Ford Sync issues with 8.1?

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone else had Bluetooth voice quality issues with 8.1 and the Sync system? Microsoft eventually fixed 8.0 to the point where it was usable with the Sync system in my Explorer, but it seems like after upgrading to 8.1 I have voice recognition issues when the phone is connected to the Sync system.

Simple things "yes/no/etc" seem to be picked up properly, but I can do a voice search with Cortana directly using the mic on the phone and have it picked up fine. Doing that same voice search via the Sync system ends up with garbled text. As an example, yesterday I was driving and said "directions to Sequim Washington", which was translated to "hot erections to swim Washington", which was fairly embarrassing.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
You don't mention what model phone you have, but peeking at your profile and given the number of times you've posted to the 920 forum, I'm going to give you stats for the 920. If you are using a different phone, click the link to see what SYNC can do with your phone.

According to the Ford SYNC website ( SYNC and Phone Compatibility | SYNC Support | MyFord Touch | Ford.com - select your phone, then click the VIEW DETAILS link to the right), your problem is with your car.

Nokia Lumia 920
Manufacturer: Nokia
Carrier: AT&T
OS/Firm ware: 1232.5962.1314.0001 (weird that they list OS/Firmware together. I guess that's an Apple thing)
Date tested: 4/8/14

Confirmed Features*
Automatic Phonebook Download - Yes
Bluetooth Audio Streaming - NO
Caller ID - Yes
Call History Download - Yes
Join Calls - Yes
Phone Tethering - NO
Photo ID - Yes
SMS Text Messaging - NO
Transfer to Privacy - Yes

*This device supports most basic SYNC features and is able to connect to SYNC and make, and receive hands-free calls.

All Nokia phones have limited functionality with SYNC.

Notice that SMS Text Messaging (and therefore, I'm assuming speech-to-text recognition which is what Cortana does as she converts what you say into driving instructions or a web search) is not supported by the 920.

What speech recognition functionality did you have working with 8.0?

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
You don't mention what model phone you have, but peeking at your profile and given the number of times you've posted to the 920 forum, I'm going to give you stats for the 920. If you are using a different phone, click the link to see what SYNC can do with your phone.

According to the Ford SYNC website ( SYNC and Phone Compatibility | SYNC Support | MyFord Touch | Ford.com - select your phone, then click the VIEW DETAILS link to the right), your problem is with your car.

Nokia Lumia 920
Manufacturer: Nokia
Carrier: AT&T
OS/Firm ware: 1232.5962.1314.0001 (weird that they list OS/Firmware together. I guess that's an Apple thing)
Date tested: 4/8/14

Confirmed Features*
Automatic Phonebook Download - Yes
Bluetooth Audio Streaming - NO
Caller ID - Yes
Call History Download - Yes
Join Calls - Yes
Phone Tethering - NO
Photo ID - Yes
SMS Text Messaging - NO
Transfer to Privacy - Yes

*This device supports most basic SYNC features and is able to connect to SYNC and make, and receive hands-free calls.

All Nokia phones have limited functionality with SYNC.

Notice that SMS Text Messaging (and therefore, I'm assuming speech-to-text recognition which is what Cortana does as she converts what you say into driving instructions or a web search) is not supported by the 920.

What speech recognition functionality did you have working with 8.0?

That website appears to be incorrect, Bluetooth audio does work, as does SMS text messaging (although it may be Cortana brokering that). It appears that since upgrading to 8.1 that there's issues with the actual voice quality over Bluetooth that cause Cortana to not be able to translate text to speech properly that don't exist if I just use the phones mics. This was not an issue with 8.0, the sync software hasn't changed recently and my wife's iPhone continues to work just fine.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
That website appears to be incorrect, Bluetooth audio does work, as does SMS text messaging (although it may be Cortana brokering that). It appears that since upgrading to 8.1 that there's issues with the actual voice quality over Bluetooth that cause Cortana to not be able to translate text to speech properly that don't exist if I just use the phones mics. This was not an issue with 8.0, the sync software hasn't changed recently and my wife's iPhone continues to work just fine.

From what I understand about Cortana, she is still in beta, still developing her vocabulary and understanding of speech patterns. I'm not going back to the SYNC website to check it (their scripting didn't play well with a secured browser), but I'm guessing that iPhones are fully supported? It seems most automakers are bending over backwards to accommodate iPhone users.

fx45guy

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
My father-in-law claims that after updating to the developer preview 8.1 Sync will no longer offer to read text messages out loud. Anybody else have this issue?

neonjngl

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Since upgrading to 8.1 I have lost text to speech. Tried everything I could think of. Incidentally, if I delete and re-pair the phone it works. ...once.
Thoughts?

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue but then realized it's because I was starting to speak too soon and it was only catching part of it. Try this, delete your phone pairing. Check the box under bluetooth advanced that says connect another way or something similar. Pair your phone. Hold down the search button to launch active listening, BUT wait for the sound to come over your speakers. This can take a few seconds depending on your head unit. If you hear it, THEN speak your stuff and it should work. Alternatively if you are fully updated on the developer preview you should be able to launch your voice activation from your head unit/steering wheel button by saying "Call Cortana" then waiting for the chime, then speaking just as if you launched via the phone. That only works on 8.1.1 I think, not 8.1.

If it won't read text messages aloud to you, go back under speech settings and make sure it's still turned on.

Mikefg1957

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue but then realized it's because I was starting to speak too soon and it was only catching part of it. Try this, delete your phone pairing. Check the box under bluetooth advanced that says connect another way or something similar. Pair your phone. Hold down the search button to launch active listening, BUT wait for the sound to come over your speakers. This can take a few seconds depending on your head unit. If you hear it, THEN speak your stuff and it should work. Alternatively if you are fully updated on the developer preview you should be able to launch your voice activation from your head unit/steering wheel button by saying "Call Cortana" then waiting for the chime, then speaking just as if you launched via the phone. That only works on 8.1.1 I think, not 8.1.

If it won't read text messages aloud to you, go back under speech settings and make sure it's still turned on.

When I use "Call Cortana" the call hangs up too fast. I find I really need to time the question or request before Cortana hangs up on me. Anyone else have this issue?

simplystew

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a 2013 Ford Focus and nokia lumia 830 with windows 8.1
firmware revision #: 02040.00005.14373.00001
harware revision #: 1.0.0.0

My phone will not recognise or connect with my car so I have no functionality in the car. It will connect with other bluetooth devices though but not my car.

anyone have any ideas why?

ricardp23

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a fusion with MFT when I got 8.1 through DP, I was having connectivity issues with my icon and Bluetooth. I tried deleting the pairing and re pairing and so far haven't had any more issues. Cortana also works fine as long as you don't have your app volume muted or too low.

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2013 explorer with MyTouch and have no issues. Running an icon with the latest DP (8.1.1). I added Cortana as a contact and tell Sync to "call Cortana". As soon as I hear the Cortana tone I can say "text [my contact name]" and Cortana's speech to text takes over. All of this happens over the sync system. My podcasts come through sync, music, etc. Calls are handled directly through Sync.

Jackson81

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
My Ford Sync was fine until recently I have a similar issue where the recognition is way, way off. I feel like its a Windows issue but I could be wrong.

My SMS' are read properly back to me however.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss