Will WP8.1 Update 1 will enable aptX for existing phones also, or it will be for the new phones only

mahesham22

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
As I mentioned in the title, would we get aptX support on our existing phones also?
It would be great if some experts can shed some light on this.

As far as I know, aptX is a codec, so it might not need new hardware support. But for the firmware, I don't know.
So actually there are two questions here.

Will it work on current hardware?
If yes, will it require any specific firmware updates from OEM? (if so, getting only the preview won't enable it)

Thanks,.
Mahesh

LCGrzy

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I would like to know this also. I may be getting a device capable of using aptx soon. I will let you know if it sounds better than regular A2DP streaming. Not very scientific, but I've got nothing else to go on.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
WP 8.1 Update 1 will work on existing hardware. MS has pledged support for hardware from the first WP8 phones to the ones just released so you don't need to worry about that.

As far as aptX support goes you will have to wait and see until you install the update to try it out. That or ask the twitter of Windows Phone (@windowsphone) and see if you get a reply.

jbowyer1

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Will it work on current hardware?
If yes, will it require any specific firmware updates from OEM? (if so, getting only the preview won't enable it)

I'd like to know this also. Will the 1520 or 930 support aptX now, and is there any indication in the OS when they're using it with a pair of headphones that support aptX?

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to know the answer. I subjectively tried a BT speaker today after installing the update, and it sounded muddier than the same speaker using an audio cable. When I have time I'll compare the BT from a phone I know has aptx (GS3) and see if that sounds better. And for the record, I don't have Cyan (Lumia 920) so BT is already spotty with track progress bars and Fitbit not working over BT.

mahesham22

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I had no doubt about getting the update. I'm only concerned about the aptX support.

I'm don't have hardware to test this on. Actually, I want to buy speakers or BT audio receiver with aptX support. I'll probably wait until one of you guys who already owns the hardware can confirm the difference.

Thanks for the participation friends!

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I connected my LG tone + to an SGS3 and a Lumia 920 so I could play the same mp3 on each one after the other, and the sound was clearer with the SGS3. I did a single blind test with someone else handling the phones while I didn't watch and I knew which one was the SGS3 because it sounded better. So unless I am mistaken, aptX is not working on the Lumia 920. I don't know if Cyan will fix it; I guess I'll try it again whenever I get that unless someone who actually knows the answer speaks up.

mahesham22

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks DalekSnare. Our last hope is the Cyan update then. If it won't work with that, it's definitely intended for new hardware.

matiu_00

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
apt-x is working with my Lumia 1520 running 8.1 Update 1 Developer Preview and my Kinivo BTC450. I'm playing lossless WMA files to my car and it sounds so much better.

jbowyer1

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm playing lossless WMA files to my car and it sounds so much better.

Does either the phone or Kinivo adapter give any indication that aptX is in use?

Not to question your experience, but I'm wondering if it's a placebo effect. Unless you have another, non-8.1.1 1520 to test switching back and forth with, your test is very subjective.

gdobro

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I dont know what matiu means. But in the microsoft devs page for the gdr1 explicity says it is a new feature. Its a official site, so... I dont know what to think...

matiu_00

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I understand. No, there is no indicator that I am in fact streaming over apt-x. I have a non-8.1.1 Lumia 925 and 920 that I've crossed referenced. I'm hearing a much wider soundstage, more robust low-end, and cleaner highs after the update. My music collection consists of FLAC files that are converted to WMA Lossless and imported to my phones in JRiver Media Center. My Kinivo is routed through a Fiio E17 before it hits the aux-in jack of my car stereo.

For whatever it's worth, I'm a musician that's logged countless studio hours and I trust my ears, but you're absolutely right that audio quality is subjective. If you asked me my opinion though, I'm definitely streaming over apt-x.

Formula84

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I understand. No, there is no indicator that I am in fact streaming over apt-x. I have a non-8.1.1 Lumia 925 and 920 that I've crossed referenced. I'm hearing a much wider soundstage, more robust low-end, and cleaner highs after the update. My music collection consists of FLAC files that are converted to WMA Lossless and imported to my phones in JRiver Media Center. My Kinivo is routed through a Fiio E17 before it hits the aux-in jack of my car stereo.

For whatever it's worth, I'm a musician that's logged countless studio hours and I trust my ears, but you're absolutely right that audio quality is subjective. If you asked me my opinion though, I'm definitely streaming over apt-x.

Great I was wondering, I too have the same receiver, have not hooked it up yet, but most people claim that APTx you here much more bass, so that should be an indicator for others to look for on non cyan 1520 devices.

I was there was an indicator to tell us, but that's not even available on android... You have to dig deep in debug logging with certain options enabled in source to get whether its using it 😞

1520 w/ cyan 8.1.1

Only thing that pisses me off about the dev preview is the profiles for Bluetooth got jacked, on official 8.1 cyan when I get in my car, and connect to my internal head unit Bluetooth (not btc 450) it would auto start the paused song and I could use the next back buttons for track skipping, but on dev preview it breaks it. Skip does not work and also if playing music and using nav or Cortana takes over to Rea a text it is just dead air, had to switch the option in Bluetooth on the phone advanced menu for trouble with voice and it fixes that, but skipping and auto play on connect stop working.

Have not hooked up the 450 external receiver yet, do you have these issues with that device on 8.1.1?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium