Live Folders - Your opinion?

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I adore them! It's fantastic. BUT!

Basically it's exactly the same as iOS did it years ago. And we can all be so futuristic and lovely about this but fact is very simple: This should have been implemented years, years ago! It was the lack of function in Windows Phone for years, even though I just recently switched. My phone is 6 inch and I could easily live with a large start screen but the folders function gives me more of an easy approach to apps.

And, this is my fav, it shows the background better! Note to the topic starter: Share your wallpaper! :D Please, it looks good.

xpressoz

May 29, 2014
Visit site
When i open a live folder and close it back my background image it's shifting up and down a bit like is trying to fill up the space and resizeing the image, anyone haveing this problem too? Lumia 520 Dev

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I adore them! It's fantastic. BUT!

Basically it's exactly the same as iOS did it years ago. And we can all be so futuristic and lovely about this but fact is very simple: This should have been implemented years, years ago! It was the lack of function in Windows Phone for years, even though I just recently switched. My phone is 6 inch and I could easily live with a large start screen but the folders function gives me more of an easy approach to apps.

And, this is my fav, it shows the background better! Note to the topic starter: Share your wallpaper! :D Please, it looks good.

Apple may have modernized the smartphone but they in no way perfected it.

Microsoft is taking things the whole new level and they have been.

No one can deny that.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have to say, I never saw this one coming. These live folders are the most innovative thing I've seen in a long while...on any device. Well done WP Devs.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Apple may have modernized the smartphone but they in no way perfected it.
Microsoft is taking things the whole new level and they have been.
No one can deny that.

A whole new level? I'm sorry but what's "a whole new level" about this folder function? That it's transparant? So is it on iOS. That you can make the tiles bigger or smaller inside the folder? Yeah, but that has nothing to do with the folder function because it was already on the phone itself. I rest my case: This should have been here 4 years earlier Microsoft.

But it's here now.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I have to say, I never saw this one coming. These live folders are the most innovative thing I've seen in a long while...on any device. Well done WP Devs.
I share you thoughts exactly in the same manner......i have now 5 folders on my homescreen and they have made it sooooo usefull that its really hard to imagine WP without it any further...... 😉

msalmank

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
To those asking for the Start Background that I'm using, please see the update/links in the first post.

Regards.
Salman Khalid.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Before I got the update, I thought the folders thing was really dumb. Having tried it out for five minutes yesterday, I immediately switched my entire homescreen around to take advantage of the feature, because it's great. Having a bunch of wide tiles grouped into one folder works great. I really love their implementation of this.

I think it does need a couple tweaks though. Like one, there should never be so many blank squares in the folder. It can shift around and make them bigger to compensate for that. And two, the centering of the folder when you press the button to slide it open needs a little bit of work.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I can see the value for people so these are really just my own opinions. For me though, I find them to be aesthetically unappealing and a bit clumsy. They also seem to me to be a significant design departure from both the WP and Windows 8 concepts. Finally, even if only minor I don't like the layering of additional battery drains that seem to be making their way to the start screen. It would be nice if was a static display instead of cycling transparent live tiles.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Those complaining about it being a non static display cycling thru all the time, can't you just put fewer tiles within that particular folder then they wont cycle. I also found the auto scrolling thru of my tiles within the folder to be annoying since it made me wait a bit to see any updated tiles in the folder. So I either put fewer in the large tile folder(9max) or used a wide tile on my icon. Could also add a second folder tile if needed.

EDIT: Or see post above mine^^
Another good idea.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss