Thoughts on Windows Phone Cyan?

michael37

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Try this for lock screen, (coollockscreen) on app store, Works ok. There may be better out there, but with a few pics and a little tinkering can make a cool lock screen. sorry wont let me post links, new account.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
What's new on the start screen, with the signal, wifi, battery indicators? Seems that the wifi indicator has moved from more centered to right next to the service signal bars, and there are one or two little dots appearing at times above the wifi signal. Anyone know what these mean? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, and Cortana doesn't know what it is, or just won't tell me.

The 'dots' are tiny upload/download indicator arrows, for when your phone is sending or receiving data. You can get them over the service signal bars, too, if you're using cell data instead of WiFi.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to say, half of your 'Bad' reasons are invalid. You can't expect a update to do things for WhatsApp of windows doesn't own WhatsApp. You also can't expect a PowerPoint editor to come on a update too. You get those already in Office. Plus you're asking for all this crap you want in it and acting like its a bad update. ��
That depends on what your perspective is. I shifted from N8 from Nokia itself. It had those "crap" things which really worked, for me at least. May be for few others too. Whatsapp worked too well on N8 (Symbian Belle), almost as android. It also had quick office with powerpoint editor. So it depends.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
The 'dots' are tiny upload/download indicator arrows, for when your phone is sending or receiving data. You can get them over the service signal bars, too, if you're using cell data instead of WiFi.
I do not get those tiny arrows on L925, but only on L720 (both running Cyan). I do not know why or if there is any option to turn it on or off.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I do not get those tiny arrows on L925, but only on L720 (both running Cyan). I do not know why or if there is any option to turn it on or off.

I don't know why you don't get them on your L925. I get them on my L920. I don't know of any configuration switches for them.

MaXi32

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
My lumia 925 worked without any problem before the cyan update, afterwards it's the battery life that bothers me the most. My camera went black one time. (after turning the device off/on it worked again)
And the lack of app's from the windows store is anoying, but that has nothing to do with windows itself.
For the rest the action center needs to be updated to add the option data connection.
I like the way windows phone works and if they try to keep up with the other os, I don't feel the need to change.

Switch to android phone. :) You will never come back to Windows Phone.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Switch to android phone. :) You will never come back to Windows Phone.
In fact, it's the android that keeps me on wp. Android is the biggest info thief. It steals every bit of user data which is never required for an app. It's one of biggest topic of debet. Anyway, this is not the point here. It's just to help users and improve wp.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I updated my phone Lumia 525 on 5th through OTA updates. There were two updates for me. One updated was some version of WP8 that prepared me for Cyan and other was actual Cyan update. The whole process took one and a half to two hours for me. I did a hard reset before updating my phone to cyan. And after update, entered a new class 10 32GB of SD card.

Well, here goes my experience for Cyan:

Pros:
- loving the start screen background
- loving more tiles
- loving live lock screen
- loving new notification options. This new control over notifications is awesome. Gone are the days when your personal messages will show right in the face of a stranger through banner/toasts.
It is sad that currently no app is taking full advantage of these notification controls.
- faster animations albeit jittery.
- faster keyboard. Keys register faster because of wordflow algorithms.
- and the BIGGEST one. Ability to move apps and games to SD card.
- if facebook beta is any indication, faster notifications.
- BETTER BATTERY LIFE. I wanted to emphasize on this point because most people here say that their battery life worsened after Cyan Update. But it wasn't the case for me. Before cyan, the battery app used to predict 18hours of battery life on full recharge and on moderate to heavy use, my phone would barely last six hours. After cyan, battery saver gives me over two days of time and on moderated to heavy use, I can last more than 12hours. So that is double the amount of battery life for me after cyan update.
- loved internet explorer's reading mode and download capability. It opened and saved pdfs and mp3s for me. It does support background download as well which was great.
- Files app is a real improvement since you can organize your content through here. Make custom albums for photos. Documents. Downloads. I was able to find downloaded items by sorting the list on recently added.

Cons:
-Music, video, games and store apps look more bland and depressing, more content in your face, slow and buggy.
I'd love to know who hurt the teams developing these apps.
MS lost the looks, the minimalism, smoothness and functionality in these apps. I'm hoping they will improve sooner rather than later.
- overall loss of smoothness and fluidity and some lag here and there particularly in store app. Don't get me wrong. Animations are faster, just not that smooth anymore.
- those terrible green screens when loading Xbox music, video or games app that scars you forever.
- I can no longer share anything to twitter untill twitter updates its app taking advantage of SAF APIs in WP8.1 which, if past is any indication, isn't happening anytime soon. Hastag sedlyf.

So, that's it folks. I'll still laude it for what it brought rather than what it broke in a hope that MS will fix it soon.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Still no proper Office. MS Word is basically notepad, no spelling or grammar checking and very little formatting. Excel is just as bad. When they say these phones come with MS Office they are simply lying.

altbus1

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Because the camera/ battery problems didn't go away by itself I've tried a hard reset.
I don't like to do that but that was almost a month a go and I didn't had any problems after the hard reset.
Like my phone again... :)

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm quite happy that the WiFi toggle takes me to the WiFi settings. Its not much extra effort to then click on the toggle to turn it off.

When I'm at home I switch between the router upstairs and downstairs as the coverage from either doesn't cover the whole house.

The setting is very convenient for me.

wincrazy

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
you try to close any much consumption function such as cellula-data, or location, come to the battery save guide from some online sources to get advices

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss