Update 1 Feature List

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
So I bet you're wondering what's new in this update? Wonder no more. Here's a handy list:

Multicultural Cortana (China, UK and more...)
It's a big deal because it's potentially quite a large market for Windows Phone. Cortana has a new culturally-relevant look in this market and while it's only an alpha at the moment, it's important that she's making her way to China, the UK and users in other countries (currently India, Canada and Australia) can sign up for the alpha too, featuring support for regional voice, text and speech as well as localised suggestions for a variety of things.

Oh, and Cortana is continuing to get updated support in the US, with new natural language scenarios, more chit-chat and even hands-free use.

Smart Cover Support
This is going to be similar to what we see on some Android devices, taking your Windows Phone experience beyond your screen.

New Resolutions and Screen Sizes

This update brings support for qHD (960x540) and 12x800 - this will mean larger 7-inch screen support too.

Live Folders

Arguably the biggest new feature, simply drag and drop some of your live tiles into a folder (e.g. put all your photography apps together) and you can theme your start screen into groups. The best thing is that because it's Windows Phone, you'll still be able to see each tile's live tile notifications.

Xbox Music Update

The Xbox Music app gets a big update that fixes problems and adds new features such as Now Playing on the live tile (a long time coming!)

SMS Updates

Now you can select multiple texts (tap to the left of a message) and delete or forward them all in one shot.

Apps Corner

Businesses can use this to restrict the apps you can install (great for enterprise use) or it can be used to boot directly into an app, which is great for retail stores.

Consumer VPN

A great new feature. You can turn on 'consumer VPN' which will protect your phone and your data when you're on public Wi-Fi networks. If you're on your home network you can use this to make sure no peeping-toms connected to your network can see you or what you're doing.

Support for APTx Audio
This will allow for higher and better quality audio support over Bluetooth rather than the currently supported format, A2DP.

CDMS + GSM dual-sim support

Not useful for everyone, but this is a big deal in places like China where the biggest mobile networks use both network types.

Bluetooth Accessory Notifications

This will let you receive notifications on wearable devices and smart glasses etc.

Bluetooth Internet Sharing
Now you can share your internet connection through your Bluetooth connection.

Use SD Card in Update
Ever gotten an "out of space" error because your device is a little too full? Not anymore! Now your phone can use the free space on your SD card to update.

High Voltage Charging Support

This works on existing devices, so you don't need a new phone to take advantage of this. This will let you charge your phone quicker using the Qualcomm Quickcharge 2.0 standard.

Store Live Tile Improvements

When you display the store tile at medium size, it will become a live tile and show new apps, app of the day etc.

Of course, you're wondering how you can get this update on your device. You can get this NOW! You just need to sign up for the Developer Preview (learn how to here) and then go to settings>phone update>check for updates and download it!

Last edited:

nilchak

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Also support for APTx audio codecs apart from existing A2DP.
This will allow higher and better quality Audio support over BT rather than what A2DP allows currently.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
High Voltage Charging Support
This works on existing devices, so you don't need a new phone to take advantage of this. This will let you charge your phone quicker using the Qualcomm Quickcharge 2.0 standard.

o.o wait so my 810 could take advantage of it? I thought it was only for the new SD 800 chipset

anon(8075033)

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
"High Voltage Charging Support
This works on existing devices"

I read somewhere that this works only on devices that has Snapdragon 800? I have Nokia Lumia 820 and it has Snapdragon S4, but this feature works with my phone too?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
"High Voltage Charging Support
This works on existing devices"

I read somewhere that this works only on devices that has Snapdragon 800? I have Nokia Lumia 820 and it has Snapdragon S4, but this feature works with my phone too?

I got this from Paul Thurrott's website, where he says:

High voltage charging support. This technology lets you charge your phone more quickly using the Qualcomm Quickcharge 2.0 standard, and it works on existing devices (doesn't require a new phone).

I'll update as and when I know more. You could read that as this works for current devices that support this tech, and you won't have to go out and buy a new phone specifically for this.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I got this from Paul Thurrott's website, where he says:

I'll update as and when I know more. You could read that as this works for current devices that support this tech, and you won't have to go out and buy a new phone specifically for this.

if it works for SD s4.....HELL YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Another small addition - the little activity arrows above the cell and WiFi signals no longer move the icons to the right when they appear.

Looks lots nicer for that small fix.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I know you refer to the hands free use for Cortana. However, I think a further explanation is needed as to what that means. In a car with Bluetooth and phone book support, you can say call cortana, and cortna would be activated. You can then have cortana play music or whatever, all with out taking your phone out of your pocket.

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget the phonebook entry for Cortana as a new feature! This is long awaited for me, since my car doesn't let me directly trigger Cortana. This way I can tell my car to dial Cortana, and then she starts listening without me having to look at my phone!

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget the phonebook entry for Cortana as a new feature! This is long awaited for me, since my car doesn't let me directly trigger Cortana. This way I can tell my car to dial Cortana, and then she starts listening without me having to look at my phone!

Yep, I tried that today and it worked great. Hopefully with everyone having Cortana, Siri, or Google, the car companies will get feedback from consumers to stop sticking their rubbish speak recognition phone directories in the way of our far superior phone speech engines.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Do we know what is required for aptX to work? Anything like new hardware, Cyan or future firmware release, etc.? I subjectively tested it today and the quality didn't seem any better than regular BT audio. Using an audio cable to the same speaker gave better sound.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb