Google Docs in windows phone 8.1

W

WPCentral Question

Updated my Lumia Icon to WP8.1 last night. Mostly nice upgrades, but the functionality of google docs seems totally effed.

Obviously the google drive apps are total ****, but I used to be able to access my drive files via internet explorer. Not a great solution, but passable. After updating to WP8.1 accessing google spreadsheets in explorer is totally borked. Can't load the desktop view, which was slow but useable. Stuck with the mobile version, which allows me to see one column and 20+/- rows at a time. Obviously, that's not too useful. Anyone else seeing this problem, or know of solutions?

Is MS working on forcing me to choose between google docs and Windows Phone? If so, they lose. I've only had my Icon a few months, but I'll gladly throw it in a river and go back to an android phone if this issue is the result of MS hardballing their WP users to abandon all google services.

mplezia

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Crispin, thanks for the reply. I have my website preference set as desktop and there is even a link at the google docs site to toggle between the desktop and mobile site. selecting the link for desktop does nothing. I get a momentary flicker of the screen indicating that I've hit the link, but it goes nowhere and doesn't change anything about the page. Feels like the browser attempts to follow the link, but gets forced back to the mobile site.

I feel like there must be an answer, because I can't be the only person trying to use a google spreadsheet on a windows phone. But, searching the web, I see few/no other meaningful complaints about the issue.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Google is the problem here. Google and MS hate each other so Google don't want to produce apps for WP.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 820 Tapatalk

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like Google hasn't updated their Google Drive website to support IE 11. You can try another browser such as UC Browser as sometimes websites that worked in mobile IE 10 but not 11 will work. However, if you rely heavily on Google services and are unable/unwilling to switch, Windows Phone is not a good option, at least not at this time as Google has not been willing to support the platform as of yet.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Google is the problem here. Google and MS hate each other so Google don't want to produce apps for WP.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 820 Tapatalk
But the most evil of both is Google. Microsoft, at least release apps for Android but Google hate so much Microsoft that it even demanded Microsoft to remove a Youtube app made by Microsoft.

mplezia

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Does the update to WP8.1 move you from IE10 to IE11? Just checked with UC browser and it does the same thing.

I understand that google doesn't make apps for WP. That's not my issue. But, given that there aren't really any apps that function with google docs, I've been left with using the browser to access it. If I get cut off through the browser, then that's a problem.

It worked fine yesterday before the update to WP8.1. Now it's borked.

I like my Icon, and there's a lot I like about WP, but this is the sort of thing that will make me ditch the phone, regardless of who is at fault.

Looking at pocket file manager. Thanks for the tip.

mplezia

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Looked at pocket file manager, but that's not helpful for what I'm after. Just for context, I'll describe my issue in the event someone else might have a work-around.

I have some google spreadsheets that pull dynamic data from the web (e.g., google finance data and financial prices from Yahoo). One simple example is the current prices for stocks I own and/or I'm tracking. So, my google spreadsheet provides constant updates to prices (and thus, my portfolio balances) among other things. I've built these spreadsheets bit by bit over a few years to do these calculations on the fly and am not interested in losing the ability to view them on my phone.

A solution like pocket file manager appears to simply download a snapshot of the spreadsheet. So, that doesn't actually help me with what I'm trying to do.

Would I consider adapting them to excel online? Sure, except it doesn't have the web data import functionality. Right now there is no way to duplicate them in excel online. Someday? Maybe.

This isn't rocket science. I've got some simple spreadsheets importing some basic data from the web and doing some calculations on it. I've done it on my phone/tablet for 4-5 years. That MS can't provide that functionality at this point seems absurd. But, here I am.

:eck:

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Looked at pocket file manager, but that's not helpful for what I'm after. Just for context, I'll describe my issue in the event someone else might have a work-around.

I have some google spreadsheets that pull dynamic data from the web (e.g., google finance data and financial prices from Yahoo). One simple example is the current prices for stocks I own and/or I'm tracking. So, my google spreadsheet provides constant updates to prices (and thus, my portfolio balances) among other things. I've built these spreadsheets bit by bit over a few years to do these calculations on the fly and am not interested in losing the ability to view them on my phone.

A solution like pocket file manager appears to simply download a snapshot of the spreadsheet. So, that doesn't actually help me with what I'm trying to do.

Would I consider adapting them to excel online? Sure, except it doesn't have the web data import functionality. Right now there is no way to duplicate them in excel online. Someday? Maybe.

This isn't rocket science. I've got some simple spreadsheets importing some basic data from the web and doing some calculations on it. I've done it on my phone/tablet for 4-5 years. That MS can't provide that functionality at this point seems absurd. But, here I am.

:eck:
I don't want to sound like a butthurt but if you think Windows Phone does not meet the productivity enhancement you looking for. Them switch to Android if that is the environment that make work for your requirements.

mplezia

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Maclancer, I know my choices. I had android phones for several years up to now. I consciously chose WP, knowing that it would be an adjustment for me. But, this just seems so broken for such a seemingly simple thing. I'm still having a hard time believing that there isn't a fix for this. Honestly, it's the sort of thing that makes me seriously question the long-term viability of WP as a third mobile ecosystem. I want MS to succeed here, I really do. I bought the phone in support of that goal.

Regardless of who is to blame, or is acting more "evil" I use google services and I want access to them on my phone. That there aren't dedicated apps to do it was fine, since I could just use the web browser. It's lame, but it worked. Now, even that gimped functionality is gone and I just wonder if Cortana, the nice UI and nice hardware (camera, body, battery life, etc.) are worth the 3rd rate app experience.

Tough call.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've given up on Google Docs, they aren't making it remotely easy for me to use the service, so I was lucky enough to be able to just cut ties and enjoy my stuff in Office/OneDrive land.

Sadly there is only so much third-party apps can do.

Microsoft isn't hardballing anyone in this specific case, (others, I'm too young for that browser evilness who-knows-how-long-ago) Google refuses to play ball, and of course they want you to use Android. If a decent Google Drive experience is non-negotiable, I think your decision is easy and Google is validated.

Does anyone know how well Docs works in Safari or another mobile browser? I hope its the same across the board.

Interesting thing is, I switched to Gmail because it was more open (Yahoo wanted money for mobile client access IIRC) and now I've switched to Outlook.com because I can get my whatevers more easily across Android, etc.
Who knows what service is going to be next.

Huynh Huu Tho

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi mplezia!
I am not good at writting English, so I won't write so much!
I love WP too! And i love my choice! My WP help me so much, and today, i need to use google sheet for my work and i found Gdocs, but it doesn't work! So hopeless! But luckily, i read a post talking about Metro Drive and i've tried it, it work!
So, Won't you try it!

primozz

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Google docs are one big nightmare. Once downloaded (trough IE) i just cant move around them. It just fixes the view or says reload the page. So i found out that as soon as the data shows on your screen you hit the X (in the URL bar) to stop the download. Then it works fine for me. Be too early or too late and the problem is back on, sadly...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99