Are you going to go back to WP8 to get the Cyan update?

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi all :)

I created this thread to help people on Developers Preview decide if they should revert to WP8 or wait for MS to fix the problem with the update from the preview...

I am in Ireland and my network got Cyan this morning, I could not update straight away as I was on DP so I downloaded the Nokia Software Recovery Tool and I reverted back to WP8. The whole process was simple and short enough ( 15 minutes ). I installed Cyan straight away after I reverted and everything runs smoother now since all the apps and OS are re-installed. I think it is well worth it to revert and spend just a bit more time on it than wait for MS for a fix that will take them forever or may never happen :/

So it's up to you Developers Preview users.

Tell me what you think!

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
My phone does not use bitlocker encryption and currently running v12400 of DP relaesed two-three days back. I will face no issues when Cyan will be released in my region since its just a firmware upgrade and should have no issues with current OS version. So, there are no thoughts to downgrade :)

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
My phone does not use bitlocker encryption and currently running v12400 of DP relaesed two-three days back. I will face no issues when Cyan will be released in my region since its just a firmware upgrade and should have no issues with current OS version. So, there are no thoughts to downgrade :)

Except the fact they have blocked all people with the preview from obtaining Cyan until they fix whatever is wrong, even after it's released in your region.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
There will be a fix available. I don't expect Cyan to be released for my AT&T 1520 for at least a few weeks. If, by chance, a fix is not available by then, I don't mind flashing WP8 to upgrade. I was probably going to do a hard reset anyway to fix any potential issues lingering from the preview so it's just one extra step in the procedure.

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
What makes you think the fix will 'take forever or may never happen"?

Microsoft said a lot before and some things never happened, like Cortana in the UK was going to be released few weeks ago ( they said it on twitter ) and there was suppose to be no problem with upgrade to Cyan when on DP...

I just doubt that the fix will arrive soon... although I may be wrong :)

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't use bitlocker and by the time AT&T gets the update out this will all over.
No reason to roll back. Just keep on with 8.1 DP

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
By the way, doesn't downgrading mean installing the same OS again but with Cyan at the end. What changed?

Yes, but Cyan brings firmware updates which should fix any minor glitches and improve overall stability of the phone. Also on some phones like the 1520 and 930, it brings some additional features. The OS will remain the same. Due to a technical glitch, users with Bitlocker are unable to perform the Cyan upgrade when 8.1 is already installed. They probably were unable to block the update for just Bitlocker users so they blocked it for all developer preview users until a fix is available. Temporarily downgrading to WP8 is the workaround to installing Cyan (with 8.1) until a fix is available.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't use bitlocker and by the time AT&T gets the update out this will all over.
No reason to roll back. Just keep on with 8.1 DP

I agree. The only reason why I would roll back is if it is confirmed that Cyan is available for AT&T and my phone (1520). However, like you said, the fix will likely be available before AT&T pushes the update.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I wonder if using the recovery tool would install Cyan & 8.1 when available. It probably shouldn't be an issue because the phone is being wiped clean to install.

raker

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi all :)

I created this thread to help people on Developers Preview decide if they should revert to WP8 or wait for MS to fix the problem with the update from the preview...

I am in Ireland and my network got Cyan this morning, I could not update straight away as I was on DP so I downloaded the Nokia Software Recovery Tool and I reverted back to WP8. The whole process was simple and short enough ( 15 minutes ). I installed Cyan straight away after I reverted and everything runs smoother now since all the apps and OS are re-installed. I think it is well worth it to revert and spend just a bit more time on it than wait for MS for a fix that will take them forever or may never happen :/

So it's up to you Developers Preview users.

Tell me what you think!

I tried and bricked my Lumia :'(

niexus

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I already am :D
Battery life on WP8 is dramatically better than on WP8.1 and all hubs are back (background in photos hub, fb messaging in SMS app, list of all music related apps in Xbox music hub, this kind of stuff).
Everything else about downgrade is pain in the ***. From losing all my saves in games and settings in apps, through only two rows on start screen and no action center (I really don't care about notification center) and no swype keyboard.
Oh and 8 works much smoother than 8.1.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Any idea whether they will fix this and re-enable CYAN for DP 8.1 users, or will all DP 8.1 users need to flash back to 8.0? This is a real PITA, as I gave my dad a 925 with 8.1 DP and he lives in another city, so he can't flash it back himself.

meet0007

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Any idea whether they will fix this and re-enable CYAN for DP 8.1 users, or will all DP 8.1 users need to flash back to 8.0? This is a real PITA, as I gave my dad a 925 with 8.1 DP and he lives in another city, so he can't flash it back himself.

No just wait for the cyan update.
You don't need to downgrade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo