Dell Technologies Cyber Savings Event - Up to 45% off

07-25-2014 09:05 AM
137 1234 ...
tools
    The stock actually closed at no change. The stock market doesn't determine everything, but obviously investors think MSFT is making the right moves. It wasn't long ago that the stock price was hovering around $26, and now it's $44.53. It's definitely a positive for their financial well-being.
    Investors think Microsoft is making the right moves to maximize the value of their portfolio so they get the best return when they sell their stock. They don't care in the least whether it is really in the best long term interest of the company. Sorry but this purely about the instant gratification obsession that now guides business decisions. It will also make the next stock crash/bubble burst at least as ugly (if not worse) than the last.
    07-18-2014 04:10 PM
    I actually see the recent news as a short term pain, then a long term gain. I would venture a guess that the OS teams dropped a lot of dead weight. The cancelled phone could have been canned due to it being gimmicky, and MS recognizing that.

​I really think that focusing on strengths is the best thing long term.
    Sorry but it is quite the opposite. What is happening is all about short term gain (boost in stock) and long term pain. They have the CEO stockholders want, not one who will grow the company for another generation. This has become a common business model which almost never ends well. He is replacing a long term plan and multiple projects with slogans, memos, and vaporware,
    ohgood likes this.
    07-18-2014 04:31 PM
    Going back to the topic of McLaren (if that's ok) then with it being dismissed is a good thing. Why? Think how many people just bought the 1320.....they would be so pissed off they would leave. That's the mistake apple makes. They release a new phone every year.... That's bad as its expensive to buy a new phone every year. I just got my 1520 and I love it. Sure it wouldn't bother me if the McLaren was launched but if say 2-3 new phones a year came out then I would be worried as my phone would be outdated and therefore may not be included in any future updates. I think the Lumia handsets are great and since I first got into a windows phone with my 520 I have never looked back and can't see myself going back to apple or android again
    07-18-2014 04:31 PM
    I have tried Channel 9 to learn C#, Bob Tabor's goal is to get you to learn C# as fast as possible and I found it hard to keep up with him after 9 videos, maybe because I'm too stupid. :/

Oh and your Atmosphere weather app still crashes after the splashscreen on my Lumia 520 running Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview.

By the way I wanted to know how did you design the amazing UI? Photoshop?

I know a decent amount of grapbic design in Paint.NET and I could make a good app, but still learning C#, at a very slow pace though, sadly.
    Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk
    07-18-2014 05:12 PM
    3d gestures was never going to be ready by xmas , not at consumer level , where Microsoft wouldn't get ripped and it called a gimmick

what Microsoft really need to do is throw everything they do have at their disposal right now and get a beast of a phone out to all markets in all colours with no network exclusives

I mean why buy nokia hardware division if your not going to utilise it and make money out of it and the research they have already done

get a 5" , 32gb + micro sd slot , 41mp pureview xenon flash based camera with some slight improvements over the 1020 (808 size sensor) , a snapdragon 801/805 soc with latest gpu , try to get some monster battery life , 5" 1080p high quality screen like 1520 , try to make it waterproof , good quality speakers , infa red port , mhl connection for usb in and tv out , keep the Lumia design , loads of cool colours , wireless charging built in , a true successor to the 920 and 1020 all rolled into one beast of a device so consumers aren't confused as wether to get the 1520 , the 930 or the 1020 because they can get one device that has it all ..... all this leaving things out of devices and including it in others that also have something missing is so annoying :-/ throw everything you have into it and then add a kitchen sink is what I say ;-)

the devolopers , the reviewers , the consumers will all be happy , no one will be able to slate the phone , it will be the highest grade running the latest spec and the thing is Microsoft have the stuff to build this device , to release it asap , to get it to all markets and advertise the hell out of it and we are still waiting??
    iHeartBretski and vish2801 like this.
    07-18-2014 05:18 PM
    Going back to the topic of McLaren (if that's ok) then with it being dismissed is a good thing. Why? Think how many people just bought the 1320.....they would be so pissed off they would leave. That's the mistake apple makes. They release a new phone every year.... That's bad as its expensive to buy a new phone every year. I just got my 1520 and I love it. Sure it wouldn't bother me if the McLaren was launched but if say 2-3 new phones a year came out then I would be worried as my phone would be outdated and therefore may not be included in any future updates. I think the Lumia handsets are great and since I first got into a windows phone with my 520 I have never looked back and can't see myself going back to apple or android again

What do you mean by Apple makes a mistake? Every phone company releases a new phone every year, mostly. Even Nokia.

That's the thing about technology you buy something, it's gonna be outdated in a matter of months.

When the Lumia 1520 launched it's specifications we're already a bit outdated. But don't worry too much about this.

The only company that is the worst at this is Sony, they release new phones every 6 months and provide very little support for older phones.

Motorola, HTC, Google, Apple and Nokia would be the best in this regard, releasing phones on an yearly basis and getting updates on them for 2+ years.
    07-18-2014 05:30 PM
    Ms didn't buy Nokia just to give up on mobile. There's probably a lot of overlap now with Nokia being folded in. As far as the canceled projects, sometimes you research something and it goes nowhere, actually much of the time. Nothing to really be concerned about. People said the same thing about WinFS, which while it never materialized much of what MS learned did make it into other products.
    a5cent likes this.
    07-18-2014 05:38 PM
    Windows Phones will always be around, just like they have been for the past 14 years.

The market share may never be high, MS doesn't care, just like the past 14 years.

MS understands the only Block Buster has been the 520. Not the icon, or 1020, or whatever else people here try to hype up.
    dzukela likes this.
    07-18-2014 05:53 PM
    Largely selfish? Would you consider someone with a job selfish for accepting a paycheck every week?

I'd say they're pretty well informed and realize that the layoffs mean MS is focused on getting rid of the duplicate and unprofitable parts of the company. So they can streamline their business and make them more money.
    So what? People that work for a living because that isn't at all what I'm talking about. Moreover, that doesn't mean shareholders aren't like any other gambler in Las Vegas, hoping to hit it big doing less and it doesn't matter who else loses just as long as it isn't them.
    07-18-2014 05:57 PM
    I am an Application developer who has always had faith in Windows Phone and kept all of my apps exclusive to this platform. I have released apps like Atmosphere, which has been featured here on WPCentral and the Windows Store multiple times and receives over 10,000 downloads every two weeks. In the past, I have released apps that patched holes in WP such as Speech, which was essentially "Cortana before Cortana". The point is, I am extremely loyal to the WP8 platform and have developed for it even during the darkest times when every other developer was porting to android and iOS. The McLaren news, coupled with the latest news about layoffs of software teams, cancellation of feature phones that paved the way for new smartphone users to adopt WP8, among other things, sends one single, chilling message about the future of windows phone - that the future simply does not exist.

Windows Phone is struggling with marketshare now - when people were hyped and excited for features like Cortana, 8.1, and the MCLaren. This is the time when windows phone should be flourishing. But it isn't. Now, following this news, I can't even begin to imagine the fallout. Initial comments are reporting that people are quitting windows phone en masse, people who follow this website, and the ONLY people that follow this website are loyal WP8.1 users.

If people that have been loyal to the platform for years are leaving, imagine regular smartphone users who buy the most heavily advertised item on the market. These WP users will flock to the next generation of phones, such as the iPhone 6 and the next Android phones, not even giving WP a single thought. Why? Because there is nothing competitive on the market for the user to buy. No one wants a one-generation-old "flagship" device. And when the only WP8.1 flagship device is an outdated flagship device, that translates into sales stalling to a halt.

I'm still deciding if I will continue developing for Windows, but I am most certanly not staying with it. Microsoft might as well have comitted suicide with some of these recent news stories, and when MS commits suicide, users and developers leave.
    I love your work. And thanks for developing for Windows Phones.

Don't let minor news like this interrupted your focus. WP is here to stay.

Please continue the good and developing for Windows Phones. You still have an audition of millions here ready to use your services.
    dzukela likes this.
    07-18-2014 06:30 PM
    I love your work. And thanks for developing for Windows Phones.

Don't let minor news like this interrupted your focus. WP is here to stay.

Please continue the good work and developing for Windows Phones. You still have an audition of millions here ready to use your services.
    07-18-2014 06:33 PM
    Windows Phones is in need of dev's like yourself. We will support you.

Rip, Rip, Rip.

Make that million downloads. 😊

Thanks for your apps.
    Last edited by k0de; 07-18-2014 at 06:49 PM.
    07-18-2014 06:35 PM
    If they don't have any high end phone this holiday period, then for sure WP is dead.
    Now how in the hell is this statement even remotely true? High end phones have NEVER had anything to do with WP's growth. At most, the 920 pushed 3 million units, but that's it. With almost all of WP's growth in the low end sector and many OEMs unveiling low end handsets, how in the hell does not having a high end WP this holiday season kill it?
    k0de, theefman, Residing and 2 others like this.
    07-18-2014 06:44 PM
    Now how in the hell is this statement even remotely true? High end phones have NEVER had anything to do with WP's growth. At most, the 920 pushed 3 million units, but that's it. With almost all of WP's growth in the low end sector and many OEMs unveiling low end handsets, how in the hell does not having a high end WP this holiday season kill it?
    WP is still here to stay. Agree!
    JamesPTao likes this.
    07-18-2014 06:53 PM
    That's depressing...
    07-18-2014 06:53 PM
    That's depressing...
    Pass me the hoop.

Rip, Rip, Rip.

Elaborate doggy?
    Last edited by k0de; 07-18-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    Skamath likes this.
    07-18-2014 06:54 PM
    According to MS 3D Touch isn't dead, just McLaren. Which could just mean they're reevaluating hardware options to drive it. Time will tell. Unfortunately they're already playing catch-up and time isn't on their side. They need to do something the other guy isn't to really breakthrough. 3D touch could've been (and hopefully still can be) it.
    k0de likes this.
    07-18-2014 06:57 PM
    Here's my question, what have Microsoft's recent announcements regarding WP been about and hinted at? From the recent round of emails from actual Microsoft decision making employees that were leaked, focusing more on it, using it to showcase the best of Microsoft, removing any distractions like the X range and probably others. Now can anyone point to where Microsoft officially announced, hinted at, or otherwise said anything specific about any device or future features for this holiday season?

The problem with all this gnashing of teeth, wailing and rolling on the ground is that its all based on rumors, nothing more and we all know how things can change when they are still in the rumor stage and not confirmed. This is why I don't believe any of this distress, anxiety or chillingness is warranted, we DONT KNOW what Microsoft has planned, and just because we don't know doesn't automatically mean there will be a negative outcome. When November rolls by and there's no flagship/hero/high end device then it would make sense to be concerned, upset or whatever but basing any decisions solely on rumors or the lack of for any new handsets just doesn't make sense at all to me.

And yes, I did mean premature, not immature in my previous post. :)

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
    07-18-2014 07:47 PM
    I think what he is trying to say is holiday sales is crucial if there is no flagship WP phone and only apple HTC and Samsung then as might as well throw in the towel.
    07-18-2014 07:56 PM
    I still hope to grab a Lumia 1020, I'm a camera buff and it has good ram. Only downside is screen and processor. Maybe a updated 1020 would be cool
    07-18-2014 08:30 PM
    I probably am switching to the iPhone If the size is significantly better and I am one of the biggest Lumia fanboys here on this site.

Microsoft to me seems like they are confused or have no clue what to do. At first I could deal with slow. Slow was still good just slow.

In all honesty if I do switch it will be because Microsoft in two years since the 920 launch has not shown me they were solid. I've heard promises and promises and half baked ideas that come but never are fully thought out.

If I go to apple it is not for the apps. I dont care about the apps. It is because I want a platform with a future and I don't want to invest in WP and apps especially if the platform is floundering.

The grd1 update is going to have to blow me away with some supposed features because as of today if the iPhone 6 is big enough, I no longer have a reason to stay with windows phone
    dgr_874 likes this.
    07-18-2014 08:44 PM
    Not sure what the issue is, Microsoft is going to release high end devices . !! see below statement from Jo Harlow

"shift our flagship engineering efforts towards new flagship products timed with the next release of Windows and Windows Phone," - threshold next year

. "To drive success in the short term, we plan to focus our high end go-to-market strategy on the Lumia 930, Lumia 1520, and other high-end products that we will be announcing very soon," says Jo Harlow.
    vitor.rf and 12Danny123 like this.
    07-18-2014 08:48 PM
    They cancelled McLaren. THAT'S IT.

They're not shutting mobile division. 1020 just got EoL and shut down feature phones, which means other models can be manufactured at a larger scale.

WP has had a non-stop rise in marketshare AND quality apps. Stop being so freaking paranoid, it's too american

You're forgetting EVERYTHING you know about WP8.1 is barelly coming out now for the average user.
    Cortana is still in beta, and Microsoft is really pushing everything forward.
    Skamath, forked and iHeartBretski like this.
    07-18-2014 09:26 PM
    The McLaren news, coupled with the latest news about layoffs of software teams, cancellation of feature phones that paved the way for new smartphone users to adopt WP8, among other things, sends one single, chilling message about the future of windows phone - that the future simply does not exist.
    I don't think it's that bad. What everything over the last 3 months has taught me is that MS marketing/messaging is awful. This past April, I was pretty pumped about the platform. New version of the OS, cool stuff like Cortana, notification center and cool lock screens. Then they told us "you know how you're annoyed that the WP and Win8 APIs are different? Now we're merging them and you can write Xbox apps using these tools too! Oh, and we're partnering with Xamarin so you can write Android and iPhone apps with the tools you know." They even showed us the new prototype start menu for Windows 9(?). Oh, and devs could download the new OS the next week. It was so good that no devs complained about the lack of WPF stuff, Silverlight 6, XNA or any other technology MS has tossed in the wastebasket. As a dev myself, I was pretty excited after //Build.

Half the things that you're worried about are not that bad. The layoffs are sadly necessary. MS and Nokia have both been looked on as bloated, Nokia in particular. In the Operating Systems Group (where WP is) the bulk of the cuts are in testing and the Xbox group making TV content. Doesn't seem so bad. I don't really mind the McLaren news. 3D touch has always seemed gimmicky to me, and I'd like to think that someone upstairs killed it so they wouldn't make a bigger mistake down the road. I assume they have something else up their sleeve. Feature phones and the Nokia X devices don't do anything for WP or by extension Microsoft. WP can run on dirt-cheap hardware and no longer has a license fee, so it's still got a chance in the low-end market. I view these as smart if tough decisions.

Where I'm a lot more unnerved is the lack of compelling hardware lately. A year ago, we had the 1020 and the 1520, both very compelling pieces of unique WP hardware. Now almost a year later we have the 630 and Icon as the flagship devices, and while the specs sheet for them isn't bad, it doesn't feel like a compelling upgrade. It's certainly not getting the kind of buzz on this site that the 1020 and 1520 did. 8.1 is finally finding its way onto retail phones and there's no compelling new hardware out there for it! Really? By far the biggest thing was the Android rumors floating around. They were from reliable sources but MS wouldn't even say "no comment". The community tied itself in knots about it but MS marketing/PR couldn't be bothered to address it. Now with the McLaren news, it looks like MS is bouncing from one desperate idea to another. I doubt they are. I'd be surprised if MS didn't have an Android runtime skunkworks project working. Prototypes get built and cancelled all the time before being released. It's just that they don't usually get revealed by leakers. And yet MS is happy not to say a word and let the forum/twitter/blogoverse rumor mill churn away while MS ends up looking completely incompetent. They have a good OS, but no reason for new users to upgrade to new hardware right now and they're leaving their hard-core users upset and spreading negative buzz.

Nadella has made it clear that WP is a big part of MS's strategy going forward. WP had a prominent place at WPC this year, as did the concept of the universal app that can work across all MS devices. Their strategy and their software and dev tech have me excited but their coordination with hardware manufacturers and their marketing/PR leave me dumbfounded.
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    07-18-2014 09:44 PM
    Well Said. I have changed my phone as often as 2-3 years and never was worried that the current phone will be outdated tomorrow. So what if McLaren is out, for all you know the guy who leaked it might be on the out with the company trying to hurt it or may be McLaren is out as they are making more room for Ferrari ;)
    You will never know. I like your Switch Side Method thinking :)
    07-18-2014 09:52 PM
137 1234 ...