I refuse to go back to PROD from Developer's Preview to get Cyan

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Going back to 8.0 was a peace of cake and updating to Cyan as well. It took me a little over a hour for everything to get done, the good thing is if you back up before doing all these, it will keep your layout intact with your apps in place. The same way we have it in DP.

ngochai ho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
hi guys, with lumia 625 in Vietnam, after upgraded from windowd 8 to windows 8.1 and lumia cyan, still need to setting developer of preview to finish. thats true!

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Going back to 8.0 was a peace of cake and updating to Cyan as well. It took me a little over a hour for everything to get done, the good thing is if you back up before doing all these, it will keep your layout intact with your apps in place. The same way we have it in DP.

Sure, the start screen layout is one important thing. But I'd rather have the year's worth of app data since I got my phone instead.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I personally think the information here has been inconsistent. However, if the actual path for millions of USA Developer Preview users to go Cyan/Official 8.1 is to go back to 8.0 through some downgrade process, I have a HUGE bone to pick with Microsoft.

It's too technical a path. I cannot believe there is not a DP8.1 > Prod 8.1/Cyan smooth transition.

Who feels the same?

Red 1520, ATT

I did it. It was easy. I've been using Cyan since the day it was officially released. Quit being a crybaby.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I personally think the information here has been inconsistent. However, if the actual path for millions of USA Developer Preview users to go Cyan/Official 8.1 is to go back to 8.0 through some downgrade process, I have a HUGE bone to pick with Microsoft.

It's too technical a path. I cannot believe there is not a DP8.1 > Prod 8.1/Cyan smooth transition.

Who feels the same?

Red 1520, ATT

Step 1, install application.
Step 2, run application.
Step 3, plug phone in.
Step 4, press big install button.

That's about it. And also, it's not just US users, it's all preview users with Lumias that are affected. The reason for it is because doing the update when Bitlocker is turned on totally borks the phone after the update and the only way to fix it is to use the recovery tool to downgrade and then apply the update in the usual way. When this issue came to light they suspended the update for all Lumia devices (regardless of whether they are affected or not) with the preview until they can fix the issue. The alternative is to wait it out.

For the bulk of users (ie normal everyday people) who have no clue about what the dev preview is, or want to mess with their phones - then the update procedure is very straightforward - check for updates, updates found, install. You can't get a smoother transition than that.

When you use software designated as "preview" or "beta" on live devices (such as your main phone) then you accept the consequences of what happens if stuff goes wrong. You make a conscious decision to put your phone into that situation - that's why there are tonnes of disclaimers for such software saying "don't use on production (or live) hardware unless you know and accept the risks", and "we will not be held liable for any damage/data loss caused by you using this software". By installing and using beta/preview software, you waive all rights to whinging, moaning and complaining when something goes wrong.

masaga91

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hahahaha I'm too lazy, I'll wait till they release the bug fix for bitlocker and update to cyan, I have no hurry, I can,live with the DP

bkeran

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
How do you go about doing this? It doesn't give me an option to update when I click on updates available inside settings. I'm using a 925 with D.P

Augustine_1

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft just announced WP8.1 GDR1 Update or Update 1 (preview for developers) for next week. Will this include the Cyan update? I guess what I'm asking is instead of downgrading to Black/WP8 and then getting the Cyan/WP8.1 update could we simply wait for the WP8.1 GDR1 Update and would this include all the features from the Cyan update (updated camera algorithms etc.)?

Current phone: Lumia 920 with Black/WP8.1 PD

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
It's a very good question,
I'm particularly interested in the Bluetooth situation. Non-cyan DP8.1 cannot sync with the likes of Fitbit, where as Cyan can. Will GDR1 fix this.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft just announced WP8.1 GDR1 Update or Update 1 (preview for developers) for next week. Will this include the Cyan update? I guess what I'm asking is instead of downgrading to Black/WP8 and then getting the Cyan/WP8.1 update could we simply wait for the WP8.1 GDR1 Update and would this include all the features from the Cyan update (updated camera algorithms etc.)?

from what im understanding is that its just the gdr preview you can get. as for cyan you will still have to wait until it is released for your carrier.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

After the issue that caused the cyan update to be halted for DP devices I would personally think twice before installing yet another update to the dev preview. At the very least Microsoft should release a fix first for the current issue, what if the gdr1 update makes things worse then you're left waiting even longer for cyan or any future firmware updates?

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
After the issue that caused the cyan update to be halted for DP devices I would personally think twice before installing yet another update to the dev preview. At the very least Microsoft should release a fix first for the current issue, what if the gdr1 update makes things worse then you're left waiting even longer for cyan or any future firmware updates?

thats what im waiting on. i'm not downgrading as i know alot of my apps werent updated to take advantage of the backup feature and i dont want to loose all my data again. part of me wants to think they should be releasing a fix soon as the preview is going to be next week for the bitlocker issue. just wishful thinking on my part though

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm staying on DP and will wait for the fix. But it is rather odd that those of us that decide to go DP to get 8.1 features first have to wait til last to get the official version!
Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Wondering what's taking so long to get the bitlocker issue fixed. I regret to downgrade DP8.1 to WP8 to be able to get Cyan. I want to update my phone OTA as usual. Come on MS, fix the issue!!!!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft just announced WP8.1 GDR1 Update or Update 1 (preview for developers) for next week. Will this include the Cyan update?

No. Cyan is the firmware update. WP8.1 and the GDR's are OS updates. Cyan only sometimes looks like an OS update, because WP8.1 is installed simultaneously, if its not already on your phone, but the opposite is not true. OS updates never include firmware.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Wondering what's taking so long to get the bitlocker issue fixed. I regret to downgrade DP8.1 to WP8 to be able to get Cyan. I want to update my phone OTA as usual. Come on MS, fix the issue!!!!
According to Joe Belfiore from a tweet that he sent. Users on Developer Preview will receive next week WP8.1 GDR1

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
According to Joe Belfiore from a tweet that he sent. Users on Developer Preview will receive next week WP8.1 GDR1

That isn't related to the Cyan update issue, so bears no relevance. Unless of course, he explicitly stated that the issue is fixed in GDR1...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro