1080p support for games

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
When will see 1080p games in WP? I'm tired of playing Asphalt 8 with only 720p. And I would like to see if WP is really that powerful compared to Android, benchmarks aside.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937) using Tapatalk

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
But as far as I know there isn't a big difference in 720p and 1080p. But yes developers should update their apps for full HD. Do you face any problems with 720p games on your lumia 1520 I mean like lag , low frame rate ?

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
But as far as I know there isn't a big difference in 720p and 1080p. But yes developers should update their apps for full HD. Do you face any problems with 720p games on your lumia 1520 I mean like lag , low frame rate ?

Absolutely no problem at all! But I want to test 1520's power further. I had the Nexus 7 (2013) before where I used to play games like Asphalt 8 and believe me, there's a very noticeable difference between Asphalt 8 in Android vs WP and iOS (for devices such as iPad Mini with no Retina ).

I think this is the only thing that doesn't make me consider the 1520 as the best gaming device. Its form factor, screen dimensions... everything seemed to be perfect except for this.

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I just hate when someone says there is no difference between 720p and 1080p. The difference is very discernible on any screen bigger than 5", if you can not see the difference then you are:
1 - blind
2 - you don't know the difference between a DVD and a blu-ray
3 - you think blu-ray looks better than HD-DVD

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
At the risk of reopening a old and very off topic argument, can you explain this statement?

Yeah I don't want to get into that argument 8 years later either, but talking strictly about picture quality, if you had the opportunity to compare side-by-side a blu-ray movie and an HD-DVD movie you would have notice that blu-ray was not as crystal clear as HD-DVD.

Did the right format won? yes, specially with the introduction of 3D Movies, but picture quality wise HD-DVD looked much better.

But this is a topic for AVSForum though... :wink:

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I don't want to get into that argument 8 years later either, but talking strictly about picture quality, if you had the opportunity to compare side-by-side a blu-ray movie and an HD-DVD movie you would have notice that blu-ray was not as crystal clear as HD-DVD.

Did the right format won? yes, specially with the introduction of 3D Movies, but picture quality wise HD-DVD looked much better.

But this is a topic for AVSForum though... :wink:

I'll bite one more time... Why was this? As far as I know, both systems used the same video formats and codecs. BD has the advantage of higher capacity which means that a higher average bitrate can be used, increasing quality (although it's up the disk author whether they do this and early disks generally used a single encoding for both formats, so quality should have been identical). HD-DVD made a very strange optical design choice which limited capacity.
Was there some other important difference that I'm not aware of? Of course, it may have been that HD-DVD players were better designed than early BD players - although I've never heard that claimed before and that would be about individual products rather than the formats themselves.

Last edited:

pod4711

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
The thing is: The 1520 has a full HD screen. That's 1080p. Games are rendered in 720p, that's 2/3 of 1080p. The system somehow has to show this content, but it gets blurry because it has to scale it up by 1.5, an odd factor that doesn't work well.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey, can we get back to the topic? When will 1080p games be supported in WP 8.1? >.<

And Chowdhary (or what his name was) didn't say there's NO difference between 1080p and 720p. What he said is that there ISN'T much difference.

Although for me and other people, that difference is visually substantial.

Sent from my W230ST using Tapatalk

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey, can we get back to the topic? When will 1080p games be supported in WP 8.1? >.<

And Chowdhary (or what his name was) didn't say there's NO difference between 1080p and 720p. What he said is that there ISN'T much difference.

Although for me and other people, that difference is visually substantial.

Sent from my W230ST using Tapatalk

its upto developers if they want to take advantage of 1080p screen. For eg recently wpcentral app,was updated with full hd screen support. Should I blame the developers ?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
The thing is: The 1520 has a full HD screen. That's 1080p. Games are rendered in 720p, that's 2/3 of 1080p. The system somehow has to show this content, but it gets blurry because it has to scale it up by 1.5, an odd factor that doesn't work well.

That depends how it's done. An engineer who understands scaling can make it work well (most video content you watch on your phone, PC or TV is scaled). Microsoft and the phone manufacturers may not have put in the effort to do it well, though, and it's not so easy to do it well in all circumstances.

I'm astonished if WP really doesn't support 1080p games. Why is this (if it's true)? Are Microsoft really trying?

PS still curious about any answers to my last post of HD-DVD v Blu-Ray (number 8).

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
That depends how it's done. An engineer who understands scaling can make it work well (most video content you watch on your phone, PC or TV is scaled). Microsoft and the phone manufacturers may not have put in the effort to do it well, though, and it's not so easy to do it well in all circumstances.

I'm astonished if WP really doesn't support 1080p games. Why is this (if it's true)? Are Microsoft really trying?

PS still curious about any answers to my last post of HD-DVD v Blu-Ray (number 8).

Wait, my way of saying the problem was terrible... WP is supported for 1080p games to run, but I think no dev's utilizing it.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
HD-DVD was better because they used VC-1 earlier than Blu ray. Blu ray stuck with MPEG-2 for a while longer and it wasn't as efficient. Eventually Blu ray went to VC-1 and then AVC codecs and then larger disc' and they started to have equal and better video quality. Also, Blu ray often had standard compressed DD5.1 while HD-DVD moved to DD+ sooner, which was more efficient and supported up to 7.1.

Also, HD-DVD was region free and studio's would have never let them win. ;). FWIW, I had HD-DVD and pulled for it. Still have all my HD-DVD players and movies too.

Wow, way OT. Haha

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
HD-DVD was better because they used VC-1 earlier than Blu ray. Blu ray stuck with MPEG-2 for a while longer and it wasn't as efficient. Eventually Blu ray went to VC-1 and then AVC codecs and then larger disc' and they started to have equal and better video quality. Also, Blu ray often had standard compressed DD5.1 while HD-DVD moved to DD+ sooner, which was more efficient and supported up to 7.1.

Also, HD-DVD was region free and studio's would have never let them win. ;). FWIW, I had HD-DVD and pulled for it. Still have all my HD-DVD players and movies too.

Wow, way OT. Haha

Ah ok, this is about a few disks being better for a period of time, not about HD-DVD offering inherently better picture quality than Blu-Ray. That could be true (I don't remember). Anyway thanks for the answers and apologies for going so far off topic. :)

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Getting back to the 1080p vs 720p debate...

The performance difference is NOT based on the OS, although the OS itself can have optimizations that does help the rendering efficiency.
The power is based on the GPU used in the devices. The Nexus 7 has a Tegra3 (mobile Geforce) GPU. the IPhone has a PowerVR GPU. The 1520 uses an Adreno330 GPU.
They're all pretty powerful but the PowerVR GPU is easily the most powerful of the bunch, regardless of which iPhone. IPhone is consistently at the top of the gaming charts. The Tegra3 would be a close second, because as far as I know its mobile GPU is based on the desktop GPU which is simply made for games. The 1520 uses the best GPU from Qualcomm. They've actually been making the weakest GPU's for quite some time until the snapdragon 800 class (adreno330) which brings it up to par finally. Its actually one of the better GPU's right now but its not being utilized to its fullest on WP platform.

If you want a comparison of performance then you have to take windows device and an android with the same GPU and compare.
Again optimizations with the OS and GPU does help to increase performance. I honestly think they can further optimize the WP games but gameloft (an example since they made asphalt and the modern combat games) seems to be content with straight up porting games to WP from android and ios. It works, it runs, and its not really optimized for performance (ive seen framedrops and FPS inconsistencies in the WP versions vs other versions. Its definitely not because of the GPU because the Adreno330 is pretty powerful at this point), and ive noticed that a lot of gameloft titles are pretty buggy. Dungeon Gems barely starts. When it does it works fine, but its always crashing on the gameloft splash screen before it even loads.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Getting back to the 1080p vs 720p debate...

The performance difference is NOT based on the OS, although the OS itself can have optimizations that does help the rendering efficiency.
The power is based on the GPU used in the devices. The Nexus 7 has a Tegra3 (mobile Geforce) GPU. the IPhone has a PowerVR GPU. The 1520 uses an Adreno330 GPU.
They're all pretty powerful but the PowerVR GPU is easily the most powerful of the bunch, regardless of which iPhone. IPhone is consistently at the top of the gaming charts. The Tegra3 would be a close second, because as far as I know its mobile GPU is based on the desktop GPU which is simply made for games. The 1520 uses the best GPU from Qualcomm. They've actually been making the weakest GPU's for quite some time until the snapdragon 800 class (adreno330) which brings it up to par finally. Its actually one of the better GPU's right now but its not being utilized to its fullest on WP platform.

If you want a comparison of performance then you have to take windows device and an android with the same GPU and compare.
Again optimizations with the OS and GPU does help to increase performance. I honestly think they can further optimize the WP games but gameloft (an example since they made asphalt and the modern combat games) seems to be content with straight up porting games to WP from android and ios. It works, it runs, and its not really optimized for performance (ive seen framedrops and FPS inconsistencies in the WP versions vs other versions. Its definitely not because of the GPU because the Adreno330 is pretty powerful at this point), and ive noticed that a lot of gameloft titles are pretty buggy. Dungeon Gems barely starts. When it does it works fine, but its always crashing on the gameloft splash screen before it even loads.
Wow, thanks to your very informative reply. But if that's the case, the 1520 really seems to be better since it beat other phones with the same SoC on benchmark tests. :D

And I don't see any framerate drops on Asphalt 8.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Damn, I just loaded Chickens Can't Fly on my 1520. It looked like it was running on WP7.5 resolutions. I didn't notice it as bad on my smaller 720p 1020. It looks pretty darn soft on my 1520. :*(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb