WP 8.1 Bugs and Defects

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Post below if you think you've noticed any issues or Windows Phone 8.1 isn't behaving as it should. This thread is for the discussion of any software issues. We will endeavour to keep this OP updated and relevant.

Below is an overview of some of the terminology you may come across:

[NOTE]Soft Reset: By pressing down the Volume Down + Power buttons for 10-15 seconds (or until the device vibrates) you can perform a soft reset on your device. This is a little bit like a factory reset for your phone's OS only you get to keep all of your personal data. Think of it like restarting your PC. This is the first thing you should try if your device is behaving oddly.

Hard Reset: By going to settings>about>reset your phone you can completely wipe your phone of your personal data (ideal if you're going to send in your phone for repair or sell it). Your phone will turn off and you'll see spinning gears for a while (up to an hour or so) and when it's done you will see the same screens you saw when you first turned on your phone out of the box. You'll have to sign in with your Microsoft account again and start over.

How to make your Lumia's battery last longer: See the thread over at the Nokia Discussion Forum here.

How to reset your device's camera: Go to settings>applications>photos+camera>reset.[/NOTE]
Remember to keep your posts as descriptive as possible so that we can try to keep this thread relevant.

Last edited:

SoundsLikeLife

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Bugs and Defects

Really tiny bug, but the confused emoji is missing. It is the one that has a sideways "s" for a mouth. 😕 However, there are two identical smiley faces ☺

TheLiege

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

My picture hub quite regularly goes completely transparent. The only way I have managed to fix this is by going into its settings and tapping shuffle now and then it works again for a while.

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site

Big one here - trying to download maps to my sd card using storage sense (i have a 1520 if that matters) does NOT work and seems to merely re-download the maps back onto the phone where I had them originally but then deleted them (so that I could, you know, free up space by putting the maps on the sd card).

My journey through this issue is detailed in this thread. http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1/299969-maps-not-saving-sd-card.html

UPDATE: Using the Lumia Storage Checker App, I was able to save my maps to my SD card, although the maps are 5.01GB on the card when they were 3.89gb on the phone. And the App shows different numbers for the sizes of things like apps and free space than the storage sense. (According to Lumia Storage Check, I have 139mb of apps on my phone. On Storage Sense, 301.86mb.)

And I shouldn't have to use an old app that storage sense was supposed to in part replace in order to do something that storage sense is supposed to do.

Glad to see Windows is keeping it's commitment to infuriating their customers no matter how much else they improve/innovate on...

Last edited:

Cesar Yadao

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

I don't receive messages and notifications from Viber, Messenger, etc. after updating my Lumia 1320 with 8.1 Cyan update. I checked Background Apps running and Notifications are on but still getting no messages from these apps. I only receive new messages after I open the app. Anyone of you having this issue?

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

@cesar yadao..... Its a well known bug. You may have seen a message from whatsapp saying that its not programmed yet for 8.1 and other apps are like that. They are aware of it tho *smile*

ukedave

May 28, 2014
Visit site

Is anyone experiencing a bug when recording videos with either nokia camera or beta where the device does not start recording when you tap the video icon? Trying a soft reset /1520

Matt Marsh

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

Has anyone figured a good way to keep scrolling thru an app I stead of always picking the part that u pressed on. So sick and tired of picking an article when I want to scroll to the next one.

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site

Games Hub no longer works. Gone into further detail in this thread - http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ub-crashing-closing-everytime-i-try-open.html

I have so far received no replies to that thread - if a way to fix it is found, I'll remove, but I can't even get the damn thing to open.

UPDATE: It seems to be working fine now. I have my phone set to automatically download and install updates, so perhaps one has gone through since I first posted my original post.

Last edited:

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site

Finally, I won't post a separate thread on this one since I'm guessing it may be the app-developers needing to tweak stuff, but I've had some issues with some apps 1.) after migrating them from my phone to my card, and 2.) after restarting my phone:

1.) After migrating all my apps and games to my card, some apps simply didn't work. Their live tiles went blank and/or black, and when I would "open" them, I'd get a never-ending loading screen with the dots, etc. that I couldn't back out of - I'd have to hit the Windows button to get to the tile screen, so I could then close out the aforementioned app using the "hold the back button and hit the x" method.

I solved this for all affected apps by uninstalling and reinstalling them, and since my settings were set to download new apps to the sd card, they went to where I wanted them and they worked again...

2.) EXCEPT, I just restarted my phone, and at least 2 apps that I can see, Battery and Words With Friends, are back to having the same issues, so I'm guessing I'll need to uninstall and reinstall again.

Again, I'm guessing some of this may be more the apps fault than the phones, but either way, hoping that this thread will be seen by people who can fix these things, I might as well list it here too. At least now after restarting my phone my music info doesn't disappear - thank GOD that's over....

nothin2lose

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site

On my Nokia Lumia 635:

- Can't use MP3 ringtones I've stored in the phones ringtones folder.

- For Belgium/Netherlands: WordFlow isn't available for BE keyboard (AZERTY), but it is available for NL keyboard (QWERTY) and FR keyboard (AZERTY)... It's the same language. :eck: This is a bit annoying for people who have used AZERTY keyboards like forever.

sibirsk

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

Don't know if its Lumia 930 specific, or firmware-specific, but WP 8.1 it stutters a lot on my phone.
I mean UI stutters, as if the quad-core 2.2 GHz processor couldn't keep up the rendering.
Had a WP 7.5 phone previously, and have a Windows 8.1 Pro tablet, both with much lower specs, and while they sometimes slowed down, the UI transitions, scrolling, as complex as they could get, NEVER stuttered.

vishera

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site

I noticed this recently , when I transfered some files via Bluetooth from another devices like PC and tablet the files just did't stored on memory. I'm sure I tapped Accept button when receive files (example : image) the image didn't show in anywhere. And if I received other files with third-party extension like .rar .bak etc. I wonder where the file would be placed, I just found nothing on my lumia . better make a separate folder for store the received file via bluetooth like bluetooth exchange folder in PC.

sorry for my bad english :)

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that on my 925 Here Drive+ doesn't recognize addresses that it previously did. It can find the address just fine from Here Maps, and will give turn by turn directions when you start navigation from there, but not when you use the people hub to quickly navigate to an address from a contact. Pops up a dialog that says no address was found.

I've done a soft reset etc, did a full erase and update, not using a backup, everything from scratch.

Edit: Looks like it's a problem with GPS and the built in maps program, not the Here apps.

Last edited:

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

Memory handling. Eg if I write in tapatalk and the screen turns off at best some of the text is still there , but sometimes its all gone :(
Endomondo also stops running sometimes :(
Sent from my Lumia 925 wp8.1 using Tapatalk

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site

major bugg that annoys me to high hell
when i am typing lets say i go to type ahahahahaha
for example my screen zooms in and does not want to go back i have to hit two keys randomly like what ever i see ej fhfhfhfhfhfhfhfhf until it snaps back pics of the issue here its annoying.

IMG_20140727_172556.jpgIMG_20140727_172656.jpg

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

major bugg that annoys me to high hell
when i am typing lets say i go to type ahahahahaha
for example my screen zooms in and does not want to go back i have to hit two keys randomly like what ever i see ej fhfhfhfhfhfhfhfhf until it snaps back pics of the issue here its annoying.

View attachment 74904View attachment 74905
That's not a bug you have enabled screen magnifier.To turn it off go to settings-ease of access- turn off screen magnifier.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb