Don't know what you have!!!!

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I've wondered after reading many of the posts why are WP owners here crying out for a flag ship device knowing that after installing WP8.1 and GDR1 then on to GDR2 that your current device will be operating on the same level as any GS4/5, LG G2/3, IPhone 4S/5S,HTC M7/8, SONY Z1/2. come to think of it the only thing any of those will have over anyone owning a 920-1520 will be in some case .5 ,.6 or .7 of an inch in screen size over some of the Lumia models and that's it full stop. Apple does not have NFC or wireless charging and yet the only adv over WP is the features found in IOS that will be in WP8.1, so really what's the issue. Tell me you want a quad core processor, 5" 1080p screen to see the same apple a bit sharper than ur already seeing!!! FYI to all the WP brainiacs and enthusiasts why has the IPHONE been so successful and boasts smaller screens than some of the Lumia models, no sd card slot, lesser screen pixel density, no NFC, no wireless charging and yet out sells WP whyyyyyyyyyyyyy. So instead of ******** about flag ship devices, ***** about making the OS better than the speed of any qualcomm processor, better than any unibody design HTC has, better than any IP58/67 rating that SONY has and so on and so forth. Think about what it is you really want and look at what you already have and how in just a month or 2 it will be practically 10X better from simply downloading and installing an UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the issue is not so much the lack of capability of older devices to upgrade here in the US, but more related to the fact that most postpaid US customers on contracts tend to upgrade to the next flagship device as soon as their contracts end.

I've held onto an upgrade for 11 months previously, and I'm now 3 months past upgrade eligibility.

However, the majority of US postpaid customers will not wait like I am doing. If a particular platform lacks a flagship model when upgrade is available, those customers will switch to another platform that has a new flagship device, just because they want something new and shiny, and any platform's flagship will be around the same price with subsidy/contract renewal. (My bill didn't get any cheaper when my contract expired).

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
SD card slots and NFC charging are nice features, and some people who use iPhone's might like to have that stuff, but most couldn't care less. A Microsoft phone just doesn't appeal to them. People get hooked on the Apple ecosystem, they love Face Time and having all of the latest apps & games. There are trendy apps that come out each week, and Windows Phone doesn't get those. It might not seem like a big deal to you, but it's a very big deal to them.

The same is almost true for Android users. They love Google's ecosystem and most of Google apps are considered to be the best in mobile. Android is incredibly flexible, and really caters to those who like to tinker and customize their phones. Yesterday I had a keyboard/mouse and Xbox controller plugged into my phone, and was using it as a mini computer hooked up to my TV. That's nuts.

Microsoft is making great strides in improving Windows Phone, this past year has been fantastic. As for people crying out for a flagship device, it's only natural. Flagship phones make headlines on tech sites and get people talking, they make people interested in Windows Phone, and all of that helps with the adoption rate. Windows Phone needs numbers so that developers bring the latest cool apps and games to the platform. Right now, 50% of the Windows Phone devices being sold are $100 dollar cheapo's, and people who buy cheap phones do not spend big on apps, developers see it this way.

*example*
Modern Combat 5 just came out on all platforms, and it costs $7 dollars to download(not cheap). There are over 8,000 download reviews on Google Play, and many probably downloaded it without leaving a review, so that download number will be much higher. Now look at the review numbers for that game at the WP store. We are incredibly lucky that Gameloft supports our devices and continues to make games for us even in the face of small revenue. Most developers aren't willing to do this. We need to show them that they can make money on this platform, we need flagship phones sold in numbers that aren't locked into one stupid carrier. These phones are important, they get people excited. $100 dollar Lumia's with low-res screens and 512mb of ram are not going to move the Windows Phone platform forward.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Qi charging is not nfc charging. NFC is a near field communications. Qi uses an induction coil. It takes advantage of nfc to communicate with the phone to adjust charge levels and turn off when battery is full. And an SD card is huge. I do without for my 920 and will again for the 930 but I would much rather have it. Unlimited data is disappearing and being able to store lots of music, video, pictures is really nice.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
These phones are important, they get people excited. $100 dollar Lumia's with low-res screens and 512mb of ram are not going to move the Windows Phone platform forward.

Of course, that strategy never worked for Android :p

I agree that WP needs flagship phones to keep the attention and hype, but to be honest... only Apple have the luxury to thrive by selling expensive phones, the rest of OEM's needs to diversify their hardware offering with every market segment in order to survive, just look Samsung, LG, HTC and even Sony. They have covered the low end tier which is a very important market and is not wise to underestimate those potential customers, and that's one of the main reasons behind the billion Android phones.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Apple owners get one, maybe two, new phones once a year. The specs have about half of what was rumoured and they think they have died and gone to heaven.

Microsoft puts out the Icon/930, mid-year, and, 5 minutes later, all I hear is "when is the next flagship coming out?".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans