Windows phones cannot render web pages properly

decaf19

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
He's right though, any source that can be edited by anyone isn't reliable. There's a reason why Colleges and Universities don't allow Wikipedia to be used as a source for dissertations.

Okay allow me to go to the source that was cited....its tomshardware which I use frequently for computer related questions and troubleshooting...but because its a ".com" and not ".org" that makes it unreliable too right?

That's the whole point Wikipedia requires sources to make changes...are we done with how genuine the information is?

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Okay allow me to go to the source that was cited....its tomshardware which I use frequently for computer related questions and troubleshooting...but because its a ".com" and not ".org" that makes it unreliable too right?

That's the whole point Wikipedia requires sources to make changes...are we done with how genuine the information is?

The point is, you quoted Wikipedia as your only source. Had you backed it up with tomshardware site, or another legitimate source of information then there would be no problem.

And with that, I'm done with feeding...

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I think ill make a test called the decaf test....if a browser can load the word "congrats" it passes with 100/100 and if it doesn't load it, it will pass with a 100/100....i hope people use my test as an argument for why their browser is better...

That's the point, ALL browser "tests" and "benchmarks" are BS even ACID3. The best test of the capabilities of a web browser is whether it renders websites correctly, however "fixing" a browser won't fix a badly coded website.

decaf19

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
The point is, you quoted Wikipedia as your only source. Had you backed it up with tomshardware site, or another legitimate source of information then there would be no problem.

And with that, I'm done with feeding...

Lol, take care sorry your Information wasn't backed up by the internet's info.

decaf19

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
That's the point, ALL browser "tests" and "benchmarks" are BS even ACID3. The best test of the capabilities of a web browser is whether it renders websites correctly, however "fixing" a browser won't fix a badly coded website.

Didn't you agree with the other guy who said it would be better to test using a benchmark that's uses standards such as acid?
Then I pointed out the flaw in the test, and your issue with the html5 test is that it not only tests standards accepted so far but ones in "beta" per se in the language? I will admit its geared towards making chrome look better because I believe a google developer helped make the test :p

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Google implements their assumption to try and force the W3Cs hand. If I were the W3C I wouldn't take Google's attempts to dictate the standard lightly.

These posts show a lack of understanding of how web specifications work. Before a spec can complete its process though W3C, there need to be two compatible implementations. If no one implements "work in progress" standards, they will *never* get approved. And what should Google do but implement "their interpretation" of the standard?

Of course, implementing work in progress standards does influence those standards; largely in a positive way by demonstrating what works, finding problems, etc. It's a part of the process. All browser companies can take part if they choose to.

Last edited:

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
It is more a problem with developers not using standards than a problem with IE.
It's more of a problem with IE being the most annoying browser to develop for than developers themselves. Developers are using the standards. The problem is that IE hasn't caught up to the new standards. While other browsers have near full HTML5 support, IE barely supports anything. Due to this, a lot of developers have disregarded IE support. If it works, great. If not, hurry up Microsoft and add support for the things we're using that work in every other browser. That's kind of the mindset we have regarding IE.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It's more of a problem with IE being the most annoying browser to develop for than developers themselves. Developers are using the standards. The problem is that IE hasn't caught up to the new standards. While other browsers have near full HTML5 support, IE barely supports anything. Due to this, a lot of developers have disregarded IE support. If it works, great. If not, hurry up Microsoft and add support for the things we're using that work in every other browser. That's kind of the mindset we have regarding IE.

*sigh* There has always been a problem with some developers and discipline, code management, version control, documentation, and knowing when to use something in production vs development. So called web developers seems to have an abnormally high number of these types of developers, though.

Those developers are coding to webkit not the standards. Heck HTML5 hasn't been standardized - by the strictest sense it shouldn't even be used in production sites at all. But there is a part of the standard that has somewhat stabilized and might be ok to use under strict control and with the understanding that it very much is use at your own risk.

But many Web Developers don't want to understand this. I doubt many of them really understand how HTML, JavaScript, and CSS actually work and interact with each other. I just see way to many that coopt some lame open source library and then complain when it doesn't work perfectly in their environment.

In my experience, if you stick to published standards wherever possible (and it is possible a lot of places, HTML4 is rather capable) and only deviate in extreme cases into the experimental with a good fallback your websites will largely work across browsers the first time and every time. It's programming, not rocket science.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
These posts show a lack of understanding of how web specifications work. Before a spec can complete its process though W3C, there need to be two compatible implementations. If no one implements "work in progress" standards, they will *never* get approved. And what should Google do but implement "their interpretation" of the standard?

Of course, implementing work in progress standards does influence those standards; largely in a positive way by demonstrating what works, finding ambiguities, etc. It's a part of the process. All browser companies can take part if they choose to.

Yes, and such things are to be implemented with vendor prefixes before they are stable enough to be unprefixed. Google recently decided to unprefix everything, making Chrome their way or the highway. And if the W3C chooses the highway they risk breaking many websites using unprefixed code that have been coded to the Chrome way. This is how Google is trying to force their will on the W3C.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, and such things are to be implemented with vendor prefixes before they are stable enough to be unprefixed. Google recently decided to unprefix everything, making Chrome their way or the highway. And if the W3C chooses the highway they risk breaking many websites using unprefixed code that have been coded to the Chrome way. This is how Google is trying to force their will on the W3C.

Prefixes are at best a mixed blessing. See, for example, Blink and the end of vendor prefixes | NCZOnline . Whether they actually helped the situation is debatable. Chrome now allows at least some experimental features to be turned on and off in browser settings.

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes IE browser on WP8 is not as good as some say.My main problems with it are
1.When multiple tabs are open,switching to one of the other tabs reloads the page again.This does not happen in UCbrowser and its a very annoying problem.It wastes lots of data
2.IE is a data hog.It consumes data like its cake.There is no save data mode.UC browser has speed mode which is really good.
3.When using IE then opening some other app and going back to it reloads the page yet again.Again this does not happen in UC.
4.IE browser has lots of bugs.It crashes often,lots of web pages render badly or dont load at all,etc.
I dont know if MS resolved this in 8.1. We also need Opera Mini since that was my favourite browser on Android.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It is more a problem with web developers not using standards than a problem with IE.
This, in addition to the fact that some developers purposely make it difficult for various versions of IE to work properly, or not work at all on their sites, because you know IE-is-so-not-cool-anymore-and-like-MS-is-a-bad-guy.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
This, in addition to the fact that some developers purposely make it difficult for various versions of IE to work properly, or not work at all on their sites, because you know IE-is-so-not-cool-anymore-and-like-MS-is-a-bad-guy.

Do you have any evidence for that claim? It would seem pretty self defeating for any web developer to deliberately break their site on one browser with significant market share.

To be fair, I don't test my personal web apps on IE very often, as MS can't be bothered to release IE for Android, iOS or Linux, which I use for development and are the OSs I have easy access to at home. But these are projects for my own personal interest, and the small numbers of users don't generally use IE anyway.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Except Microsoft can't fix rendering issues if it's a problem with the site. It would be up to Facebook to fix the issues not Microsoft. Most people don't use the Facebook webpage anyway since the Facebook app is on WP.

It's not Facebook problem as on Android it works very well.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Firefox uses Gecko engine

Yes, that was exactly my point. Chrome, Safari and Opera with Webkit, and Firefox with Gecko work fine with virtually any modern website - even Microsoft's awful Sharepoint. It's only IE (which uses Trident) that I hear complaints about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon