Windows Phone 8.1 - Laggiest phone OS of 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Fyi, start screen lag happens on WP8 on my Lumia 525 too which even has 1GB RAM often when the internal storage is filled completely with cache. Creating space in internal storage often solves the problem.
I think it's unfair to call WP laggy when it is a more stable OS than android at least.

dj9928

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a 920 and did find a few slow downs on DP, I remember a time Android ran OK on modest hardware, then things got fancy, I see this happening now on WP, 8.1 is gonna run $hit on these cheap 512mb phones, the thing about WP was it was buttery smooth on low spec hardware, this is gonna change now. Ever use one of those cheap low spec android phones running ICS or Jellybean? its painful, this is whats gonna happen WP

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Guess what iOS 7 lags on older iPads and iPhones. There is a reason Apple is so hell-bent on getting people to upgrade to the newest hardware - because they can't seem to make iOS run more efficiently, thus necessitating a huge new spend. Why does Apple not get hell for this?

nkaufmann

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Guess what iOS 7 lags on older iPads and iPhones. There is a reason Apple is so hell-bent on getting people to upgrade to the newest hardware - because they can't seem to make iOS run more efficiently, thus necessitating a huge new spend. Why does Apple not get hell for this?
Because sheep can't talk

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
No doubt Windows Phone 8 was great OS.
It offer very smooth user experience but it lacks features
But now
We have almost the the features we want but now OS is not offer smooth lag free experience as WP8.

Start Screen Lag
Xbox Music lag
Xbox Video lag
Xbox Games lag.
and
We have another new contender
Now even our Lock Screen lag.

We have all the official laggiest apps now.

I think
The problem is MS suddenly became serious about WP and launching too many beta apps one after another.
The only good recent app which MS launched is 'FILES". Which they forgotten after launch.(Seriously no updates in 2-3 months)

I think it's time MS should focus on quality not quantity.
No one asked Live Lock Screen.
but almost every WP users want that they have smooth,fast and fluid XBOX--- M,G.V.

Sorry but this is just assuming personal experience on one device translates into everyone's experience. That then leads to presenting uninformed and unfounded speculation as fact. Of course you then throw in a classic troll title on top of things. Perhaps you might consider asking questions (polite is also appreciated) in the forum for your device. As to your assumption that your experience is everyone's, no it is not. I don't experience lag on either my 928 or 822. I am not going to assume though that no one experiences lag anywhere so I am not suggesting you are lying (your words).

Pradika

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm very frustrated with Xbox service...
Games appears in app list, and everytime we open games hub, too much waiting, loading, updating, loading again...
Music and video hub is worst, better in wp8, no streaming music and video.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

My 1020 has pretty good specs and lags the same way he is talking about. I don't think it has anything to do with hardware. I think there is some bug in the software that causes occasional hangs when transitioning to other apps, etc. My home screen is completely random. Sometimes its just fine, other times it has a horrible delay and all my tiles are blank for several seconds. That would suggest a software issue.

Nabiscuit

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm experiencing maddening lag on my 1020. Right now, the biggest culprit is the new Calendar app. I tap it, it opens, it crashes immediately. I tap it again, nothing. Again, nothing. And then finally after about 45-55 seconds after my first tap, it finally opens.

I think what people are having really big issues with the new OS, is the phone no longer operates the way you used to use it.

I own a business and I have everyone's work schedules automatically pop up in my calendar app. This used to be a fluid experience. After 8.1, it's been a nightmare to deal with. Very frustrating.

I have around 75 tiles on my Start Screen. On 8.0, my 1020 was a champ. Always shows the live tiles, never had to redraw them, never had to Resume (my Start Screen resumes about twice a day now).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that 8.0 was so fast and so fluid that you could use your phone in any way that you saw fit. You want 100 live tiles? Sure thing! Do you have over 200 appointments loaded on your calendar? WP can handle it! Do you love apps and need to download all the new ones and load up your phone? No worries. WP8 is for you.

But with 8.1, all the polish is gone.

It's like Microsoft never really saw how lots of users use their phones and released 8.1 for the lowest common denominator. Sure it'll sing on a quad-core processor, but if you want to abuse your phone by loading a bunch of apps, tiles, and calendar appointments, then 8.1 is going to abuse you - by making you wait an extra four seconds to do anything.

I love the new features and everything 8.1 brings, but the experience is a lot worse on older hardware. I mean hell, if your phone is going to get 200% slower after one year of owning it and apps that used to be reliable will now die all the time for no reason.... What's the reason to use WP over IOS or Android?!?

There is none. Especially since most of Microsoft's services can be gotten on any mobile device...

For now, I'm sticking with my 1020 cause I need the camera... But next release cycle... I dunno. This crap better improve. I've been with WP since the very first day. I was in the Microsoft Store and got a Dell Venue Pro on day 1. Compared to my Blackberry Bold, it was a revelation. It really used to be the Fastest OS. Not anymore. :(

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes it's considerably less smooth, WP8 was faster to resume apps, the start screen was lag free and yes, the integrated system apps used to work flawlessly ( aka calendar, music, etc.) now we see things we weren't used to like loading screens.

It's not the end of the world either, IDK about the user experience on slower devices (I run 8.1DP on a 920) but I can live with 8.1 on the 920 plus I don't know if Cyan would make it feel faster, I just hope that Microsoft is aware of us, the users and hopefully they can improve the experience.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk

Cravot

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I have cyan on the 925, i have lag. I have a 720 on dp, i have lag. I tested the 630. Lag almost disappears. I think their seems to be an optimization problem for 2 core devices. To the ones who have it try talking to wpsupport on twitter or in the chat on their website, so they are aware of the problems. This will help. I don't expect 2year old hardware to do as good as new, but when your store app responds better than your start screen you have a problem

Justin Holland1

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Mine will be the whole set of tiles. I'll have just a bunch of blank theme color tiles as scrolling and then it eventually catches up and shows the tiles actually content. I've heard it would happen with Cortana pinned to the Start Screen, but I removed her and it still does it.

I think it is the dp because I got the 630 that comes preload with cyan and 8.1 and it is lag free so if your using dp roll it back and wait for the cyan update it will be lag free cuz my old 521 worked fine no lag until I put dp on then it laged

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Plenty of lag on my 1520 on att with official cyan update and sometimes still have that screen reload issues and as I've mentioned on this site before my camera shakes bad and all of my pics come out horrible all since 8.1 and yes I've done plenty of hard resets so yeah there's still plenty of lag and usually run a soft reset once a week !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo