I refuse to go back to PROD from Developer's Preview to get Cyan

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
You corrected millions to hundreds because the actual issue only affects hundreds of people with Bitlocker enabled? Is that your point? I don't have the numbers, I think it's more like thousands as far as the Bitlocker issue but I admit I have not the facts.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't see why everyone is holding onto the Developer's Preview like it's the Holy Grail or something. What if the fix takes a while or it introduces other problems?
Just downgrade and be done with it. At least that way you can rule out any chance of further f**k ups....

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why everyone is holding onto the Developer's Preview like it's the Holy Grail or something. What if the fix takes a while or it introduces other problems?
Just downgrade and be done with it. At least that way you can rule out any chance of further f**k ups....

I assume its the same reason many people refused to do a hard reset after installing the developer preview, despite being a requirement to get a decent experience.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I assume its the same reason many people refused to do a hard reset after installing the developer preview, despite being a requirement to get a decent experience.

First time I've heard a hard reset was a requirement to get anything apart from troubleshoot a nasty bug.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
This is yet another thread showing that Microsoft were wrong to release the developer preview so widely. Average users simply don't understand that it's not final software; it will have bugs; and it won't work well enough for everyone. It was an interesting experiment, but I doubt whether Microsoft will do it again.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I personally think the information here has been inconsistent. However, if the actual path for millions of USA Developer Preview users to go Cyan/Official 8.1 is to go back to 8.0 through some downgrade process, I have a HUGE bone to pick with Microsoft.

It's too technical a path. I cannot believe there is not a DP8.1 > Prod 8.1/Cyan smooth transition.

Who feels the same?

Red 1520, ATT

Lets face the facts. YOU AIN'T A REAL DEVELOPER. You just got the Dev Preview so you could early upgrade to 8.1. So be quiet yeah?

JasonKruys

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I downgraded mine to get cyan more quickly. It was a pain in the ****. The downgrade and subsequent update was easy enough, and fairly quick. Restore from backup worked pretty well, but in all it took 5 hours to get all my apps back up and running with settings, usernames, passwords, and link my contacts again(contacts links should/could be part of the backup IMHO). Am I annoyed? Nope. After several months of updates and pre - release software, it is good to go back to a clean base. Indeed i am sure battery life has improved a bit. Things are a bit smoother, but that could just be cyan. It is like your windows pc - it needs a refresh/reinstall once in a while. People need to pay attention and understand what they are getting into. There was never any guarantee a roll back was not required, or that it wouldn't mess up your phone.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk (with free typos)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
First time I've heard a hard reset was a requirement to get anything apart from troubleshoot a nasty bug.

Maybe 'recommendation' would have been the better word than 'requirement', but if I had anything to say about it, I would have made a hard reset a mandatory part of the process. That might also have discouraged some who really should not have been involved in the first place.
90% of the complaints here on WPC due to issues with the developer preview could have been avoided, had that recommendation been followed. A lot if people suffered through battery issues, which could also have been avoided.

That recommendation came not from MS, but from the WPC community, after having gained some experience. There are tons of threads around where you'll find that suggestion.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Maybe 'recommendation' would have been the better word than 'requirement', but if I had anything to say about it, I would have made a hard reset a mandatory part of the process. That might also have discouraged some who really should not have been involved in the first place.

90% of the complaints here on WPC due to issues with the developer preview could have been avoided, had that recommendation been followed. A lot if people suffered through battery issues, which could also have been avoided.

That recommendation came not from MS, but from the WPC community, after having gained some experience. There are tons of threads around where you'll find that suggestion.

If you have to hard reset everytime an OS update comes out, doesnt that point to an inefficient/unoptimized OS? And tbh its the crappy state of the backup feature in WP that makes people think twice about hard resetting, even with 8.1 you're bound to lose some app data and that is always a pain to deal with. And also for the record, my 1020 has been running since I got it in October without a hard reset and I struggle to think of a problem I've had with the DP or any updates before it. So I'm not sure this piece of advice applies to everyone and every situation.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nothing runs as smooth as a clean install. I don't see how that can be argued against...

Know what you're doing, know how to backup/restore, know that some data gets sacrificed. Knuckle down, sack up, whatever. Nike that s&*t and just do it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If you have to hard reset everytime an OS update comes out, doesnt that point to an inefficient/unoptimized OS?

Not at all. At least you'd have to explain where you see the relationship between runtime efficiency and the requirement to be installed from a clean slate. I don't see any. Typically, software that must take into account a million different possible legacy configurations is a lot less efficient than a piece of software that mustn't.

And tbh its the crappy state of the backup feature in WP that makes people think twice about hard resetting, even with 8.1 you're bound to lose some app data and that is always a pain to deal with.

I'm not going to argue with that. IMHO MS should make backup functionality a mandatory part of the app validation process.

And also for the record, my 1020 has been running since I got it in October without a hard reset and I struggle to think of a problem I've had with the DP or any updates before it. So I'm not sure this piece of advice applies to everyone and every situation.

Also true, but just because it doesn't apply to you, doesn't mean it doesn't apply to anyone else. Some people got through fine, but there were hundreds on these boards who didn't, 90% of whom were well served by being told to finally do that hard reset.

A hard reset should have been a mandatory part of the installation process. To set expectations straight from the outset, to discourage those that shouldn't be participating in the first place, to exclude a whole host of issues that people experienced because they tried to skip that step, and to prevent the million cries of people with problems and the million responses along the lines of "it's beta software" (which it technically wasn't). The developer preview program would have a better rep today if that is how it would have been executed.

Also for the record, note that I'm not saying this is necessary for every little update. It wasn't necessary for any of the previous developer previews, and it likely won't be necessary for the next few, but it was for 8.1, and I wouldn't be surprised if WP9.0 is another candidate for the hard-reset approach. It depends on each update and what exactly is being changed.

Last edited:

jfern1960

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Its not an issue of only Bitlocker users being affected. Its the fact that MS has blocked the update to all Dev Preview users even if you don't have Bitlocker.

d3ad connection

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
If you have precious saved app data or game scores or anything you can't afford to lose, don't install pre-release software. It's that simple. Just wait until the actual updates come out. I don't play games on my phone and all of my music/etc is stored on the SD card so hard resets really don't affect me at all. I don't even use the backup feature because I love a fresh start, every time. I don't even use the upgrade function for new Windows versions on my PCs... the upgraded OS will never be as clean and efficient as a fresh install.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
If you have precious saved app data or game scores or anything you can't afford to lose, don't install pre-release software. It's that simple. Just wait until the actual updates come out. I don't play games on my phone and all of my music/etc is stored on the SD card so hard resets really don't affect me at all. I don't even use the backup feature because I love a fresh start, every time. I don't even use the upgrade function for new Windows versions on my PCs... the upgraded OS will never be as clean and efficient as a fresh install.

This sort of thinking comes with experience.

Most users do not realise that software installs of any kind need a planned approach. Arranging to put non critical data on the SD card (i.e. Music, Videos, Pictures etc) is a good way to make sure any problems with updates or fresh installs are kept to a minimum.
Obviously I'm not saying that screw ups can be avoided all the time, but minimising the risk is a mature way to approach it.

I feel a lot of problems are caused by the user's inexperience, even though a lot of 'em say, "I've been doing this for years!!!"
Of course, then it is the fault of WP or MS... Never the user.

Already there are complaints about Cyan... Battery life, phantom taps etc.... Funny how the majority of users of users have not experienced this, and is difficult to reproduce. If these 'bugs' could be repeated time after time, I agree there may be a need for 'fixes'.

Often, I have found that the majority of problems are caused by the idiots in front of the keyboard or touch screen!!

I say, if you want to stay with the DP, be my guest. Hopefully Cyan never makes it's way to you and you are stuck with a 'half' a phone..... May you both be happy!!!!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I do get some of what you are saying. The bug doesn't affect me. But it is a great bit more technical to downgrade than it was to sign up for DP and download an app.

I'm not protesting on grounds that I don't have the technical skill to do so, as I have done it before. I am protesting on the grounds that it is a big technical leap from signing up for the DP for people that can't or would be intimidated to downgrade.
Pardon me fearless leader. This is about someone else and not you?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion