Windows Phone 8.1 Xbox Music - Playlists deleting themselves?...

Liam Ebsworth

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Right, so I've recently bought a brand new Lumia 625, and I have put only a fraction of my main music library (about 2GB) onto my phone memory. The music plays fine, and works well. However when I create a playlist, the playlist works fine for around 5 minutes, then when I exit the Xbox Music app and enter it again, the playlist has either disappeared or some tracks have been mysteriously deleted from it. It's very frustrating.

Also, to make sure it's not actually an Xbox Music problem, I synced playlists that I created on MediaMonkey on my computer, onto my phone. They sync fine. When I browse the phone files in Windows Explorer and go to the playlist section, the playlists are there, and they are also there on my phone and they work well... Again, for about 5 minutes. I go back to Windows Explorer only to find that playlists have actually disappeared from the phone memory. The actual playlist file containing the playlist music has disappeared. Just the playlist file, the mp3 files remain on the phone, which is a relief. But seriously, I'm starting to feel like my phone is taking the **** by just automatically deleting every playlist I create.

I have tried every method of creating a playlist and trying to get it onto the phone:
- I've used third-party music players on my computer and tried to sync them to my phone from there. No luck.
- I have tried actually manually creating playlists on Windows Explorer and pasting them into my phone files. No luck.
- I have tried using third-party apps on my phone to create playlists. No luck.
- I have tried the most obvious method of creating playlists directly on the phone from Xbox Music. Obviously, no luck.

Extra Info: I am using a Nokia Lumia 625 running Windows Phone 8.1 Developers Preview with Lumia Cyan. I live in UK, and my phone language is set to US so I can access Cortana (However I don't think this is a problem because my dad also has US phone language on his 1320 and his playlists work fine).

Thanks in advance.

SRLumia620

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Right, so I've recently bought a brand new Lumia 625, and I have put only a fraction of my main music library (about 2GB) onto my phone memory. The music plays fine, and works well. However when I create a playlist, the playlist works fine for around 5 minutes, then when I exit the Xbox Music app and enter it again, the playlist has either disappeared or some tracks have been mysteriously deleted from it. It's very frustrating.

Also, to make sure it's not actually an Xbox Music problem, I synced playlists that I created on MediaMonkey on my computer, onto my phone. They sync fine. When I browse the phone files in Windows Explorer and go to the playlist section, the playlists are there, and they are also there on my phone and they work well... Again, for about 5 minutes. I go back to Windows Explorer only to find that playlists have actually disappeared from the phone memory. The actual playlist file containing the playlist music has disappeared. Just the playlist file, the mp3 files remain on the phone, which is a relief. But seriously, I'm starting to feel like my phone is taking the **** by just automatically deleting every playlist I create.

I have tried every method of creating a playlist and trying to get it onto the phone:
- I've used third-party music players on my computer and tried to sync them to my phone from there. No luck.
- I have tried actually manually creating playlists on Windows Explorer and pasting them into my phone files. No luck.
- I have tried using third-party apps on my phone to create playlists. No luck.
- I have tried the most obvious method of creating playlists directly on the phone from Xbox Music. Obviously, no luck.

Extra Info: I am using a Nokia Lumia 625 running Windows Phone 8.1 Developers Preview with Lumia Cyan. I live in UK, and my phone language is set to US so I can access Cortana (However I don't think this is a problem because my dad also has US phone language on his 1320 and his playlists work fine).

Thanks in advance.

My 620 running 8.1 Update 1 DP and Black software is doing the same thing since I replaced my microSD with a new one. Both microSD cards work well. This is something really wrong with the Xbox Music app. I just hate the fact that a company like Microsoft can't put together a decent app that syncs and plays my music library. Playlists keep on deleting themselves/ songs keep removing them off playlists although the actual songs remain in the library as you mentioned.
Even worse, since yesterday which is when I replaced my Class 2 SanDisk 8GB card to a SanDisk Class 4 32GB card, my app crashes whenever I try to play music. I can't even play a single song on my phone without the app immediately crashing EVERY TIME. The Old Music Hub works fine. But because the new Xbox Music app meddles with the actual playlist files on the device, the changes or deletion of the playlist files on the new app also directly affect the old Music Hub. I'm sure this is not a microSD problem as the old Music Hub works to play my music with the correct metadata and everything. I'm in utter disgust with Microsoft. If they have bugs on the new app atleast make the old Hub available again officially until the new Xbox Music app is ready for public consumer use!

P.S I have the latest Xbox Music update that came out a few days ago..

Ashwin J Pillai

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
How many playlist do you have guys??? I think there is some limit or otherwise hard reset your phone.. I had this problem... I factory reset my phone and it was normal

P.S Think twice before resetting

sanchit19jain

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
You guys need to change your sd card. The minimum requirement is class 6 but even Microsoft recommends a class 10 sd card. So go get a class 10 and then see if you have any problems.

SRLumia620

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys!
I have 3 playlists.
I don't know how it can be an SD card issue when I had the same three playlists working on a class 2 SD card about a week ago. I changed that SD card to my now active class 4 about three days back and it started giving me problems.

sanchit19jain

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Sd cards below class 6 are not compatible with Windows phone 8.1 and above. So any sd card with a class lower than 6 is bound to give you problems. Maybe you had some luck with a class 2 but you should really get a class 10.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I've begun having this problem on my Lumia 920 since yesterday, so I can confirm it isn't necessarily an SD Card issue.

Curiously though, for me the playlists don't even have a chance to appear in the app; they're just deleted instantly after syncing. =/

Liam Ebsworth

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Can I just say that all of my music is on my phone memory and I create playlists on my phone memory - it has nothing to do with the SD Card. Even creating playlists on the computer or third party apps doesn't work. The OS just seems to not want me to enjoy my music.

SRLumia620

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the confirmations! So this appears to be one step forward two steps back for Xbox music. Let's not lose hope. Tomorrow is update day for the music and video apps right?

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Hope so. In my attempts to constantly re-add my playlists in hope of making it realise they're there I've managed to cause my Xbox Music app to crash after ~15 seconds of launching, even when no music is present, so I can't even create my playlists manually. FML. ??

What makes this suck the most is the fact that everything was fine until I thought I'd try re-adding my music in hopes I could get the album art to show. Now I don't have album art, I don't have playlists and I barely have a music app. Just.... damn it. If Cyan were out on my carrier I'd just screw it and do a revert and hard reset. Just had it with this preview software.

Last edited:

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, I also had those problems since I updated my HTC 8S to 8.1.
I've had many problems with Xbox Music app. Playlists created in XBM app just dissapeared or have lead to lagging or closing app. I found a solution when I installed Music Hub Tile app, all those playlists that were deleted are shown in Playlists section of that old music+videos hub. So I don't have those problems anymore..

I also wanted to share my situation with you guys. Take a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18eBo6bZKhs&feature=youtu.be

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Hope so. In my attempts to constantly re-add my playlists in hope of making it realise they're there I've managed to cause my Xbox Music app to crash after ~15 seconds of launching, even when no music is present, so I can't even create my playlists manually. FML. ??

What makes this suck the most is the fact that everything was fine until I thought I'd try re-adding my music in hopes I could get the album art to show. Now I don't have album art, I don't have playlists and I barely have a music app. Just.... damn it. If Cyan were out on my carrier I'd just screw it and do a revert and hard reset. Just had it with this preview software.
Same problem here. Weird thing is my playlists show up perfect in musictastic. I can even start the playlist in that program and continue it in Xbox music but when I go to the playlist list in Xbox it still doesn't show.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Can I just say that all of my music is on my phone memory and I create playlists on my phone memory - it has nothing to do with the SD Card. Even creating playlists on the computer or third party apps doesn't work. The OS just seems to not want me to enjoy my music.
Playlists I create using windows media app on window a 7 work perfect on musictastic. Just can't get Xbox music to read them right.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Sd cards below class 6 are not compatible with Windows phone 8.1 and above. So any sd card with a class lower than 6 is bound to give you problems. Maybe you had some luck with a class 2 but you should really get a class 10.
Your information is correct, but the playlist issue is one that started after the last Xbox music update.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here. Weird thing is my playlists show up perfect in musictastic. I can even start the playlist in that program and continue it in Xbox music but when I go to the playlist list in Xbox it still doesn't show.

On that note, I tried using MixRadio and sure enough, despite Xbox Music's refusal to acknowledge my playlists (or even stay open for 15 seconds), MixRadio sees all the music and playlists without a hitch. How bizzare.

Seeing how much more compatible MixRadio is with album art as well, I'll be using that until Xbox Music seriously gets back in gear. Its a little slower but after the events of the last two days that feels like the pettiest of compromises...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss