Windows 8 = Garbage, please help me install 7

cameroncr95

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so before talking me out of it or trying to beg me to remain on 8, please don't, because I WANT 7.

My laptop is an Asus K55N, and sadly, it has secure boot and I find no way to disable it. This means it will refuse to let me install 7. My problem with 8 is for whatever reason, despite being designed for 8, 8 is a buggy unstable mess that keeps crashing. I've restored once and same problem, and I know its not the laptop because my mothers laptop, same exact model, is doing the same.

I have a Windows 7 disc around and would like to install it. My problem is this:

1. Secure Boot
2. My PC Mfg website has drivers ONLY for Windows 8. This means that Windows 7 will be missing 2 essential drivers: My Wifi and Display, which both only have 8 drivers.

Now I am curious what my options are here. I don't want to screw anything up, as I have absolutely no cash and the PC is out of warranty.
So... any help would be extremely appreciated if you can help me remove this mess called Windows 8 so I can never look back.

Neilansh

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I think your options are to return the laptop as you cannot download drivers or contact Asus that you want windows 7. But in windows 8.1 Microsoft don't force you to use modern UI. You can directly go to desktop at startup or install software that bring back traditional start menu.

cameroncr95

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I think your options are to return the laptop as you cannot download drivers or contact Asus that you want windows 7. But in windows 8.1 Microsoft don't force you to use modern UI. You can directly go to desktop at startup or install software that bring back traditional start menu.

Don't take this the wrong way as I am not intending to be rude, but I clearly said its out of warranty and very likely Asus will not let me exchange. it.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Do you have 8 or 8.1? 8.1 is a free upgrade for 8 owners, available in the Windows Store.

If you have 8.1, wait. I just read today that Update 2 is coming and will disable the start screen on all laptop and desktop PCs that do not have touch support.

Rumor: Windows 8.1 Update 2 coming August 12—sans Start menu - The Tech Report

As for those drivers, go to Device Manager in the control panel and identify your display and WiFi adapters. Go to the manufacturers' websites and see if they have Windows 7 drivers. Download them, double-click to decompress them, then burn to CD the entire folder to which they were extracted so you can install them during the 7 installation process.

Be aware that Windows 7 is scheduled for end of life in January. Make sure you install Service Pack 1 to receive updates until then. Service pack support ended April 9, 2013 and after January 2015, there will be no support for Windows 7 (i.e., security updates, etc.). This applies to consumer products such as Windows 7 Home. Businesses that purchased Windows 7 through volume licensing will receive support until 2020.

Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Windows Help

There is a link at the end of this page that is very important to you. It has to do with downgrade licensing. I say it's important because your computer may not authenticate and stop working if your Windows 7 product key was used on a different machine. Speaking of which, do you have the product key for that Windows 7 disk? It will not be the same code as the sticker on your Asus if your Asus came with 8 installed.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it. Just trying to prep you for the worst. I've downgraded a couple of machines and it was extremely aggravating trying to get the drivers and everything else working.

cameroncr95

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I simply want 7. That is all I want. I am not wanting 8, nor 8.1. The start menu or metro is not my problem.
I also don't care if 7 is ending support. I stuck with XP for years and 2 of my servers run it.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I simply want 7. That is all I want. I am not wanting 8, nor 8.1. The start menu or metro is not my problem.
I also don't care if 7 is ending support. I stuck with XP for years and 2 of my servers run it.

Then I suggest you read the complete post, get the drivers, have the product key handy, and have at it.

cameroncr95

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I read it thanks. I have my own product key, Windows 7 Professional and its sealed. Its never been installed, so it should work.
Since I have 2 Partitions I might give it a go and install it on the other partition just as a test. If I cant get the drivers Ill remove it.

mesamit

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
go to bios ...you might find option to disable secure boot there....also you can check for bios update for your laptop....which may give you option to disable secure boot....

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Do you know if going back to W7 will fix the problem? If this is an issue that plagues two of the same computers, it may be the units themselves that are insufficient. That what it sounds like to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12