a separate app entirely. It may be FB's changes that broke that feature, not an intentional change by Microsoft.

Yea, mine does that too, there was a promo where you could give your avatar a WP7 device a while ago, not sure if they still do it...

Agree 100% about the Xbox tile....and one thing I figured they would do was to update Xbox for Xbox one achievements and friends (what they are playing, etc) and nothing....If anything, the Games hub/Xbox live is a MAJOR step backwards... Very upset about that but, the other features of 8.1 I like so I just cant go back..

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
No doubt 8.1 brings some nice features to the table that will appease some, but it also brings a ton of bad stuff to the table that make you wonder what Microsoft was thinking. I'm considering not upgrading and just sticking to WP8.0. I don't want to deal with 1. games cluttering up the app list, 2. loss of the ability to filter out non-Xbox games in the store, 3. the all around crappier Games Hub, 4. loss of integrated FB chat. It's a pity that Microsoft always seems to take 1 step forward 2 steps back with WP.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Another feature that I love about Windows Phone 8.1 was a UI change. In Windows Phone 8 most messsaging apps had huge contact font names.

Luckily apps optimized for Windows Phone 8.1 now use smaller name fonts, like the Stock messaging and Whatsapp app.

However some of them are being stubborn and stick to the huge contact font name, like BBM or Facebook Messenger.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140718_0002.png
    wp_ss_20140718_0002.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 82
  • wp_ss_20140718_0003.png
    wp_ss_20140718_0003.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 83
  • wp_ss_20140718_0004.png
    wp_ss_20140718_0004.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 85

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

I really like the added features in 8.1, but ya im sad some of the GOOD stuff from 8 is gone, in addition to the buggy mess thats been happening over the past 2 weeks. I dont hate it, i like it a lot....but i expected more.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Android = bad camera
iPhone = I don't like iOS, I like live tiles or widgets.

You can't judge all Android phones like that. I agree most Android phones do not match the quality provided by the Pureview range for photography however Android does video recording better(4k, 60FPS and 120FPS).

Yeah iOS is kinda boring. Lives tiles FTW!

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Quality means more than just specs. Just buy sony's lowest end point and shoot with the highest specs and compare the quality to a 2 year old top end model. You will see a vast difference.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Quality means more than just specs. Just buy sony's lowest end point and shoot with the highest specs and compare the quality to a 2 year old top end model. You will see a vast difference.

I'm not talking about only specs. Technology does advance a lot but your example is flawed.

Photography does not often move at the same pace as other hardware.

For example the high end Lumia 900 sports a weaker processor than the low-end Lumia 520, but 900 has a significantly better camera.

Lumia Pureview sensors are capable of capturing much more light and detail at the expense of speed compared to Android. However it doesn't mean Android phone cameras are bad.

There are people who record their YouTube channels using Note 3 and Galaxy S5's 4K recording.

For photos ---- > Lumia
For Video ---- > Most Android Flagships.

masaga91

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna be honest, between 8.0 and 8.1, I prefer 8.0
To me
? I'm really missing the hubs, I like how the live tile showed me the artist I was playing, or to see my avatar playing around the games live tile, or how the photo hub and its metro design when I opened the app, right now all I have are a static headphone and a controller, and just the folders of pictures
? I really liked the fb chat into the message hub, I don't care about those silly stickers and I don't like the fact that now I need an app just for that
? I don't like my games in the app list
? Cortana is fun for a while, but is kind of a gimmick to me
? The action center lacks so much, is just gives you the notification, and soooooooo very little info, and compared to the ios and android version or action center is years behind
? I HATE the fact that if you wanna turn off the wifi from the action center, it just takes you to the settings, why can it just turn the wifi off, why the extra step of taking me to the wifi settings page
? Overall I don't feel the phone as "alive" as before

Jakez98

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I've always considered 8.1 to be a step backwards in terms of general usability of the core OS features.

Coming from a long time Windows Phone 7 user, Windows Phone has always been known to offer a smooth and fast performance with elegant integrations. Everything loads up instantly.

Now with 8.1, we see splash screens all the time (Calendar, Music, Video, Games) Even with the built-in Xbox Music app, scrolling stutters, animation lags, and the iconic live tiles are gone too.

The Games hub and Me tile used to be functional and very useful. In fact, it was one of the core OS features that WP users brag about to our Android and iOS friends. Our games are not cluttered in the app list like Android. We have an elegant Pictures hub with panorama background images, and 8.1 have reduced it to a plain, amateur-ish photo app.

I wouldn't say I hate 8.1. It's more of a disappointment to me.

Cortana is pretty much a gimmick.

Notification center is actually useful if I can turn off Wi-Fi without being directed to the settings screen, and if it has the option to turn off data too.

3 columns of live tiles and background picture is nice.

And having a file manager is awesome too.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
A lot of the complaints you guys have listed above are so well though out, good job.

I also find it a pain that I am redirected to my WiFi settings whenever I try to turn it off, and the lack of a mobile data toggle is also a pain. You also need to unlock the phone to use a lot of those toggles.

Cortana has a lot of potential but it is limited by the OS itself, I can not make simple interactions with Cortana when the phone is locked, it always tells me to unlock it first.

The splash screen problem is also true. The Music, Video and Calendar apps were much faster on Windows Phone 8, now I have to go through splash screens before my content is shown.

Overall I really like the Windows Phone 8.1 update, it added a lot of amazing features however because of the limitations and flaws put in place by Microsoft the OS is much worse than before.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
You can't judge all Android phones like that. I agree most Android phones do not match the quality provided by the Pureview range for photography however Android does video recording better(4k, 60FPS and 120FPS).

Yeah iOS is kinda boring. Lives tiles FTW!

I don't care about FPS and 4k. I like low-light photos. And Lumia have the best low light photos. :eek:rly:
I like Xperia Z2, Moto X and Nexus. But.... Moto X and Nexus have a bad battery and bad camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon