I refuse to go back to PROD from Developer's Preview to get Cyan

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Even I am a little confused with this one...do I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO downgrade or is it an option we have? Also, are we going to get Cyan straightaway or it's not even out yet?

Sent from iCeborg's iPad.

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
If you have DP 8.1 you must wait for Microsoft to offer a path from there to PROD 8.1 and Cyan. If you don't want to wait, you need to downgrade.

Still filling in usernames and passwords from my downgrade and upgrade...PITA.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion... I am not concerned about having to Down-Grade as much as the reason why... I am so sick of hearing about Bitlocker... MS is holding out their update to 8.1 for DP because of a stupid little app? so because of that program which I never use I have to make the decision to Down-Grade before I can Up-Grade!!?? Sounds Bass-Ackwards to me... I love MS and use them exclusively but come on MS you can do better than that. Also for the record, Satya Nadella is moving MS in a bad direction... I feel his is like the Obama of MS...

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion... I am not concerned about having to Down-Grade as much as the reason why... I am so sick of hearing about Bitlocker... MS is holding out their update to 8.1 for DP because of a stupid little app? so because of that program which I never use I have to make the decision to Down-Grade before I can Up-Grade!!?? Sounds Bass-Ackwards to me... I love MS and use them exclusively but come on MS you can do better than that. Also for the record, Satya Nadella is moving MS in a bad direction... I feel his is like the Obama of MS...

You can always wait of course, then no downgrade will be necessary. The actual reason was because something in either the update process, or something in Cyan itself conflicted if Bitlocker was active when running the 8.1 Preview, so they took the easiest option and suspended access to the update for all Preview users (along with the preview programme itself) until they can fix it. It's easier to block all devices instead of individual ones (ie only the affected devices) - I mean the update service doesn't know if you are using Bitlocker or not.

Had they not, there would have been a lot of bricked phones out there and a massive complaint issue to deal with, and could possibly have stopped the Cyan update for every single WP8 user, as well as those on the preview - until they found a fix.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
BitLocker and Lumia Cyan causing issues for Windows Phones running Preview for Developers | Windows Phone Central

So if probably 1% of DP users have Bitlocker installed and there is a fix for it... they are holding up all others who have installed DP? After the first problems occurred they should have only put out a warning for Bitlocker users and not hold up the whole rollout process. It is not even a problem... So it seems you can fix the install by using Nokia recovery so again they are holding up the whole roll-out because of a few people...

Here is a snippet from the above link:
[SNIP]
The BitLocker encryption appears to cause the smartphone to hang on boot, making it unusable. All that's presented to the user is a message to connect the device to a PC. Luckily, there's a solution, but it requires a full reset the Windows Phone using Nokia's software suite
[SNIP]

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
BitLocker and Lumia Cyan causing issues for Windows Phones running Preview for Developers | Windows Phone Central

So if probably 1% of DP users have Bitlocker installed and there is a fix for it... they are holding up all others who have installed DP? After the first problems occurred they should have only put out a warning for Bitlocker users and not hold up the whole rollout process. It is not even a problem... So it seems you can fix the install by using Nokia recovery so again they are holding up the whole roll-out because of a few people...

Here is a snippet from the above link:
[SNIP]
The BitLocker encryption appears to cause the smartphone to hang on boot, making it unusable. All that's presented to the user is a message to connect the device to a PC. Luckily, there's a solution, but it requires a full reset the Windows Phone using Nokia's software suite
[SNIP]

It's a workaround - it sidesteps the problem, which is why preview users can't update to Cyan until MS work out exactly what's causing the problem and getting it fixed to preview users can update to Cyan like non-preview users can.

I get where you're coming from though - if they set the update servers to check for a Bitlocker=1 in the phone's config then they could block just those specific users. I don't think it would be difficult but I don't think the OS is configured to send such information anywhere, so that trick probably can't be implemented. Would make a lot of people very happy it did though!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If they set the update servers to check for a Bitlocker=1 in the phone's config then they could block just those specific users. I don't think it would be difficult...

If that were possible, MS would definitely already have gone down that route. IMHO it's not really surprising that MS doesn't intend for that kind of information to be remotely detectable over a network.

So if probably 1% of DP users have Bitlocker installed and there is a fix for it... they are holding up all others who have installed DP? After the first problems occurred they should have only put out a warning for Bitlocker users and not hold up the whole rollout process.

How many people with an employer provided WP device even know whether BitLocker is activated on their phone, or what that even is? How many of those folks would have decided to just ignore such a BitLocker warning and click whatever button was necessary, to get the update process started, just because they really wanted WP8.1 NOW (I'd wager a majority)? How would you have judged that update policy if the tables were turned, and MS decided it is alright to potentially brick your phone, because you belonged to a minority of people using a certain feature that most do not? Even if you would have been fine with that, which I doubt, I'm sure the yelling and screaming would have been much worse than it is now... and rightly so IMHO.

Appwalla

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
The whole affair feel just sloppy to me. How is it possible that no one (internal tests) ran into the bitlocker issue before updates are approved to rollout? They are a software company and do test before pushing out updates - right?

Personally I don't care about software being updated from 8.1 DP to 8.1 Prod. I want an update that turns my Bluetooth Low Energy back on - something they deliberately disabled in 8.1 DP. (apparently no one tested the DP with BLE before rolling it out ). This is July of 2014. This year has been all about BLE devices, sensors, watches, beacons etc. WP is the only mobile OS out there that is being left out from any of the 3rd party device development. Fans and developers cannot make this OS successful, if Microsoft does not care enough. If they continue to believe WP OS is "good enough" - what we think won't matter.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
How many people with an employer provided WP device even know whether BitLocker is activated on their phone, or what that even is? How many of those folks would have decided to just ignore such a BitLocker warning and click whatever button was necessary, to get the update process started, just because they really wanted WP8.1 NOW (I'd wager a majority)? How would you have judged that update policy if the tables were turned, and MS decided it is alright to potentially brick your phone, because you belonged to a minority of people using a certain feature that most do not? Even if you would have been fine with that, which I doubt, I'm sure the yelling and screaming would have been much worse than it is now... and rightly so IMHO.

Well if your a company you would not be to smart to have installed the DP anyway so that would have been their fault whether Bitlocker was enabled or not. Also updating with Bitlocker does not brick your phone (read snippet in my last post). All that happens is that people with bitlocker have to reset their phone back to factory settings... That is exactly what they are telling us to do is use the Nokia restore tool... So in effect they are forcing us to roll back to 8.0 and the few that had bitlocker wont have to... either way if they released the update now it would allow almost everyone (accept those with bitlocker), to update to 8.1/Cyan without any problems... still seems MS is catering to a few users and not the majority.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Now don't throw bricks at me for asking this but what happens when Apple rolls out Dev Beta and then the actual version? I don't think you are asked to downgrade. Apple doesn't want you to peek behind the curtain of the lovely UI OS design..

EDIT: And from what I gather, I DON'T need to downgrade yet. Because they are making a way for all those who have downloaded and installed a Dev Preview (there are a lot BTW).

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
The only thing is apple doesn't have to wait for carrier approval. Microsoft can't afford to hold an update for another update.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
EDIT: And from what I gather, I DON'T need to downgrade yet. Because they are making a way for all those who have downloaded and installed a Dev Preview (there are a lot BTW).

That was my original point... The rollout was just fine for me as it was and for everyone who did not have bitlocker enabled (probably 90+%). They chose to halt the 8.1 upgrade until they fixed the BL issue. Even though it was not really an issue just and inconvenience. If I were to revert back to 8.0 what guarantee is there that it will even get the 8.1/Cyan update. There is none, so I would be SOL for all that trouble.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I personally think the information here has been inconsistent. However, if the actual path for millions of USA Developer Preview users to go Cyan/Official 8.1 is to go back to 8.0 through some downgrade process, I have a HUGE bone to pick with Microsoft.

It's too technical a path. I cannot believe there is not a DP8.1 > Prod 8.1/Cyan smooth transition.

Who feels the same?

Red 1520, ATT
Nonsense.
Uninstalled via NSU and reinstalled with Cyan within half an hour. A child could do it. In fact a child helped me do it. I let my son press all the buttons.

"Too technical"? You installed a developer preview didn't you?

People have it too bloody easy these days. Try growing up with dial-up modems, three TV channels and NO mobile phones.

blazerailerx

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm taking a wait and see approach coz internet is too expensive where I'm at. Can't afford to downgrade and update again. Does anyone know how much data it'll take to download the recovery tool and complete the whole recovery process?

Ickis99

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Nonsense.
Uninstalled via NSU and reinstalled with Cyan within half an hour. A child could do it. In fact a child helped me do it. I let my son press all the buttons.

"Too technical"? You installed a developer preview didn't you?

People have it too bloody easy these days. Try growing up with dial-up modems, three TV channels and NO mobile phones.

I think the real problem here is not going back via NSU but the fact that there is still no real backup Feature in WP. For my part i will wait and see if MS eventually provides a fix for the Bitlocker Issue and a direct update path from DP to 8.1/Cyan.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I think the real problem here is not going back via NSU but the fact that there is still no real backup Feature in WP. For my part i will wait and see if MS eventually provides a fix for the Bitlocker Issue and a direct update path from DP to 8.1/Cyan.
Backup how? Everything I had on my DP was backed up.

Ickis99

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Last time i did it, all the Data from Third-Party Apps was missing. I have overlooked that app-data is now included in Wp8.1 backups. If this really works (keeping Logins, game progress data, etc...), then yes, flashing with NSU should not be an issue.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Last time i did it, all the Data from Third-Party Apps was missing. I have overlooked that app-data is now included in Wp8.1 backups. If this really works (keeping Logins, game progress data, etc...), then yes, flashing with NSU should not be an issue.

It also depends if the app/game supports it - if it hasn't been written to take advantage of the feature, then it will be lost with a reset.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Also updating with Bitlocker does not brick your phone (read snippet in my last post). All that happens is that people with bitlocker have to reset their phone back to factory settings... That is exactly what they are telling us to do is use the Nokia restore tool... So in effect they are forcing us to roll back to 8.0 and the few that had bitlocker wont have to...

Yes, the devices aren't bricked, but without doing anything peculiar, those folks are left with a device that fails to boot. Completely unusable.
Worse, without fault of their own, they are put into that situation without warning, and likely without having had the opportunity to backup, save or otherwise prepare for such an event.

That is completely different from you who have the choice to wait, or go through that downgrade procedure in a deliberate fashion, while being well aware of what you are doing.

Even if there are only a few ten thousand people who'd suffer this situation, it's just not right to put them in to it for the sake of those who want Cyan now.

If you want to blame MS for making the mistake in the first place, be my guest. I won't get in the way of that. Considering the mistake was made however, this is the right course of action.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
damn, its a DP. A D should have the skill, or at least anyone that tries to be a D to use a DP.

Your complain is like a kid that doesn't want to go to school or finish his peas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium