View Poll Results: Live Folders - Everything you expected?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I love them!

89 90.82%
  • No! They are not as useless as I expected.

9 9.18%
03-21-2015 04:50 PM
157 ... 4567
tools
    I start to get annoyed because it slows certain tasks down. Got to touch the Start Menu multiple times to get to some apps now.
    08-15-2014 05:22 AM
    To follow up a bit what StephanW said I don't know if it has been mentioned before since I have not read the whole thread but I would like it if once you open an app that is in a live folder the folder closes and the start screen returns to 'normal'. As they are right now if you back out from the app the live folder is still expanded. Only if you press the start button is the live folder closed (or tapping it again).
    Captains likes this.
    08-16-2014 11:35 PM
    To follow up a bit what StephanW said I don't know if it has been mentioned before since I have not read the whole thread but I would like it if once you open an app that is in a live folder the folder closes and the start screen returns to 'normal'. As they are right now if you back out from the app the live folder is still expanded. Only if you press the start button is the live folder closed (or tapping it again).
    Or pressing the back button once more, but yes, I do agree about this annoyance, but it doesn't stop me from using the awesome functionality.
    08-17-2014 12:01 AM
    I'd actually find that bothersome much of the time, since I have several folders organized so I can go through the apps in them one after the other, and don't want the folder closed between each one. I prefer the present manual close.
    08-17-2014 11:26 PM
    And that's why making everyone happy is impossible. We all have different tastes.

Although I must say if you want folders that never close you already have that without using folders. :P
    RumoredNow, hopmedic and tgp like this.
    08-18-2014 03:41 PM
    I would presume the logic is intact the way it is.... Back out of App takes you back to where you last were. I.E.: The folder.

Otherwise you have the Start (Windows) key for the start screen or long press back button for multitask view...
    08-18-2014 03:55 PM
    And that's why making everyone happy is impossible. We all have different tastes.

Although I must say if you want folders that never close you already have that without using folders. :P
    Ah, but that uses a lot more start screen real estate, which is one of the major benefits of live folders for me.
    08-19-2014 03:00 PM
    live-folders-suggestion.png
    A small suggestion.
    Last edited by mrdvos; 09-25-2014 at 01:09 AM.
    Ashish Gupta888 likes this.
    08-20-2014 04:51 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Live Folders  Suggestion.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	77367
    A small suggestion.
    I still think the bigger problem (as demonstrated in your photo) is that the opened folder is not centered and therefore it cuts off half the tiles within.
    08-20-2014 10:40 AM
    I still think the bigger problem (as demonstrated in your photo) is that the opened folder is not centered and therefore it cuts off half the tiles within.
    You can resize them.
    08-21-2014 03:39 AM
    I still have no use for it, they look great though, kudos to the design team ;)
    11-15-2014 12:32 AM
    You can resize them.
    Since someone else un-buried this old thread and I just now saw this reply to me in it, that's not at all what I'm talking about. I've got many folders that are all smaller than the available space on my screen. As in they're all four medium tiles tall (and the screen fits 5). However, when I press the button to open a folder, the OS doesn't center on that opened folder, meaning that despite the contents all being able to fit on one screen, I have to scroll down anyway. With how well-thought through live folders are in general, it's a silly oversight.
    F3rzz likes this.
    11-15-2014 11:53 AM
    I think the live tiles for these folders are personally a bit ugly, particularly with the long tile. That said, the way they handle is out of a dream for me. I like can you can name the folder like on other operating systems, store the tiles at any size you want from within the folder, and that you still get your notifications. It was really a near-perfect way to combine a basic feature into the slowly eroding Metro UI language.
    11-21-2014 04:08 AM
    Since someone else un-buried this old thread and I just now saw this reply to me in it, that's not at all what I'm talking about. I've got many folders that are all smaller than the available space on my screen. As in they're all four medium tiles tall (and the screen fits 5). However, when I press the button to open a folder, the OS doesn't center on that opened folder, meaning that despite the contents all being able to fit on one screen, I have to scroll down anyway. With how well-thought through live folders are in general, it's a silly oversight.
    I actually prefer it that way. Don't think it was an oversight, but a behavioral choice.
    11-21-2014 04:44 AM
    I love live folders! Usefull and looking great!
    Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20141121_0001.jpg  
    11-21-2014 04:48 AM
    i love the live folders. They aren't static and they tile changes. It's very good.
    rhapdog likes this.
    01-11-2015 03:52 PM
    One of the best features that came with update one
    01-11-2015 04:04 PM
    Live Folders are poorly implemented, you have to first pin Apps to Start Screen, then move the tiles over each other to create Live Folder this is be slow and tedious (if I missed something and there is a quicker way I'd love to know of it). Nokia App Folder let you multi-select apps from App List which was much easier. Live Folders do not let you add System Apps either.
    All I can say is smh
    01-30-2015 08:54 AM
    The basic implementation of folders is fine but there is a lot of visual distraction as the folder image keeps changing, constantly reorganizing the icons. This happens even if the internal live tiles are static.

I expect this is probably to make windows phone more attention-grabbing in shop displays. But for ordinary use it is very distracting. It would be good to have a setting where the folder icon doesn't keep changing.

You can get around it by making all the tiles in the folders the smallest possible size. Then the folder image stays static, but you then have to remember what all the small icons stand for.

Nevertheless live folders a major new feature which was lacking in WP8.1 and helps a lot with app organization.
    02-04-2015 12:17 PM
    The basic implementation of folders is fine but there is a lot of visual distraction as the folder image keeps changing, constantly reorganizing the icons. This happens even if the internal live tiles are static.

I expect this is probably to make windows phone more attention-grabbing in shop displays. But for ordinary use it is very distracting. It would be good to have a setting where the folder icon doesn't keep changing.

You can get around it by making all the tiles in the folders the smallest possible size. Then the folder image stays static, but you then have to remember what all the small icons stand for.

Nevertheless live folders a major new feature which was lacking in WP8.1 and helps a lot with app organization.
    Actually you couldn't be more wrong or you are a novice in WP OS.
    Let's put it this way:
    You have apps that can be fit in ... let's say 3 categories, INTERNET, SOCIAL, TOOLS (or PRODUCTIVITY)
    (You do know that you can RENAME your Live Folders, right? Of course you know that! :))
    So, in INTERNET you put apps like IE11, Opera Mini, Surfy, UC Browser, Youtube client, OneDrive (or other cloud apps). etc.
    In SOCIAL you put apps like Facebook, Twitter, Messenger (depends how many you have them), Instagram, etc
    In TOOLS you can put apps like Compass, Converter, Files (other File Managers), Maps (any maps app), etc
    So at this point you have pretty well categorized your apps and put them in their respective Live Folders. So, after using them for a few times, your brain already knows what is what in which Live Folder, so If you need to browse the net you already knows where those apps are or if you want to check your social network, you do the same, so what is it here so confusing, really?
    About "re-organizing" tiles, that is not true, that is only a visual effect when you see the (not opened) Live Folder tile, but if you open the Live Folder, every tile is on its place where you put them in the first place. Oh and I almost forgot to tell you that whenever you got a notification of some app which live tile is in the folder, you can see that without opening the Live Folder cuz the Live Folder will keep that app visual for you to see (or notice). This however doesn't works with the smallest tiles as far as i know, but maybe it does cuz i never used that size of tile.
    Hope i explain it a bit, and YES, I absolutely love Live Folders :))))
    dKp1977 likes this.
    02-08-2015 09:56 AM

*desperately searching for a dislike button*
    rhapdog likes this.
    02-08-2015 10:02 AM
    Yeah, I can't find it either. *groan*
    02-08-2015 01:43 PM
    Yeah, I can't find it either. *groan*
    Guys guys, don't be so harsh, he was just confused, i hope we explain him good and he will see and understand the Live folders better now. :))))
    02-08-2015 01:50 PM
    Actually you couldn't be more wrong or you are a novice in WP OS.
    Erm no. Live tiles couldn't be more obvious and hardly need explanation.
    About "re-organizing" tiles, that is not true, that is only a visual effect when you see the (not opened) Live Folder tile, but if you open the Live Folder, every tile is on its place where you put them in the first place.
    The problem is the reorganization of tiles in the folder tile when closed.
    Oh and I almost forgot to tell you that whenever you got a notification of some app which live tile is in the folder, you can see that without opening the Live Folder cuz the Live Folder will keep that app visual for you to see (or notice).
    That feature is good. The problem is not that tiles are updated but that they are reordered continually within the closed tile icon, distracting the user by giving the visual impression that something has changed (human perception being drawn to visual changes) when nothing has happened. This happens even if none of the tiles in the folder are live.
    02-11-2015 04:16 PM
    Btw it's a shame to see this is still some sort of fanboy haven where requests to add a feature (option to turn off live folder rearrangement) are meet with derision.

I like WP8.1.1 including the new live folders feature but the visual implementation is not perfect.
    02-11-2015 04:41 PM
157 ... 4567