I refuse to go back to PROD from Developer's Preview to get Cyan

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Do I have to downgrade my DP 8.1 to get cyan update..

I got to know that cyan update is available for India. I am using DP 8.1 do I have to downgrade to windows 8 black to get cyan update please clarify. Cannot wait if i have to downgrade I am ready to.. By need clarification from people who did it.. I am from India using NL 1520

No, you don't need to downgrade to 8.0, only people who have enabled bitlocker encyption, enabled through corporate device policies (consumer devices do not) have to downgrade.

So, no need to worry, update your phone to latest Cyan firmware without worrying about this bitlocker corporate encryption issue.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I personally think the information here has been inconsistent. However, if the actual path for millions of USA Developer Preview users to go Cyan/Official 8.1 is to go back to 8.0 through some downgrade process, I have a HUGE bone to pick with Microsoft.

It's too technical a path. I cannot believe there is not a DP8.1 > Prod 8.1/Cyan smooth transition.

Who feels the same?

Red 1520, ATT

I appreciate your points, but just bite the bullet and downgrade. I have used the DP extensively, but this 'official upgrade' from WP8 is more complete and hangs together better. There are some added features: Brightness profiles, 5.1 Dolby sound recording etc...

I'm sure upgrading to Cyan from DP would probably give you these features anyway, but wouldn't it be better to have a 'pure' OS upgrade just in case???

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So... I've Read The Rules. By rights you should have gotten no response to your post. However, I'll help out anyway.

Sorry OP. I read the thread and as many others have pointed out - you are wrong.

For an outstanding example of the attitude you need to maintain when using things like the Preview for Developers program, please read and understand the following section from webOS Internals regarding testing feeds which is labeled, "Rules that you must agree to before using these feeds:" Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals If you can't maintain that attitude you have no business modifying any device whatsoever... Period. Game over. Stop. Proceed no further.

Conspiracy to gather testers? LOLz. Open call is more like it.

"There is a fix and I REFUSE to use it." OK. Doesn't hurt anyone but you. Certainly it is no skin off Microsoft's nose.

There is a $5.00 limit on the remedy you can seek from Microsoft if using the Preview for Developers is not a pleasant experience for you. You agreed to that limit when you installed the PfD App. I suggest you apply for that $5.00, await their determination of eligibility quietly and move on.

The rest is just useless and misguided kvetching.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So... I've Read The Rules. By rights you should have gotten no response to your post. However, I'll help out anyway.

Sorry OP. I read the thread and as many others have pointed out - you are wrong.

For an outstanding example of the attitude you need to maintain when using things like the Preview for Developers program, please read and understand the following section from webOS Internals regarding testing feeds which is labeled, "Rules that you must agree to before using these feeds:" Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals If you can't maintain that attitude you have no business modifying any device whatsoever... Period. Game over. Stop. Proceed no further.

Conspiracy to gather testers? LOLz. Open call is more like it.

"There is a fix and I REFUSE to use it." OK. Doesn't hurt anyone but you. Certainly it is no skin off Microsoft's nose.

There is a $5.00 limit on the remedy you can seek from Microsoft if using the Preview for Developers is not a pleasant experience for you. You agreed to that limit when you installed the PfD App. I suggest you apply for that $5.00, await their determination of eligibility quietly and move on.

The rest is just useless and misguided kvetching.

Ha ha ha.... Kvetching... Haven't heard that word in a while. Well played sir!!!!!

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I think this was a grand experiment by Microsoft. And I think it worked out to mutual benefit, but particularly to Microsoft's for all of the testers they gained. They have been doing this at least as far back as Windows 95. Windows 95 beta was near feature complete and very stable and it was free. And while the fact that you had to start fresh with the final build of Win95 may somewhat undermine the point of my original post, it does serve to illustrate this tactic has been used by Microsoft many times before to get hordes of testers.

Developers already have a channel. This was something completely different with the name Developer on it.

I was happy to help MS test this OS.

What better test than to release it into the wild for a few months, so as to truly test it to destruction. And it seems it was!!!
A lot better than to keep it in the lab and have a few bug testers screw around with it. Not the best way to test a major update!!!

I draw your attention to the Calender app debacle, and also rest my case!!!!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Never understood why people take part in betas and previews only to complain it is buggy, doesn't work properly etc etc. Also when you upgrade to the WP 8.1 DP it does warn you that can't roll back (although that is technically incorrect as you can reflash). This warning should say it all, you are doing this at your own risk.

Never the less it has been recommended you downgrade to get Cyan as the Cyan for the developer preview has been halted until they have a fix. So your other option is just wait until said fix is pushed out.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Mmmm.. Brightness profiles, Dolby 5.1 recording in videos (930 and 1520), Motion data, quicker OS etc...
Yeah, absolutely nothing at all...

Now, begone!!!!

And if you don't have one of those devices ie the majority of WP users, there's nothing of note. So again, nothing much to this update.

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Well as of now I don't have access to the Nokia recovery tool, for some certain reasons, so I will have to wait for MS to release the update to those running dp

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
... Also when you upgrade to the WP 8.1 DP it does warn you that can't roll back (although that is technically incorrect as you can reflash). This warning should say it all, you are doing this at your own risk.

Never the less it has been recommended you downgrade to get Cyan as the Cyan for the developer preview has been halted until they have a fix. So your other option is just wait until said fix is pushed out.

You have proven part of my point. "warn you that you can't roll back" which is true and then tell you that you must roll back to get the upgrade. Do you see the contradiction there?

I see a lot of conjecture that if we wait for the Bitlocker fix then we can have Cyan/8.1 without falling back to 8.0. But Microsoft hasn't stated this. If so, please point it out to me.

I'm willing to wait for facts. I came into this thread thinking everyone had to downgrade, I heard from (royal) you that only and at this moment folks with the Bitlocker in use have to.

I do appreciate the discussion.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
You have proven part of my point. "warn you that you can't roll back" which is true and then tell you that you must roll back to get the upgrade. Do you see the contradiction there?

I see a lot of conjecture that if we wait for the Bitlocker fix then we can have Cyan/8.1 without falling back to 8.0. But Microsoft hasn't stated this. If so, please point it out to me.

I'm willing to wait for facts. I came into this thread thinking everyone had to downgrade, I heard from (royal) you that only and at this moment folks with the Bitlocker in use have to.

I do appreciate the discussion.

Also bear in mind those disclaimers were written before the retail app was updated to officially provide the functionality.

Microsoft: Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developer users should return to normal software before Lumia Cyan | Windows Phone Central

Microsoft's statement from the article: "We are currently investigating the issue. We have paused delivery of the update to customers using the Preview for Developers, and will resume once a fix is in place. Customers whose phones have been affected should use the Nokia Software Recovery Tool to return your Lumia to a normal commercial software state before downloading the Lumia Cyan update."

Which means anyone with Preview can't get the Cyan update when it's released for their phone, until they resume updates for Preview users. And this is regardless of whether Bitlocker is in play or not, as it's easier for them to pause updates across the board then finding out which devices are affected and blocking their updates.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind people they only mention affected devices, not all devices as the headline implies, which I presume to be encrypted phones.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm not so sure.. I mean I've seen users on here with 1520s who were running the preview but couldn't get the update - they went back to 8.0 and it went through straight away.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I do get some of what you are saying. The bug doesn't affect me. But it is a great bit more technical to downgrade than it was to sign up for DP and download an app.

I'm not protesting on grounds that I don't have the technical skill to do so, as I have done it before. I am protesting on the grounds that it is a big technical leap from signing up for the DP for people that can't or would be intimidated to downgrade.

If you don't have the technical skills needed to correct issues like this when they arise (and chances are they WILL arise), then you shouldn't be installing the Developer Preview on your phone in the first place. It's called "Developer Preview" for a reason. You should KNOW what you are doing with a phone if you want to take a change with a Developer Preview and if something like this happens, accept it and move one. If you don't want to take the chance, then don't install the Developer Preview! Can't get any LESS technical than that!

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Ive had a major issue here after down grading
Initially many apps were on my sd card. After down grading and then upgrading my 1520 to the Cyan update all the apps that were initially on the SD card cannot be accessed any more. that means all my app data is gone. The phone says i need to delete the previous app data as it is from a different phone (which is actually not true) and need to re install the apps. This is the stupidest thing to ever do. I had quite alot of app data that i didn want to lose

Timtcee

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I think the solution is to wait for MS to resume the developer update. I know we all love the latest version of stuff but as some have pointed out, it can cause major problems if you downgrade.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to go back to 8.0 to update to Cyan. If you have bitlocker, then yes you have to go back, but there are plenty of people in the 925 thread who have updated from DP -> Cyan. So calm down guys...don't downgrade

thats what i thought the downgrade option was for myself. thats how to article read to me anyways

rocking23nf

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I personally think the information here has been inconsistent. However, if the actual path for hundreds of USA Developer Preview users to go Cyan/Official 8.1 is to go back to 8.0 through some downgrade process, I have a HUGE bone to pick with Microsoft.

It's too technical a path. I cannot believe there is not a DP8.1 > Prod 8.1/Cyan smooth transition.

Who feels the same?

Red 1520, ATT

I fixed your post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven