Will 8.1 run well on this system?

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So, I'm going to be upgrading the family computer to windows 8.1 and I'm wondering if it will run well in the computer because the specs are not up to date. The computer uses a intel core 2. Duo CPU@2.80 ghz, the RAM is 4gbs, and the four is a Radeon HD 3450 2042mb. So not the worst , but certainly not the best. When I buy 8.1 in the store, is their a 32bit and a 64bit version? Should I go with 64bit?

Also, I'm planning on wiping the computer to potentially deal with performance. Should I install 8.1 then wipe it? Or can I wipe and install 8.1 then? Should I wipe and reformat ?

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes, you will have no issues running Windows 8.1 on that PC.

What OS is currently installed? Are you currently running a 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Please see this link: Update to Windows 8.1: FAQ - Windows Help

well, its windows 7 64-bit I believe. the reason I want to upgrade is that, well, we got the computer through my grandfathers friend and he put a copy of windows 7 on there that wasnt geniune. it has since started giving us pop ups and we cant get updates, so were going to go and get 8.1. Im also not ok running a non geniune version of windows for both moral and security/performance reasons. So thats why I was wondering if I should install 8.1 then do I complete reformat wipe or whatever. because if I did it before going to 8.1 I doubt I can get 7 back and itll cause problems.

Speederoff

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Windows 8.1 boot very fast and smooth ui, your spec same as mine. You have to reformat completely if install using UEFI which is make boot load more quicker.

Speederoff

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
well, its windows 7 64-bit I believe. the reason I want to upgrade is that, well, we got the computer through my grandfathers friend and he put a copy of windows 7 on there that wasnt geniune. it has since started giving us pop ups and we cant get updates, so were going to go and get 8.1. Im also not ok running a non geniune version of windows for both moral and security/performance reasons. So thats why I was wondering if I should install 8.1 then do I complete reformat wipe or whatever. because if I did it before going to 8.1 I doubt I can get 7 back and itll cause problems.
Trust me, there is no problem with windows 8.1, you will love it 😊

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If you don't have a legit version of Windows 7, then you'll probably want to get a full version of Windows 8.1, not an upgrade. You won't be able to use Upgrade Assistant, since that will find your license is invalid when it runs the checks. Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant and Setup privacy statement - Microsoft Windows

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
If you don't have a legit version of Windows 7, then you'll probably want to get a full version of Windows 8.1, not an upgrade. You won't be able to use Upgrade Assistant, since that will find your license is invalid when it runs the checks. Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant and Setup privacy statement - Microsoft Windows

No I know, were going to get the 8.1 at best buy. its just I never upgraded windows software before, so im im unsure about these things. is there only one version of 8.1 in store? becasue I believe my syestem is 64-bit because it said 64-bit in the menu where I checked what processors and ram the computer had.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You do have a 64 bit system and therefor you should install a 64 bit version of 8.1...

I agree the spec you have will run 8.1 like a champ. No worries there.

There are different versions. For maximum benefit and features go with 8.1 Pro. The installer disk will install either 32 or 64 bit. Simply choose 64 bit during install set up.

​Nothing beats a clean install. Enjoy.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
You do have a 64 bit system and therefor you should install a 64 bit version of 8.1...

I agree the spec you have will run 8.1 like a champ. No worries there.

There are different versions. For maximum benefit and features go with 8.1 Pro. The installer disk will install either 32 or 64 bit. Simply choose 64 bit during install set up.

​Nothing beats a clean install. Enjoy.

Is the 119 dollar version of 8.1 (in a pinkish box) not 64bit? Or if I buy that version will it give me a option to do 64bit? Or is the 64 bit version only available in 8.1 pro?

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Either will install as 32 bit or 64 bit.

Here is where you can compare:
Compare and decide about Windows 8.1 - Microsoft Windows
Compare Windows 8.1 editions

Or in a nutshell:
8.1 Pro Lets you...
Encrypt your data via Bitlocker
Use Remote Desktop Hosting
​Connect to work or school networks / domains

I don't really have a use for the pro features I think. So I'll just got with the regular 64 bit version. Does it ask which bit version you want in the installer?

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

Thanks. I feel kinda dumb asking, since I'm pretty tech Davy with stuff but I honestly never installed windows on a computer or updated the OS before. We just kept using it until the computer either broke or just got so slow we just replaced the while computer.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
One more thing. If you are a dev and you need Visual Studio for anything, you'll need 8.1 Pro x64.

Otherwise go with the regular 8.1 x64.

pdelvo

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
One more thing. If you are a dev and you need Visual Studio for anything, you'll need 8.1 Pro x64.

Otherwise go with the regular 8.1 x64.

No. The thing you cannot do without pro is installing hyper-v for virtual machines which is,what needed to use the windows phone emulator. Debugging on a device is fine on the standard version. Another difference is that you need pro if you want to use rdp to connect to you PC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss