As a developer, the McLaren news is even more chilling.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
The conversation isn't about just one cancelled phone, its more about the state of WP and the cancellation is something else to add to the situation.

I am not getting worked up over all this because for me these are just phones, I can move to another one if need be...its not the end of my world. But to say WP is in great condition and nothing is wrong, well that's fine for the optimists...but as a realist is seems iffy right now. That's my 2 cents

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
theefman ....... You fail to see what you don't want to see...

Personally I don't care one way or the other, and in giving the op some encouragement to expand his horizons isn't a bad thing either way.

Right now there is no flagship phone being discussed, and to kill the one that was causes concerns for quite a few folks. People are tired of waiting and with good reason. People are also distrustful because of Microsoft past. Without a clear idea of what the hell they are doing and what they are coming out with people tend to assume the worst...

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The conversation isn't about just one cancelled phone, its more about the state of WP and the cancellation is something else to add to the situation.

I am not getting worked up over all this because for me these are just phones, I can move to another one if need be...its not the end of my world. But to say WP is in great condition and nothing is wrong, well that's fine for the optimists...but as a realist is seems iffy right now. That's my 2 cents

No one is arguing that all is honky dory in WP land, just that its not the end of the world that a single phone has been cancelled. And the flipside of that is, even if the McLaren had been released that would not resolve all the issues affecting WP so its cancellation itself is not a reason to behave like the sky is falling.

Personally I don't care one way or the other, and in giving the op some encouragement to expand his horizons isn't a bad thing either way.

Right now there is no flagship phone being discussed, and to kill the one that was causes concerns for quite a few folks. People are tired of waiting and with good reason. People are also distrustful because of Microsoft past. Without a clear idea of what the hell they are doing and what they are coming out with people tend to assume the worst...

Point is, no one here knows what Microsoft's plans are for the end of the year. If people are tired of waiting, they can always switch. This wont be the first year Microsoft has kept their cards close to their chests and I'm pretty sure it wont be the last. I personally don't see the point in moping over a future device that could have been a flop for all anyone knows, as no one has seen any pictures of it or its interface in action, what API's would have been available or how much developers would have embraced it.

But as you say,
so I shall leave it to you sage people with the vision to ponder the impending death of WP......

nightspark

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
McLaren was more gimmick than anything else. It would have just been a feature no one would use. Just like kinect. New flagship are in the pipeline. The reason they haven't been announced is most likely due to their Nokia purchase. And look at the SP3 announcement, everyone was expecting a mini, not once was anything like the SP3 speculated.

Last edited:

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
That doesn't matter. Gimmicks sell. Ask Samsung about that!

I think that the simply releasing a device that WP users were geared up for and anxiously awaiting would have meant a lot, gimmicky or not.

The L1020 is the smartphone with the best camera in the world, that's more than gimmick, although the demand was low as with any other high-end Lumia.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The L1020 is the smartphone with the best camera in the world, that's more than gimmick, although the demand was low as with any other high-end Lumia.

Yes, the 1020's camera is not a gimmick, I agree. And for the record, I don't really agree with nightspark that McLaren was gimmicky. I was trying to say that, even if it was, gimmicks sell, if Samsung's success is any indication.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
This is disturbing when a good developer raises concerns like he has, and the fan boys take issue with his concerns and say he is overreacting and to chill out.

To those here that continually say " wait and see" how long does he need to do this, before formulating a plan to develop for other platforms.

Do what is in your best interest Op...... and don't worry about it. If and when Microsoft gets their act together, nothing is stopping you from developing for them again if it still appeals to you, and developing on other platforms just expands your base. There is nothing wrong with hedging your portfolio 😉

I see where you're coming from but in my honest opinion, McLaren isn't really a big issue since it was never officially confirmed by Microsoft. While I'm pretty much scared of what is left with WP, I think this has something to do with the change in Administration.

What Microsoft needs to do is to focus on 1 flagship, 1 phablet, 1 mid range and 1 entry level device. They also need to stop with these carrier exclusives and release all their phones worldwide. This Lumia Icon and 930 **** is just too much especially for naming the devices. Both are basically the same specs wise with the 930 having the slightest difference in design. They release too much phones and while this may look good, it garners more confusion to the general public.

Look at Samsung for example, with the Tab Pro and the Tab S. Both are released within just a few months and both are basically the same in performance. Sure the Tab S 8.4 has 3GBs of RAM and the Pro 8.4 has 2GBs but with twice the bloatware in the S, it barely makes a difference. It's basically the same thing with different screen technology.

Another example is the Lumia 820. It had three variants, 820, 822 and the 810. All basically the same sans the design. If they are going to make a flagship, they should not make a spin off just for one carrier. They need to flat out distribute THAT flagship across all carriers. It saves time and resources at the same time.

Microsft needs to stick with just ONE phone in every consumer level.

(Sorry about that I just need to let it out)

And OP, you should definitely try developing for iOS and Android, I mean do what's best for you and I think it would be best to make apps for two of the largest Mobile OSes. I wanna say thank you for contributing to Windows Phone's quality apps and I hope this is not the last we'll be hearing from you.

Good luck on your new endeavor!

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The phone simply is too thick and heavy for a flagship in 2014. Im sorry, some people here like heft in a phone for whatever reason, but this is a phone! Something you hold in your hand all day, you can make this slim, lightweight and still gorgeous (eg iPhone 5s and HTC One M8)
It is fun that the fact it is heavy is what I like of these phones xD

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site

Waze is pretty good, I used it with my IPhone before switching to WP. Waze is also owned by Google, so... no it is a first party app if you will. If I remember the reason no glance is found on the 930 was the time frame they needed the screens, and the producer of the screens that could fill the order did not have any with the dedicated memory needed to make Glance work.

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
The issue isn't that one rumored phone is getting canceled. The problem is there aren't any other rumors out there. This holiday season, there will be many people with Lumia 920s, Lumia 820s and HTC 8Xs who will be at the end of their contract and looking to upgrade. As of right now, we don't know of any new options to upgrade to. There hasn't been any kind of announcement. If nothing new comes out, many of those users will likely be jumping to iPhone or Android. Is there anyone here who can honestly say that users migrating from Windows Phone to iPhone/Android could somehow be good for Windows Phone? Didn't think so. So not only will the growth of the Windows Phone platform slow down as non Windows Phone users buy new iPhones and Android phones, it will in fact shrink as existing Windows Phone users migrate to new, high end phones due to the lack of options on the Windows Phone platform.

Unfortunately, the Lumia 1020, 1520 and Icon are no longer "new" phones. Even though they are all upgrades to 920s and 8Xs, they are not big enough or recent enough upgrades to keep those users when they can actually upgrade to an iPhone 6 or whatever the latest Samsung Galaxy phone is. While it's true that Microsoft can get a new phone out in time for the holidays, they'll need to announce it in the near future.

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
The issue isn't that one rumored phone is getting canceled. The problem is there aren't any other rumors out there. This holiday season, there will be many people with Lumia 920s, Lumia 820s and HTC 8Xs who will be at the end of their contract and looking to upgrade. As of right now, we don't know of any new options to upgrade to. There hasn't been any kind of announcement. If nothing new comes out, many of those users will likely be jumping to iPhone or Android. Is there anyone here who can honestly say that users migrating from Windows Phone to iPhone/Android could somehow be good for Windows Phone? Didn't think so. So not only will the growth of the Windows Phone platform slow down as non Windows Phone users buy new iPhones and Android phones, it will in fact shrink as existing Windows Phone users migrate to new, high end phones due to the lack of options on the Windows Phone platform.

Unfortunately, the Lumia 1020, 1520 and Icon are no longer "new" phones. Even though they are all upgrades to 920s and 8Xs, they are not big enough or recent enough upgrades to keep those users when they can actually upgrade to an iPhone 6 or whatever the latest Samsung Galaxy phone is. While it's true that Microsoft can get a new phone out in time for the holidays, they'll need to announce it in the near future.

Apple hasn't announced a new iPhone, Samsung hasn't announced a new Galaxy. Apple doesn't announce the iPhone 6 in July for the same reasons MS hasn't announced anything. It's not ready yet. If MS announces a new flagship now then it'll kill potential sales of already available phone. I have no doubts MS will announce a flagship phone just like Apple and Samsung will continue to release new phones every year.

The problem is the WP community (especially in this forum) appears to be in a perpetual state of panic. Constantly assuming the worst and threatening to leave the platform due to every bug, rumor, and announcement. I'm not saying MS is doing a great job communicating but let's try to keep things in perspective around here.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Devices get shelved all the time. Most of them you don't hear about. This is one reason why companies try to control device leaks, so its not doom and gloom if a device isn't ready or gets cancelled.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Apple hasn't announced a new iPhone, Samsung hasn't announced a new Galaxy. Apple doesn't announce the iPhone 6 in July for the same reasons MS hasn't announced anything. It's not ready yet. If MS announces a new flagship now then it'll kill potential sales of already available phone. I have no doubts MS will announce a flagship phone just like Apple and Samsung will continue to release new phones every year.

The problem is the WP community (especially in this forum) appears to be in a perpetual state of panic. Constantly assuming the worst and threatening to leave the platform due to every bug, rumor, and announcement. I'm not saying MS is doing a great job communicating but let's try to keep things in perspective around here.

Apple has asked suppliers to manufacture between 70 million and 80 million of its two forthcoming large-screen iPhones by the end of the year, its largest initial production run of iPhones, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter.

Its forecast for the iPhones with 4.7-inch (11.9-cm) and 5.5-inch (14-cm) displays is much larger than the initial order last year of between 50 million and 60 million for iPhone 5S and 5C models, the people told the Journal.

Foxconn and Pegatron Corp plan to start mass producing the 4.7-inch iPhone model next month, and Hon Hai Precision Industry Co Ltd, whose parent is Foxconn, will begin making the 5.5-inch version exclusively in September, the people said.

Both iPhone 6 screens will be larger than the 4.0-inch (10.2-cm) panels on Apple’s existing iPhone 5S and 5C models.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

Again, we come back to the people egging on that since some users here are raising brows that the only high end rumored device is cancelled, with nothing else (yet) leaked or announced in the pipelines for 2014, its all an exaggeration (or in the alter term you put it, "panic"). While some users are OK going with the same phone for 3-4 years, others prefer to change phones yearly or every 2 years like the gent above said (whom are ending contracts). The HARDCORE WP fans here saying 'everything will be dandy' may just settle and upgrade to a 1520, or get a 930...but a lot of users wont bother and move onto the iPhone 6 or a possible new high end Android phone. Irrelevant to you? Cool, but not to MS...or it shouldn't be. Their marketshare is very well below 'well' at this time, and we see no aggressive marketing, hw releases, new products for WP in the works...just a few updates to 8.1 which are great, but not likely to draw in users from iPhone or Android.

If we are talking about individual situations, im sure majority here are fine. But if MS wants its shares to start climbing more than it has been, they need to get moving before its too late. This isn't a @!#%#@$PANIC!!!!@#$#, its just a discussion, we all want WP to succeed or be a GOOD competitor...but at this rate im still not seeing it, and neither are the thousands of people in my building, i work for a major ISP in a building of 8k people...other than my 1020, ive only seen 3 other people with WP's....sad.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple hasn't announced a new iPhone, Samsung hasn't announced a new Galaxy.

I'm sure that you are as convinced as anybody else that a new iPhone and Samsung Galaxy are coming. You can even tell us approximately when they'll be released. But you, along with everyone else, have no clue what is on its way down Microsoft's pike.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6