Wanting to Switch to Windows Phone

xjjon

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I currently am using a android but have been wanting to switch to a new windows phone. I hope to use it for 2 years so I was wondering when a new high-end phone will likely be released. I am using AT&T as my carrier. My father wanted to get a windows phone as well but he likes the 1020, so I am hoping to get him the successor to it.

godse573

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Seeing as how im not particularly familiar with at&t, I couldn't recommend a phone. What I can do is recommend the windows phone os. it is so very different and diverse from all the other os's. If your looking for simplicity and usability, this is your os. if your looking for dependability and great battery life, welcome to the world of windows phone. Honestly, ios and android do not stack up to the amazing qualities that the windows phone experience has to offer, and it is only going to get better. Ive been using windows phone 8 os for 2 years now, and I don't regret a single day of it.

oh and to answer your question, Microsoft did have a very technologically advanced flagship phone they were planning on releasing this fall, but abruptly cancelled it. What they have in store for the future, not many people know. But what we do know is there is an extensive amount of phones out now that can do the job until a new phone is released.

Thanks and good luck!

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I currently am using a android but have been wanting to switch to a new windows phone. I hope to use it for 2 years so I was wondering when a new high-end phone will likely be released. I am using AT&T as my carrier. My father wanted to get a windows phone as well but he likes the 1020, so I am hoping to get him the successor to it.

The successor to the 1020 is supposed to be out this fall. But could be spring as they might be incorporating canon digic processor to process photos off chip. The current 1020 is awesome my wife has it. 1520 Is very popular for people that like a large phone. My 920 is still serving me well. If you have the money and like the 1520 I highly recommend the 1520.3 the wireless qi charging is well worth it.

wavefuncollapse

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
No one really knows what's coming up for WP, neither on the hardware front nor on the software front. The phones don't seem to follow any cycle, so we're not sure what will be updated next, when or if it will even be updated. There is a high probability that Microsoft will not release any flagship until Q1 or Q2 2015, but will release some low, low-mid-range devices.

The rumor is that HTC will release a flagship Windows Phone called the W8. That would be the stand-out Windows phone and probably only flagship coming anytime soon. I'd say go for that, if you're in it for the OS and not for Nokia hardware... if you can wait, obviously.

Or get the 930 if you can. It's not the newest thing on the block, but it's great for what it is. The next-gen Androids and next-gen WPs (when they eventually come out) will make it feel outdated a bit, especially for its price.

It's not a great time for WP hardware wise. Microsoft running Nokia was supposed to mean faster integration and faster releases, but we've only seen firings and cancellations so far. Pre-acquisition, we had two sources of leaks or information, now it's just one, and only the bad news seems to be leaking.

What you should take from all this is: if you can wait a more for the HTC device, wait for it. If you don't care about your device seeming outdated by Q1 2015, (it's still the same device) go for the 930/Icon. If you can hold out for a long time, then you might get something great from Microsoft in Q1.

These are your options, flagship-wise. But you have the option of walking away from WP. It's a great platform, but it's not an easy life. You have chosen a difficult path for yourself... lol... check out the forums.. they're filled with love, anger, hurt, disappointment, impatience, rage, cannibalism and hate. It's like being with a gorgeous, but intolerable woman. Many ask themselves daily if it's worth it... it is, but not for everyone.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
From 1020 to 520 !!!He asks for a high end devices.
I suggest Lumia 930 the screen is big not large size, great camera and capabilities......

I added the 520, as stated, in case he wanted to start with windows but Wait to shell out any real money until the new flagships come out. Try reading. That was the only purpose obviously the 520 is not on the same level as the others it is a budget phone but rums the os fine.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any high end model specifically to suggest but, whatever you do, get a Nokia! Best OEM app support, most tools (eg Nokia Software Recovery Tool), etc.

xjjon

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I think I will wait for the next flagship device from Nokia or Microsoft. Maybe HTC if it is good. I've had two HTC phones before and my experiences have been mixed. Hopefully my current galaxy S3 will hold out until then.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I think I will wait for the next flagship device from Nokia or Microsoft. Maybe HTC if it is good. I've had two HTC phones before and my experiences have been mixed. Hopefully my current galaxy S3 will hold out until then.

I have an HTC. It's a great phone in itself but HTC's support is aweful. Their apps are not supported and not even updated for 8.1 and, according to someone here who claims to have gotten an email from HTC, they're not planning on getting us 8.1 soon : http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8x/296649-sent-mail-htc-support-their-reply.html

My next phone is surely to be a Nokia. They have all the better software, more features (for example Folders, glance, etc.)

Not looking to sell you anything obviously but this is the "lesson" I've learned after a year and a half :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa