Thinking about going back to WP7 from 8.1

Matt174e

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I used to have a Venue Pro and I loved it! But when it broke I got a WP8 and It's not nearly as good. Mainly because of Xbox Music. I keep hoping that it'll get better, but it just gets worse with every update. I love everything about the Zune software and I have a Zune/Xbox music pass. I'm just wondering about apps... I'm not really a heavy app user (If I was I'd have an Android) but are any new apps compatible with WP7?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
There are Apps that can give you access to the Music Hub, as its still hidden in 8.0. That wont help with Zune desktop though.

Matt174e

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Yes but even the older Xbox Music doesn't come close to Zune. And the desktop software is so much better than Xbox musics intrusive Windows 8 app.

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If you use the web interface to the Store in your desktop browser, you can see which versions of WP an app is compatible with in the left sidebar. You could check some of the stuff you use and the "top apps" to get an idea whether it would work out for you. And as was just mentioned, you'd need to buy a WP7 phone off of eBay or something because your current one can't be downgraded.

Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Plazma1

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I turn my dvp on all the time. 7.8 running on it still beats 8.1

Email threads work better. Zune is prettier. And I could reverse tether.

Loved it

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
though there are numerous things wp7 does better than 8.1
overall its not worth ditching 8.1(or 8)
best is to keep two phones , a wp7 and wp8.1 device so you get the best of both

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Omg ew. While a few things may be done better onwp7, I am way too spoiled by the new features on 8.1, even if they are half baked, to go back to the basicness of wp7. Wp7 feels like a step above a feature phone.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
i will stick with windows 7.8 due to the music player and hardware keyboard.

and you can get them cheap from ebay and amazon.

later

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
All this romanticism about Zune.

It was pretty, but basically not great. So, it could sync with WP7... That was about it. It's gone, dead. Forget it and move on....
MS will finally sort out XB Music Player, and they will I'm sure.

KSilcox

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I used to have a Venue Pro and I loved it! But when it broke I got a WP8 and It's not nearly as good. Mainly because of Xbox Music. I keep hoping that it'll get better, but it just gets worse with every update. I love everything about the Zune software and I have a Zune/Xbox music pass. I'm just wondering about apps... I'm not really a heavy app user (If I was I'd have an Android) but are any new apps compatible with WP7?
Most new apps coming out will not be compatible with WP7. I don't think going back to WP7 would make you very happy, long term. Stick it out. They've already announced that Microsoft has heard your cries and is 'fixing' Xbox music hub.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
All this romanticism about Zune.

It was pretty, but basically not great. So, it could sync with WP7... That was about it. It's gone, dead. Forget it and move on....
MS will finally sort out XB Music Player, and they will I'm sure.

Because it's light years better than any current version of xbox music, or music app.

it will take YEARS for xbox music, and the apps to get even close to how good the ZUNE music player was.

if it even gets there.

i prefer something that works, compared to a non working utility or application, since i listen to a lot of music,
it's important to me.

later

TimboNJ

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I had to send in my lumia 521 in today for repair and I'm using my 710 in the meantime.......I'm loving how fast my 710 is compared to the newer operating system. :smile:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Wp7 feels like a step above a feature phone.

That would apply to WP8 as well then. There was barely a difference between the two, except kids corner that few care about. Having to decide between kids corner support on WP8 vs. much better music/radio support on WP7, should have made it clear that all the nerd rage about not being able to upgrade to WP8.0 was a bit premature. But alas...

I completely understand the OP.

Still, I definitely wouldn't spend money on a WP7 device at this point, unless you really want to carry around two devices. I still get the occasional update on my Lumia 800, but compared to WP8 it is pretty much dead.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I now use a Lumia 1020 that I updated to 8.1 on the 15th. The music app does suck, but I don't care much because a smartphone has always been my 4th, then 5th, 6th, and now 7th-favorite music player. The 1020 is primarily a phone/communicator, internet access tool, navigation aid, and a camera; and, it does these things beautifully, and all significantly better than with WP7.

HOWEVER, music is my passion, and Zune is still my primary music Collection tool/hub/nexus on a newer Windows 7 desktop; and, my Zune players still sync beautifully with it. I use windows explorer to drag-and-drop about 12GBs of owned music on the 1020, and I play it almost only when I plug it in conveniently in my cars. The rest of the storage is preserved for photo and video needs/tastes. I do keep a WP 7.5 Focus -one of the three original WP phones- as a backup and lending device, but I couldn't give up my 1020. In fact, I may never upgrade again.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
That would apply to WP8 as well then. There was barely a difference between the two, except kids corner that few care about. Having to decide between kids corner support on WP8 vs. much better music/radio support on WP7, should have made it clear that all the nerd rage about not being able to upgrade to WP8.0 was a bit premature. But alas...

I completely understand the OP.

Still, I definitely wouldn't spend money on a WP7 device at this point, unless you really want to carry around two devices. I still get the occasional update on my Lumia 800, but compared to WP8 it is pretty much dead.

Negative. My 1520 feels nothing like a feature phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte