Live Folders - Your opinion?

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Live Folders are poorly implemented, you have to first pin Apps to Start Screen, then move the tiles over each other to create Live Folder this is be slow and tedious (if I missed something and there is a quicker way I'd love to know of it). Nokia App Folder let you multi-select apps from App List which was much easier. Live Folders do not let you add System Apps either.

All I can say is smh

CSMR250

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
The basic implementation of folders is fine but there is a lot of visual distraction as the folder image keeps changing, constantly reorganizing the icons. This happens even if the internal live tiles are static.

I expect this is probably to make windows phone more attention-grabbing in shop displays. But for ordinary use it is very distracting. It would be good to have a setting where the folder icon doesn't keep changing.

You can get around it by making all the tiles in the folders the smallest possible size. Then the folder image stays static, but you then have to remember what all the small icons stand for.

Nevertheless live folders a major new feature which was lacking in WP8.1 and helps a lot with app organization.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
The basic implementation of folders is fine but there is a lot of visual distraction as the folder image keeps changing, constantly reorganizing the icons. This happens even if the internal live tiles are static.

I expect this is probably to make windows phone more attention-grabbing in shop displays. But for ordinary use it is very distracting. It would be good to have a setting where the folder icon doesn't keep changing.

You can get around it by making all the tiles in the folders the smallest possible size. Then the folder image stays static, but you then have to remember what all the small icons stand for.

Nevertheless live folders a major new feature which was lacking in WP8.1 and helps a lot with app organization.

Actually you couldn't be more wrong or you are a novice in WP OS.
Let's put it this way:
You have apps that can be fit in ... let's say 3 categories, INTERNET, SOCIAL, TOOLS (or PRODUCTIVITY)
(You do know that you can RENAME your Live Folders, right? Of course you know that! :))
So, in INTERNET you put apps like IE11, Opera Mini, Surfy, UC Browser, Youtube client, OneDrive (or other cloud apps). etc.
In SOCIAL you put apps like Facebook, Twitter, Messenger (depends how many you have them), Instagram, etc
In TOOLS you can put apps like Compass, Converter, Files (other File Managers), Maps (any maps app), etc
So at this point you have pretty well categorized your apps and put them in their respective Live Folders. So, after using them for a few times, your brain already knows what is what in which Live Folder, so If you need to browse the net you already knows where those apps are or if you want to check your social network, you do the same, so what is it here so confusing, really?
About "re-organizing" tiles, that is not true, that is only a visual effect when you see the (not opened) Live Folder tile, but if you open the Live Folder, every tile is on its place where you put them in the first place. Oh and I almost forgot to tell you that whenever you got a notification of some app which live tile is in the folder, you can see that without opening the Live Folder cuz the Live Folder will keep that app visual for you to see (or notice). This however doesn't works with the smallest tiles as far as i know, but maybe it does cuz i never used that size of tile.
Hope i explain it a bit, and YES, I absolutely love Live Folders :))))

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

*desperately searching for a dislike button*

CSMR250

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Actually you couldn't be more wrong or you are a novice in WP OS.
Erm no. Live tiles couldn't be more obvious and hardly need explanation.
About "re-organizing" tiles, that is not true, that is only a visual effect when you see the (not opened) Live Folder tile, but if you open the Live Folder, every tile is on its place where you put them in the first place.
The problem is the reorganization of tiles in the folder tile when closed.
Oh and I almost forgot to tell you that whenever you got a notification of some app which live tile is in the folder, you can see that without opening the Live Folder cuz the Live Folder will keep that app visual for you to see (or notice).
That feature is good. The problem is not that tiles are updated but that they are reordered continually within the closed tile icon, distracting the user by giving the visual impression that something has changed (human perception being drawn to visual changes) when nothing has happened. This happens even if none of the tiles in the folder are live.

CSMR250

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Btw it's a shame to see this is still some sort of ****** haven where requests to add a feature (option to turn off live folder rearrangement) are meet with derision.

I like WP8.1.1 including the new live folders feature but the visual implementation is not perfect.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I, personally, have no issues with an option to turn off the rearranging of the tiles inside the live folder tile. However, the basic reasoning of this was for live folders to be able to display all the tiles in a rotating fashion, because many times the many tiles inside cannot be seen all at once, because there are too many. I only have one live folder where I can see all the tiles.

If I'm not mistaken, there is an app called "App Folder". It will allow you to arrange the tiles inside a tile, display 6 at a time. The tiles inside are not "live" however, but this option may be handy for those you don't wish to move and don't need to see a live status.

I love the live folders. The App Folder also has its place.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Erm no. Live tiles couldn't be more obvious and hardly need explanation.

The problem is the reorganization of tiles in the folder tile when closed.

That feature is good. The problem is not that tiles are updated but that they are reordered continually within the closed tile icon, distracting the user by giving the visual impression that something has changed (human perception being drawn to visual changes) when nothing has happened. This happens even if none of the tiles in the folder are live.
- So what you are actually saying is that you don't like the visual effect of moving live tiles inside the Live Folder tile, right? That is not called "re-organizing", that is called "moving". Saying re-organized, makes a little bit of confusion. Anyway, about that, ... they are called LIVE FOLDERS with a reason. I think I did explain to you pretty detailed how that works. Don't know if you understand it or not. BUT, if you are suggesting that an "option" is need to be added like "Static Live Folder Tile" and "Dynamic Live Folder Tile", then I might understand. An added option about something is always welcomed, but then, the name Live Folder wouldn't make any sense. "Static" Live Folder .... see the point?
On the other hand, you can re-name the folder and that way you know what's in it, and the tiles that you put inside that Live Folder will be on the same place as you place them in the first place. The moving tiles on the Live Folder tile is just a visual effect. It might be confusing for the first time WP user, but after 2-3 times you get use to it. I really don't see what is so confusing there? :)

Btw it's a shame to see this is still some sort of ****** haven where requests to add a feature (option to turn off live folder rearrangement) are meet with derision.

I like WP8.1.1 including the new live folders feature but the visual implementation is not perfect.
Why the hell do you think that someone here is making fun of your request? Have you ever heard about Constructive Debates?
That's what we do here, no one is mocking anyone here. For example: I said my opinion about something and you might know more about that matter and you just point me that, proving me that I am not well informed or that i was mistaken for thinking like that. But you do that only if you have valid information to disagree with mine or anyone's opinions. You don't do that just because you can't take it someone to know more about something than you. That, my friend, is a Constructive Debate.
So, are we clear now? Any other question you have? Don't be afraid, we are all here one big WP family :) Cheers.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...I don't think I'll be using the Folders. I like the tiles as is, On Android I used Folders and, quite frankly, needed them...

On Windows Phone I don't need to bundle. I group tiles together geographically in areas of similarity...

I think Folders is, in part, just to answer those critics from other OSs that, "Nyanyahnyahnyahnya, we got folders and you don't." Not a reason to use them, IMHO, just because they are necessary on another OS....

Aesthetically, I don't like the Folders as they start to force a uniformity of look onto the screen. "We are the Borg. Resistance is futile." I work to keep my tiles layout non-symmetrical....

...Just my two cents.

Continue on, Folder People, as will I.

Peace and groovyness of Windows Phone be upon you all...

So back in early August I was on P4D with a 925. I saw the advent of live folders and declared my anti-folder views in a rather long post (abbreviated in the quote). Shortly afterward, I moved to a Lumia 1520 which I kept on official, and therefore folderless, Cyan.

Fast forward to March 2015. In the same week my 1520.3 got Update 1 + Denim (with Live Folders) plus I took delivery of a Blu Win HD which updated to 8.1 Update 1 out of the box. I was test driving the Blu quite extensively so I could do a review and also satisfy myself it was a worthy backup (which I concluded it is for me).

On the Blu Win HD I started using the Live Folders as a part of my habit and I confess; I became addicted and now see the Live Folder LIGHT!!! Can I get a Halleluiah!!!

I was wrong back in August. I now correct the record and apologize to any who were off put by my comments or were led astray from the path of True Live Folder Goodness by what I said in a sin of pride and intolerance.

I'm back on the 1520.3 and that now has Live Folders mixed with tiles. Everything I need to see and quick access bundles of what I want within reach.

I am very contrite.

May the power of the Live Folder be thine!!!

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
So back in early August I was on P4D with a 925. I saw the advent of live folders and declared my anti-folder views in a rather long post (abbreviated in the quote). Shortly afterward, I moved to a Lumia 1520 which I kept on official, and therefore folderless, Cyan.

Fast forward to March 2015. In the same week my 1520.3 got Update 1 + Denim (with Live Folders) plus I took delivery of a Blu Win HD which updated to 8.1 Update 1 out of the box. I was test driving the Blu quite extensively so I could do a review and also satisfy myself it was a worthy backup (which I concluded it is for me).

On the Blu Win HD I started using the Live Folders as a part of my habit and I confess; I became addicted and now see the Live Folder LIGHT!!! Can I get a Halleluiah!!!

I was wrong back in August. I now correct the record and apologize to any who were off put by my comments or were led astray from the path of True Live Folder Goodness by what I said in a sin of pride and intolerance.

I'm back on the 1520.3 and that now has Live Folders mixed with tiles. Everything I need to see and quick access bundles of what I want within reach.

I am very contrite.

May the power of the Live Folder be thine!!!

Halleluiah brother! You saw the light ... finally. :)
Here is my Start Screen screenshot at the moment of writing this.
As you can see, everything is organized along with Live Folders and there is no scrolling up and down, what you see on the screenshot is what i got on the Start Screen. :)
(Samsung ATIV S i8750, WP8.1.1)
wp_ss_20150319_0002.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos