Drive turn by turn takes two tries?

tacroy

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I've been noticing that pretty much every time I ask Cortana to take me somewhere she hears it fine, and says "Starting directions to home" or whatever, but then when drive+ loads it has no location set. Just opens like I opened it from the launcher. THEN if I go back to Cortana and ask again, it will launch Drive+ again and then it works fine.

This is a on a Icon with DP.

Anyone else have this issue? Or should I hard reset and hope it fixes it?

scallawag

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I've been noticing that pretty much every time I ask Cortana to take me somewhere she hears it fine, and says "Starting directions to home" or whatever, but then when drive+ loads it has no location set. Just opens like I opened it from the launcher. THEN if I go back to Cortana and ask again, it will launch Drive+ again and then it works fine.

This is a on a Icon with DP.

Anyone else have this issue? Or should I hard reset and hope it fixes it?
I do not have this issue. It works fine. Sorry to say I had not tested it before I had done a hard reset. I also have the Icon with DP.
Edit.
Sorry I did not read the OP closely enough. When I ask Cortana "Directions to ????" Cortana opens "Hear Drive +" with the map at the top and Start button at the bottom with info like distance, time,
and delays in between. Cortana does not say anything but it is working perfectly for me. I do have to touch the start button. Not sure if we are all using the same mapping app.

Last edited:

Baltez

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I can't really do that at the moment as I don't have my laptop with me (only surface 2). Unfortunately the recovery tool doesn't work on Windows RT

Last edited:

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Instead of Drive+, have you tried the MapQuest app? This is the one I use and is much more better than Drive+. At least here in the U.S.

Baltez

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the U.S. at the moment, thanks for the recommendation. However Cortana automatically starts Here Drive. It would be much better if I could set up Waze as my primary navigation app. I see a lot of room for improvement here.

scallawag

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue ,it's super annoying. The same happens sometimes when you start form here maps.
The first time I told Cortana to Navigate to a location "navigate to anyplace" A dialogue box asked me which of the three map apps I have on my Icon to use. After that Cortana just uses my first choice as a default. I decided to try try a different map so I went into Cortana's settings and Deleted History. Next time I asked Cortana to Navigate the dialogue box popped up just like on the first navigate request.
The bottom line is I never start from a mapping app Cortana opens my default one for me.
Another thing I noticed if say navigate to Target I will get a list of Target stores in a large area. If I say navigate to target in Charlottesville Virginia my map app opens with directions from my location. If my destination was in Places I might not have to say the city and st.

scallawag

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the U.S. at the moment, thanks for the recommendation. However Cortana automatically starts Here Drive. It would be much better if I could set up Waze as my primary navigation app. I see a lot of room for improvement here.
Cortana automatically starts Here Drive because Here drive somehow got set as your default mapping app.
The first time I told Cortana to Navigate to a location "navigate to anyplace" A dialogue box asked me which of the three map apps I have on my Icon to use. After that Cortana just uses my first choice as a default. I decided to try try a different map so I went into Cortana's settings and Deleted History. Next time I asked Cortana to Navigate the dialogue box popped up just like on the first navigate request. I'm now using an app named "GPS Voice Navigation: that lets you select from Google map, Mapquest or Bing Maps. When I ask Cortana to navigate thats the app that opens.
I just added this edit because I just found it. Go to Settings/Applications/Maps the last setting is "set default voice navigation app" Much easier then what worked for me. Hope it helps

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro