How exactly does one go from gdr1 do to cyan?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Edit: The "do" in the title should say "dp" (autocorrect).

Do I still have to rollback to 8.0, or is there a fix being worked on that'll allow me to avoid rolling back?

Can I reinstall dp 1 after installing cyan, regardless of whether I have to rollback first or not?

Eeh I'm confused. I just installed a preview of an updated version of something I don't s even have the full version of, and eventually Nokia is going to try to install their version of something I already have a newer version of?

This has disaster written all over it. I just hope my phone doesn't brick somewhere during this process

Last edited:

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Cyan is a separate update that updates the firmware. When a fix is available, you will be able to update to it, assuming it is available for your phone/carrier. It doesn't matter whether or not you have update 1 DP installed. You also have the option of rolling back to 8.0, updating to Cyan and 8.1 officially (if available) and then installing DP of update 1.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
We wont really know if any issues until they arise. Are firmware and OS packaged separately when received OTA? Maybe you'll just get the firmware and the OS will stay where it is. I dunno.

Its a pretty painless process to downgrade with Nokia's software though. Just takes some time. Also, it forces you to hard reset, which may not be a bad idea anyways.

I'm about to load Update 1 on my 1020 which hasn't got Cyan yet. Not too concerned about it. Curious how it will run on older firmware. :p

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Cyan is a separate update that updates the firmware. When a fix is available, you will be able to update to it, assuming it is available for your phone/carrier. It doesn't matter whether or not you have update 1 DP installed. You also have the option of rolling back to 8.0, updating to Cyan and 8.1 officially (if available) and then installing DP of update 1.

Isn't Cyan a combination of new Nokia firmware AND WP 8.1?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
We wont really know if any issues until they arise. Are firmware and OS packaged separately when received OTA? Maybe you'll just get the firmware and the OS will stay where it is. I dunno.

Its a pretty painless process to downgrade with Nokia's software though. Just takes some time. Also, it forces you to hard reset, which may not be a bad idea anyways.

I'm about to load Update 1 on my 1020 which hasn't got Cyan yet. Not too concerned about it. Curious how it will run on older firmware. :p
That's what I'm confused about. I thought Cyan was a nokia-specific flavor of the os bundled with a firmware update. In that case is cyan going to give me the 'official' 8.1 wiht new firmware, in which case I then run a check for updates to get back the gdr1 preview?

I haven't seen any news on whether they fixed the BitLocker issue so that i won't have to rollback to 8.0 before upgrading and I have BitLocker so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do when Cyan becomes available.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Isn't Cyan a combination of new Nokia firmware AND WP 8.1?

Cyan is a firmware update that is packaged with WP 8.1. When you install it, if you already have WP 8.1 (or WP 8.1 update 1) installed, it will not reinstall or downgrade the OS, only update the firmware. The only issue here is that Cyan update is temporarily halted for those with DP installed due to the Bitlocker issue.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Cyan is a firmware update that is packaged with WP 8.1. When you install it, if you already have WP 8.1 (or WP 8.1 update 1) installed, it will not reinstall or downgrade the OS, only update the firmware. The only issue here is that Cyan update is temporarily halted for those with DP installed due to the Bitlocker issue.
so then how would i get the full version of 8.1 if i have dp and cyan won't update it?

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
so then how would i get the full version of 8.1 if i have dp and cyan won't update it?

I think you are confused. The 8.1 included with the previous DP is the full and final version of 8.1, the same that is packaged with Cyan. Now, the new DP that came out this week is more up to date than that one. If you update to it, the only way to go back to the previous version will be to perform the rollback and then do the updates without DP.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Basically, unless Microsoft release a fix for the bit locker problem, you must roll back to 8.0, download cyan then get DP again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster