Live Folders - Your opinion?

bryanibuan

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Useful for me. I got two fb groups and 2 fb pages that I always check and are pinned on my Start screen for fast access. Now I have put all of those in one folder. Sweet.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
A whole new level? I'm sorry but what's "a whole new level" about this folder function? That it's transparant? So is it on iOS. That you can make the tiles bigger or smaller inside the folder? Yeah, but that has nothing to do with the folder function because it was already on the phone itself. I rest my case: This should have been here 4 years earlier Microsoft.
But it's here now.

The folder function doesn't matter, we have had folders since the beginning of time. Apple didn't invent anything new.
All they did was add the function to do it on the phone.
And Woopie, icons can be added to a folder on the main screen.

MS's implementation of it far exceeds Apples unimaginary, less than innovative concept.

Not even Android could have conceived of this design or implemented it very well.
How long as Android and iPhone been out now?

They stole the concepts from Blackberry and Windows Mobile and innovated the modernization of the Smart Phone
They innovated nothing further since.

Live Tiles and Live Folders,,, those are true innovations of the smart phone
Hell, they will further modernize the Windows OS with it, when they are start bringing nested Interactive Tiles.
Most likely this will be in Win9.

I rest my case.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I agree that Live Tiles and or Live Folders are innovations and help modern Windows Phones ahead. But I can't read in your post what exactly makes the Live Folder better than folders on iOS. What Apple did in my eyes is keeping it dead plain simple. Yes, perhaps easy. But what did Microsoft do with Live Folders? Nothing special, at least not to be wowing about. Seriously not if you just switched from iOS to WP8.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I can see the value for people so these are really just my own opinions. For me though, I find them to be aesthetically unappealing and a bit clumsy. They also seem to me to be a significant design departure from both the WP and Windows 8 concepts. Finally, even if only minor I don't like the layering of additional battery drains that seem to be making their way to the start screen. It would be nice if was a static display instead of cycling transparent live tiles.

I agree. While folder tiles have a use for people that want to cram every single thing on their start screen I just don't see myself using them that much. The 3-column Start screen in 8.1 already has more than enough room for me to pin everything I need.

courtneyg2013

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Great feature, not ground breaking but works well. Would really like to a lot more innovation from Mircosoft/Nokia. Nokia camera really needs a hell of a lot of work to make it a standout selling point. Hopefully we get an update on the 1020 (but I feel this was just an experiment from Nokia so I won't hold my breath) Love the 930 but it just needs a better camera.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree. While folder tiles have a use for people that want to cram every single thing on their start screen I just don't see myself using them that much. The 3-column Start screen in 8.1 already has more than enough room for me to pin everything I need.
I use it to group apps I don't use as often but want easy access to. That way the apps I use very often are easier to get to and stand out more.

anon(5789608)

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
i created just five live folders for applications that I use rarely:

productivity (office, files etc)
entertainment (games, music, podcast, games etc)
photograph (nokia apps etc)
bing+here (just bing and here apps)
tools (stopwatch, soundrecorder, speedtest.net etc)

zknpmLw.jpg

mkmarine

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, it's one of the best implementations of a feature in WP history. My favorite use of it is having my "friends" folder and my "family" folder with the pinned contacts. So clean.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
These look especially fantastic on the Lumia 1520. My son said he planned to give me his 1520 because he was going to get another phone. Now it's "Dad, about that.." grrrr. :)

thebcooper

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
It feels a bit... messy (even for windows phone design standards). Maybe they will refine it with time, or just leave it and call it good. Animations are cool and creation and such of the folders are brilliant, just the end result feels lacking.

Nalin Khanduri1

May 29, 2014
Visit site
no logic behind comparing these live folders to the Ios folders,there we can actually move our stuff inside the folders from the start screen,like if we are concerned about our chat privacy,but in windows phone all the apps are already present in swype menu are can't be moved actually..this is insignificant update,and secondly if we want to use our stuff from one place,we could app folder too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel