Windows Phone 8.1 - Laggiest phone OS of 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
probably just samsung firmware update or htc firmware. Nothing extraordinary like bittersweet shimmer and cherry blossom or cool like black and cyan.

Those are some interesting names. They might want to call Clairol first because I'm quite sure my wife has hair dyes with those names. :winktongue:

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
What a waste, this discussion.
To start with the OP is using 8.1 DP, not the release version with 8.1 firmware.

Microsoft gives you the ability to preview the release, makes it clear at App Studio there may be various problems and you accept this. Now you speak of 8.1 DP like it is the real deal.
No other phone platform gives you this ability. How quickly you lose sight of this. You should be thanking MS for letting you preview the update and stop the whining.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
There is a bottom line here ...

NO two phones are alike ! They have different sets of apps, running on Dev Preview, some coded better than others. Some apps are memory hogs, without proper garbage collection, thus memory becomes fragmented. A good practice (especially on some lower spec'd devices) would be to manage your open apps - if you have 10 apps open in the background, you are more prone to lag. ALSO, reboot your device, once a week, it'll do wonders for the phone.

Learned from my wife's experience, handed my Lumia 920 down to her, pick up the phone & she has anywhere from 5 - 18 instances still open in background. She also never powered her phone OFF. Now that she's powering off once a week, the niggling problems she encountered are gone - & she's still on WinPhone 8.0. She's also learned to close apps, rather than simply hitting the home button.

My Lumia 1520 is on Cyan (since Thursday) too early to tell, long term, but right now it's smooth as butter, very responsive, had 1 instance of 2 second lag since Thursday. Once your device gets the update, you'll see, a lot less lag ... because you're starting fresh w a re-install & because the firmware will be optimized to match the OS.

Patience & peace (both in short supply in the world, today)

Deadbluesky666

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 5 or whatever they release lately, damn they are far a way behind WP for their unit with dual core, 1gb ram, crappy iOS with the slower web browsing experience i ever met, the battery stay charged 4-5 hours if you are lucky, and the worst is when they release a new phone they put an update to the old unit to get them slower because they want you to buy the last one, at least go with Android if you dont like WP... Sony Xperia Z2 is a great alternative with awesome specs !!!
Took the words out of my mouth :)
Next phone will be an iPhone now !

Celldweller97

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Guys its a Developer Preview of course there's gonna be a bit of lag here and there wait until they optimize for the devices.

Last edited:

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
This thread just got away from me, too much to read. Gained 6 pages in 2 days.
Am I missing anything other than random complaints?

Cravot

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Guys its a Developer Preview of course there's gonna be a bit of lag here and there wait until they optimize for the devices.

And what if I have cyan (my 925 has it) and the problems aren't gone. my device takes half a second to respond to switch between app list and starscreen. and before you suggest hard reset and not restore, fresh reboot, close apps and all the different things, already did it and the problem persists. I have never been on the preview and this is the first thing I noticed. Here take a look http://1drv.ms/1prYAbc.

Sandeep Randhawa

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Seriously bro?? Well i dont know about your phone , u may have laggiest WP 8.1 on ur phone but on my 1520 it fluid smooth. I was facing lags in DP8.1 but now they are all gone after i updated to Cyan.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
DP is NOT the release version. There are no OEM-specific drivers involved with it which is why some models have more bugs than others. HTC, Nokia and Samsung have their own camera firmware, for example. Please, at least know what you're talking about before posting as fact. There are many users here that may not be as well informed.
But they all are running on processors of one family. Its true that camera will improve after cyan update but performance, I doubt.

gagalovegood

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Xbox music and video are so bad. I don't know why Microsoft don't bring Zune HD player features and interface to Xbox Music, It so fast, look good and easy to use.

Last edited:

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
But they all are running on processors of one family. Its true that camera will improve after cyan update but performance, I doubt.

First of all, every single SoC has its own architecture, which is different from the others (even the "same family").
Secondly, most of devices have different set of sensors, radio modules etc etc, so the combination is different, thus different firmware.

P.S. Oh yeah, did I forgot to mention the most obvious - the display?

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Must be isolated - my L925 on Cyan's quick as ever. I noticed the Games hub was laggy but don't use that any more and don't use any of the other Xbox stuff. That will all go soon anyway I'm sure.

gagalovegood

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Why don't we just go back to stone age.
Although It is older than but do you see that it is better than Xbox music on Windows Phone now?! Maybe the name is still Xbox music but if the performance and the structure of it is similar to Zune HD music player is better. thanks. That's my opinion.

P/s: The Zune HD player is the Zune look as following Pictures. Not Zune Software on computer or Zune app on Windows Phone.
zunehd_review_06.jpg
microsoft-zune-hd-pmp.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz